Beam Me Up Scotty Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

UK Auction To Feature Spock Costume
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old March 31 2014, 06:53 AM   #256
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Rewatching Blake's 7

We saw no(?) entertainment media or infotainment or news as we understand it.

More so, basic drug and subliminal programming on every citizen in the Federation would have installed triggers as to how they react and conduct themselves in the presence of any freedom fighter called "Blake".

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 08:27 AM   #257
Candlelight
Admiral

One main culprit is in Powerplay; the Federation's own Death Squad don't even recognise Avon when he's right in front of them.
Old March 31 2014, 09:02 AM   #258
Candlelight
Admiral

C10: ULTRAWORLD

A very basic storyline but with great 70s BBC special effects. I vividly remember this one as a child and loved it. It doesn't quite fill the full 50 minutes, and it's sad to see Cally get so little to do. Tarrent and Dayna run the episode, the Core is silly but effective and the devouring of the humans once they're used up is chilling. Vila's riddles are within character and for once are used as a weapon, although the resolution is ripped straight out of Redemption.
Old March 31 2014, 12:37 PM   #259
Starkers
Admiral

With regard to Blake it is strange that no one recognises him, but I guess it’s sort of explainable, as Guy says we never get much of a feel for the press/TV equivalents in the Blakes 7 universe (aside from Death Watch and that’s not Federation territory) though they must have something, I mean Blake originally recanted publically.

People not recognising Avon, or the others, makes more sense though I think. It’s like Bin Laden, everyone knew who he (Blake for sake of argument) was, he was the face of Al-Qaeda and most people would have recognised a picture of him, but show people a picture of al-Zawahiri and I imagine the % who recognised him would be significantly less.

I loved Sarcophagus, the Avon/Cally interplay, the inventive, somewhat surreal back story to the ring, the use of only the main cast…definitely Tanith Lee’s better B7 script (though I do like Sand).

Ultraworld is ok, a little silly in places and feels a little like a series 1 episode. Cally effectively possessed again though. Tarrant and Dayna have some nice interplay, as do Orac and Vila.
Old March 31 2014, 07:24 PM   #260
Saul
Rear Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Saul wrote: View Post
I found Tarrant to be something of a Blake clone...
Its the hair isn't it

I think the only think Tarrant and Blake share is a sense of their own importance, it's probably just more justified in Blake's case. Tarrant is more mercenary and far less political. He'd happily see the Federation fall, but that's more self intrest than a desire to free the masses.
Definitely the hair is a giveaway but also the fact that he was a foil for Avon when he came onboard basically saying the Liberator was his.
Old March 31 2014, 09:18 PM   #261
Candlelight
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
People not recognising Avon, or the others, makes more sense though I think. It’s like Bin Laden, everyone knew who he (Blake for sake of argument) was, he was the face of Al-Qaeda and most people would have recognised a picture of him, but show people a picture of al-Zawahiri and I imagine the % who recognised him would be significantly less.
Good point, however Al Qaeda are a terrorist organisation with many splinter cells and factions all over the world consisting of several thousand members and sympathisers.

Blake's group were never more than six humans and a whopping great big space ship.
Old March 31 2014, 10:32 PM   #262
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Candlelight wrote: View Post

Blake's group were never more than six humans and a whopping great big space ship.
Here's a thought. Was there anything in the series that gave an indication of how big the Liberator was? (in the re-imaged radio series it was 2lm long but I don't think the original was that big).

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 10:34 PM   #263
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

During Iraq, US Forces were given 52 playing card sets with the faces of Saddam's top operatives as characters in the playing cards...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most-wa..._playing_cards

Effective but insulting and condescending. Some suit in Washington decided that this is how they will trick the grunts into learning, because their soldiers are so full of vice and sloth that they are expected to gamble endlessly more so than ever study the necessary information to be competent at their job.

Blake's group is 7 cards.... Maybe 12 with alternates, but they're not going to count Zen, and they will not want to acknowledge that ORAC exists to the rank and file.

Who is in the rest of the deck?

Can you imagine Federation Troopers on folding chairs playing Gin Rummy with a Deck of "Federations most wanted cards"?

Old March 31 2014, 11:28 PM   #264
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
During Iraq, US Forces were given 52 playing card sets with the faces of Saddam's top operatives as characters in the playing cards...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most-wa..._playing_cards

Effective but insulting and condescending. Some suit in Washington decided that this is how they will trick the grunts into learning, because their soldiers are so full of vice and sloth that they are expected to gamble endlessly more so than ever study the necessary information to be competent at their job.

Blake's group is 7 cards.... Maybe 12 with alternates, but they're not going to count Zen, and they will not want to acknowledge that ORAC exists to the rank and file.

Who is in the rest of the deck?

Can you imagine Federation Troopers on folding chairs playing Gin Rummy with a Deck of "Federations most wanted cards"?
On a tangent, in Harvest Of Kyros, Servelan says Zen is "every bit as impudent as I've heard"

Wonder who told her the Liberator's central system impertinent nature cos I don't think Federation personel where on the ship that much.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Old March 31 2014, 11:51 PM   #265
Candlelight
Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
Was there anything in the series that gave an indication of how big the Liberator was? (in the re-imaged radio series it was 2lm long but I don't think the original was that big).
You can do the math yourself:

I doubt it was 2 miles.
Old April 1 2014, 12:02 AM   #266
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post
Marc wrote: View Post
Was there anything in the series that gave an indication of how big the Liberator was? (in the re-imaged radio series it was 2lm long but I don't think the original was that big).
You can do the math yourself:

I doubt it was 2 miles.
Damn typos - in the audios it's 2Km

But I'd forgotten about that there was the shot of the London next to the Liberator.

The other comparison I guess would the space station (XK-27?) in Breakdown but wasn't sure because we are talking about 1970s BBC SFX
So yeah big ship.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Old April 1 2014, 12:10 AM   #267
diankra
Commodore

When I tried to work it out from the Space Fall fx shots I got about 900m. Scorpio comes out at about 40-50m (docking tube in Gold). Must redo it though as the Dvd'S clearer than the vhs, and I did the workout 25 years ago...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 02:39 AM   #268
Candlelight
Admiral

Wouldn't it have been a dull show if Blake had succeeded in taking over the London and used that as his ship, never finding the Liberator...
Old April 1 2014, 03:49 AM   #269
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

But every time on the spaceradio that he says "LONDON CALLING!" you have to take a shot.

Old April 1 2014, 04:03 AM   #270
Candlelight
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
But every time on the spaceradio that he says "LONDON CALLING!" you have to take a shot.
What about "Avon calling"...?