CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 6 2014, 03:23 AM   #136
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Rewatching Blake's 7

Sad American here wishing he knew what any of you were talking about but I don't because the DVDs have never been released in R1.
Old March 6 2014, 03:42 AM   #137
Candlefright
Admiral

B06: TRIAL

Boucher really takes the series by the balls and shakes it up (if you pardon the ugly metaphor). Travis goes from Servalan favourite to puppet prisoner with a staged trial Stalin would've been proud of. Zil's storyline is great and nicely (though oh-so-bloody-obviously) mirrors Blake's personal struggles. Restoring the legend indeed.
Old March 6 2014, 03:50 AM   #138
Candlefright
Admiral

One additional note; having watched all 17 of Gan's episodes it really does leave a void on the ship that will never be filled. Yes he was under utilised but I chalk that mostly up to Nation's writing in the first series. The dynamic will never be the same again. Orac is ok as a replacement but the shock of writing a character out is painfully obvious as a cost cutting measure.
Old March 6 2014, 04:44 AM   #139
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Sad American here wishing he knew what any of you were talking about but I don't because the DVDs have never been released in R1.
I believe it's all on Youtube. Here's The First ep, and I believe you can follow the links on the right hand side of the screen for the rest of the 4 Series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km9GdKM9pa4

I just verfied clicking the first link takes you all the way through S1 and into S2 (And I saw many futu8re future eps, further down), so, I think it's all there (Just keep clicking the top link when you finish an episode for the next episode)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 04:54 AM   #140
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Candlelight wrote: View Post
One additional note; having watched all 17 of Gan's episodes it really does leave a void on the ship that will never be filled. Yes he was under utilised but I chalk that mostly up to Nation's writing in the first series. The dynamic will never be the same again. Orac is ok as a replacement but the shock of writing a character out is painfully obvious as a cost cutting measure.
Gan I think provided a bit of a moral compass on occasions (Shadow is a prime example) and after he was killed there was no-one who filled that role and as Vila said in Trial - very straight foward.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 07:22 AM   #141
Candlefright
Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
Gan I think provided a bit of a moral compass on occasions (Shadow is a prime example) and after he was killed there was no-one who filled that role and as Vila said in Trial - very straight foward.
Cally did the same thing, though she was very up and down. She had a growing moral concern with the crews actions, mostly in the third series, but at this stage she was still in her Auron terrorist role.
Old March 6 2014, 07:25 AM   #142
Candlefright
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
I believe it's all on Youtube. Here's The First ep, and I believe you can follow the links on the right hand side of the screen for the rest of the 4 Series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km9GdKM9pa4

I just verfied clicking the first link takes you all the way through S1 and into S2 (And I saw many futu8re future eps, further down), so, I think it's all there (Just keep clicking the top link when you finish an episode for the next episode)
*cough* download helper *cough*

Old March 6 2014, 10:52 AM   #143
The Haunting
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Cloke or Clake.

Pick one.
Took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about

I like Horizon, even if the brushstrokes are a little broad in places. The idea of Ro being taken away from his people then returned as their leader/Federation puppet is of course a call back to a lot of Imperial strategy across the globe. It does get a bit silly when the crew insist on teleporting down, despite the fact that the people before them vanished, but Avonís decision not to run does make sense. For all his cold logic he does need people, even if heíd rarely admit it.

Pressure Point is great, even if the scale feels a little small at times, and Kasabiís conversation with Servalan is chilling. The only silly bit (apart from the crew clambering down the same ladder over and over again ; ) is when Travis throws his strontium grenade, and then he and Servalan run towards where he threw it!) Ganís death comes out of nowhere, and as has been said Blakes fanaticism is clear to see ďIíve done it!Ē.

I love Trial, I think itís brilliant on almost every level, even if the Zil storyline is a trifle silly at times. Thereís just so much packed into here, and itís ironic that whilst Greif is the better Travis, Croucher gets the best Travis episode, and whilst heís portrayed as a psychopath, a thug and a murderer, he isnít a moustache twirling villain, and the comments of Trooper Parr (the late, great Kevin Lloyd) indicate an officer that at least had the respect of his men because he didnít waste troopers. Add to this Travisí assertion that heís a product of his training, and frankly he could be any officer, in any war across history. Even Servalan remakes that heís better than anything she has left.

And this is before we get to Servalanís machinations, the fallout over Ganís death and the discussions of the Liberator crew, before Blake encounters and alien and the Liberator launches an attack on Central Command...phew! And there' still time for Avon and Vila to almost steal the show. ďAvonís gadget works!Ē

As for Gan. I donít think the show missed him that much, which is a shame, but too often he didnít get enough to do, and with the limiter in place he was often not much good in any kind of conflict. He was the moral centre of the crew, though I think even from the get go so was Cally to some extent, and the show did miss that, but I think they were right to lose a character, and if they had to lose a character better Gan than any of the others, especially considering the original idea was for Vila to be the one to cop it. B7 without Vila doesnít bear thinking about!

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 06:11 PM   #144
Saul
Rear Admiral

Finally finished watching this series. That last episode was a bit of a mind ****.
Not sure if I would recommend this to anyone to watch. It's a cult thing so 'I' had to do that. But as a tv show, as a SF series it's not an easy watch.

BTW, Wondering when exactly did Blake regain his full memory?
Old March 6 2014, 06:14 PM   #145
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

No, he knew the whole time, he was just being a dick.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 09:37 AM   #146
Candlefright
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
As for Gan. I donít think the show missed him that much, which is a shame, but too often he didnít get enough to do
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs12/f/20...ratosmacca.jpg
Old March 7 2014, 09:38 AM   #147
The Haunting
Admiral

Thats cruel, funny but cruel!

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 12:15 PM   #148
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Starkers wrote: View Post
As for Gan. I donít think the show missed him that much, which is a shame, but too often he didnít get enough to do
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs12/f/20...ratosmacca.jpg
we did see Gan use his buttons in Bounty when he did his Uhara impersonation.

not that we ever really knew what the back stations where though how vila got the weapons is a mystery.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 12:14 AM   #149
Candlefright
Admiral

Gan always had the communications at the back right station, though Dayna/Zen took over that role later.

Jenna/Tarrant had flight duties at the center console.

Vila had weapons front left.

Can't remember what Cally had back left.

Avon front right did whatever the hell he wanted, though he seemed to deal with ship's systems most of the time.

I found it bizarre the force wall was activated at that lone console at front of the octagonal seating; you'd think it would be controlled by one of the others!
Old March 8 2014, 02:47 AM   #150
Candlefright
Admiral

B07: KILLER

Robert Holmes jumps ship from Doctor Who to deliver this little gem. Who director-turned-actor Morris Barry does a short cameo as Dr Wiler, while Paul Daneman does a good turn as Dr Bellfriar. Fosferon is a well realised colony with lots of sets and background characters. Avon and Vila really start to gel as a double act here. Cally and Jenna are left behind on the ship once again, a progession which would ultimately lead to Sally leaving the show and returning (briefly) to study. A handful of footage from 'Cygnus Alpha' and a rather bizarre leftover special effects shot from 'Space Fall' make an appearance. One small plothole is Blake came into contact with Gambrill, who was infected, yet Blake was not. Blake shows compasion for others in the final scene when he warns everyone off the planet, which goes against his character for episodes like Shadow, Pressure Point or Star One where he doesn't mind if people die en masse...