RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 439
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 1 2013, 04:35 AM   #46
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Re: Is it wrong...

I'm turning 30 in nine days.

Because as late as two years ago I was still making $16,000/year, my parents are still asking for a 'Birthday list' from me.

On Christmas I told them "Just get something that you think I'd like that I wouldn't think of buying, something that comes from you." They bought me socks and pasta sauce. The one good gift I got was a book called '1001 beers to have before you die'.

So I'm trying a new strategy this year. "Just forget the gifts, just take me to an expensive restaurant with the money you would have spent on gifts".
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 08:03 AM   #47
Data Holmes
Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
People do still care about birthdays. They may not hand out loads of presents like we got when we were kids, but birthdays still do matter. Just going out and having a nice dinner with family is often just as much fun as opening gifts.

Being with family is the best thing ever, IMHO. That and a new lawn mower of course.
Ugh. I had to mow the lawn this past weekend. Only "new lawn mower" I would want is one of those robotic ones, like the vacume and mop ones they have for in the house.

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I'm turning 30 in nine days.

Because as late as two years ago I was still making $16,000/year, my parents are still asking for a 'Birthday list' from me.

On Christmas I told them "Just get something that you think I'd like that I wouldn't think of buying, something that comes from you." They bought me socks and pasta sauce. The one good gift I got was a book called '1001 beers to have before you die'.

So I'm trying a new strategy this year. "Just forget the gifts, just take me to an expensive restaurant with the money you would have spent on gifts".
you will still end up getting gifts, at least one.
Old May 1 2013, 09:50 AM   #48
Candlelight
Admiral

Re: Is is wrong...

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Candlelight, congrats at the children-free evening out Don't worry: 40-ish is not bad at all. It's actually pretty good because by then the bigger worries are all sorted out and everything gets a bit calmer and more successful. You'll actually even have a bit of time again to enjoy life
Thanks! I look forward to a calmer life!
Old May 1 2013, 01:03 PM   #49
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
Ugh. I had to mow the lawn this past weekend. Only "new lawn mower" I would want is one of those robotic ones, like the vacume and mop ones they have for in the house.
That sounds incredibly dangerous.

Has Terminator taught you nothing?
Old May 1 2013, 08:42 PM   #50
Data Holmes
Admiral

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Data Holmes wrote: View Post
That sounds incredibly dangerous.

Has Terminator taught you nothing?
I grew up watching the Jetsons reruns. I've a balanced perspective on automation effecting our lives.