RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Posts: 5,430,416
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 439
Newest member: Enabran


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 1 2013, 04:35 AM   #46
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Re: Is it wrong...

I'm turning 30 in nine days.

Because as late as two years ago I was still making $16,000/year, my parents are still asking for a 'Birthday list' from me.

On Christmas I told them "Just get something that you think I'd like that I wouldn't think of buying, something that comes from you." They bought me socks and pasta sauce. The one good gift I got was a book called '1001 beers to have before you die'.

So I'm trying a new strategy this year. "Just forget the gifts, just take me to an expensive restaurant with the money you would have spent on gifts".
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 08:03 AM   #47
Data Holmes
Admiral
 
Data Holmes's Avatar
 
Location: In Exile
Re: Is it wrong...

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
People do still care about birthdays. They may not hand out loads of presents like we got when we were kids, but birthdays still do matter. Just going out and having a nice dinner with family is often just as much fun as opening gifts.

Being with family is the best thing ever, IMHO. That and a new lawn mower of course.
Ugh. I had to mow the lawn this past weekend. Only "new lawn mower" I would want is one of those robotic ones, like the vacume and mop ones they have for in the house.


JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I'm turning 30 in nine days.

Because as late as two years ago I was still making $16,000/year, my parents are still asking for a 'Birthday list' from me.

On Christmas I told them "Just get something that you think I'd like that I wouldn't think of buying, something that comes from you." They bought me socks and pasta sauce. The one good gift I got was a book called '1001 beers to have before you die'.

So I'm trying a new strategy this year. "Just forget the gifts, just take me to an expensive restaurant with the money you would have spent on gifts".
you will still end up getting gifts, at least one.
__________________
We first fought... in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change. -Serj Tankian
Data Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 09:50 AM   #48
Candlelight
Admiral
 
Candlelight's Avatar
 
Location: New Zealand
Re: Is is wrong...

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Candlelight, congrats at the children-free evening out Don't worry: 40-ish is not bad at all. It's actually pretty good because by then the bigger worries are all sorted out and everything gets a bit calmer and more successful. You'll actually even have a bit of time again to enjoy life
Thanks! I look forward to a calmer life!
__________________
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Candlelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 01:03 PM   #49
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME
 
Squiggy's Avatar
 
Location: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy
Re: Is it wrong...

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
Ugh. I had to mow the lawn this past weekend. Only "new lawn mower" I would want is one of those robotic ones, like the vacume and mop ones they have for in the house.
That sounds incredibly dangerous.

Has Terminator taught you nothing?
__________________
ENOUGH OF THIS TURGID BASH WANKERY!
Squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 08:42 PM   #50
Data Holmes
Admiral
 
Data Holmes's Avatar
 
Location: In Exile
Re: Is it wrong...

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Data Holmes wrote: View Post
Ugh. I had to mow the lawn this past weekend. Only "new lawn mower" I would want is one of those robotic ones, like the vacume and mop ones they have for in the house.
That sounds incredibly dangerous.

Has Terminator taught you nothing?
I grew up watching the Jetsons reruns. I've a balanced perspective on automation effecting our lives.
__________________
We first fought... in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change. -Serj Tankian
Data Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.