The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 22 2013, 09:15 PM   #16
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Re: Lost as an one-season miniseries

No way could LOST be done in a single season.

However, I think it could have been trimmed a bit. Season 3 should have evolved twice as fast. I got bored with the caged encampment bit. And I agree with the others that 5 and 6 could have been combined. The building up of the "crossed lives" took too long and was also a bit too esoteric for most people. When LOST ended there were so many people in an uproar about the confused ending (it was "The Prisoner" all over again). I don't suggest that the sophistication of the story be compromised to help reduce the whining, but I think it could have been conveyed in a little more "digestible" manner that would still keep the story integrity and satisfy a lot more people.

But in the end it was all about money making, and LOST sure made quite a number of people very VERY wealthy. It sure worked for them.
Old April 22 2013, 09:29 PM   #17
MacLeod
Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Venardhi wrote: View Post
The problem with LOST wasn't that it went on too long, but that the story we are introduced to at the beginning of the show is not the actual story. Every season or so they would have some big reveal that basically said "everything up until now was bullshit, HERE is the real story." When all was said and done, the final reveal was that, yet again, it was all bullshit.
No matter how good the character pieces were, no matter how interesting the flashbacks were, no matter how well any of it was done, the promised resolution was never going to be good enough. From about half way through I thought the end would be pants (I couldn't think of any way they could pull it off) and yes, it was pants.

The ride was great, but the destination was never going to live up to it. Shortening it would have reduced the amount of time I wasted on it, but not improved it...
I agree with this. I wasn't really disappointed in the ending because I never built up unrealistic expectations about it. What many people fail to catch is that the ONLY "purgatory" scenes are the flashbacks in the final season. Cut those out and the rest of the story actually happened in the context of the plot. I really liked the resolution and sense of closure for most of the characters, especially Ben and Hurley.

I do think the original poster is somewhat on the right track though. In the interest of milking the cash cow, the show went on way too long. Four full seasons would have been more than enough to tell the story well and completely.
I would agree that it might have been better if it was only four seasons long.

As for the ending, it had the misfortune to air in the same way another show earlier in the week end (Ashes to Ashes). So you had two shows that had similar themed endings.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 11:07 PM   #18
Morpheus 02
Commodore

In the meantime...as they apparently are still trying to milk something out of Lost (we see it on occasion on Facebook)...I think they need to partner with Aldi, and re-label some of their "brand" labels with Dharma labels..and see if sales rise.
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 11:19 PM   #19
RoJoHen
Awesome

It would be easy enough to delete Season 2 completely. That whole season is basically "OMG the tail section!" which ultimately becomes useless as pretty much everybody except Bernard gets killed.

You'd have to introduce The Others immediately, and anything having to do with Jacob or the Man in Black would probably have to be deleted.

What's funny to me is that, while playing the new Tomb Raider game, all I kept thinking the whole time was, "This could totally be the island from LOST."
Old April 23 2013, 04:21 PM   #20
jayceee
Commander

Besides season 1, is it possible to watch any of the other seasons on their own as a standalone season?
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 07:02 PM   #21
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Well, you could watch the time-travel out of order...
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 09:47 PM   #22
degra
Fleet Captain

lost was the worst thing to happen to pop culture in the last decade. It ushered in an era where good solid writing, well developed season long arcs and the modest character ensemble were replaced by excessive storytelling, ADHD pacing, twists for the sake of them, unwieldy unsatisying mythologies, hollow emotionless deaths, massive casts, dragging shit out for years on end, coincidences aplenty thanks to Fate etc.

it was a series best judged as a whole and as a result fails miserably.
degra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 10:20 PM   #23
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

(shrug) I liked it well enough.
Old April 25 2013, 10:35 PM   #24
RoJoHen
Awesome

It's one of my favorite series of all time, so...
Old April 26 2013, 01:19 AM   #25
Hunter X
Rear Admiral

This is certainly the first time I've ever seen Lost be accused of ADHD pacing...

Also, I don't know that any Lost-esque show since then has lasted long enough to have a story that's dragged out for years.
Hunter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 01:56 AM   #26
degra
Fleet Captain

the show introduced a thousand mysteries and either didn't provide answers or the answers were disappointing. In the end the show became an incoherent mess. And the writers were the worst in that they encouraged the obsessive analysis and importance of the plot and mysteries then at the eleventh hour when they couldn't cone up with a way to pull together the plot points they threaded they pulled a bait and switch by saying the show was really about the characters. I watched it all the way through but at the end felt like I wasted my time in all the hours I invested watching and analyzing it. That's why I don't even bother with lostesque shows like game of thrones, invasion, revolution, zero hour, v, flash forward, the event, daybreak, vanished etc. They rely on gimmicks instead of good storytelling.

bsg and heroes come to mind as far as dragging stuff out.
Old April 26 2013, 02:49 AM   #27
DonIago
Rear Admiral

The mysteries were interesting but were never the heart of the show for me, nor did I feel the show "became an incoherent mess". Sorry your mileage varied.

Anyway, if you had such a problem with the writers, why did you keep watching, or at least why did you keep paying attention to them? Barring certain factors I don't care what people have to say about their art if it disagrees with my own impressions of it. If I like it I'll pay attention, and if I don't I won't. I see little point in kvetching about how my impressions differ from that of the artists.

And I didn't realize anyone compelled you to spend hours of your time analyzing the show. Heck of a thing to do for something you weren't even enjoying.

Perhaps you could try suing them for your lost time.
Old April 26 2013, 03:55 AM   #28
degra
Fleet Captain

the reason I kept watching it was because the writers said they learned from the xfiles and twin peaks and they wouldn't let their mythology turn into a mess the way those shows did,,,that's also why I analyzed it but I was misled. Now had it all came together like they said then that would have been great. But looking back it is pretty clear the writers got by with an endless string of mysteries and OMG twists,cliffhangers. They clearly had for the most part no idea how to develop them or give them payoffs. Essentially it was a case of the writers throwing a bunch of ideas and teasers together.

and like I said I kept watching until the end because unlike most dramas lost was one big epic story that couldn't be fairly judged without watching the whole thing given its interconnected nature. Pretty much up until season six the show was a series of repeated set up and open ended threads sitting there dangling waiting for the writers to get around to finally addressing them.

I had no idea they didn't know what they were doing. Fool me once shame on lindelof cuse. Fool me twice shame on me hence no more of these convoluted sff lost type shows.
Old April 26 2013, 01:05 PM   #29
Mr Light
Admiral

It's been awhile, but the end of the last episode they did explain all the major stuff. The only left unexplained was Widmore's change of heart or why whatshisname from S:AAB was building the cabin.

We found out what and why the Island is, and why and how the plane crashed.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 03:52 PM   #30
DonIago
Rear Admiral

The one mystery I was left most curious about was who was in the second canoe.

I'm content to think it was the same group in the first canoe trying to kill themselves for some yet to be revealed reason.