Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Rate episode 7x09 Hide
Ghost hunts are cool! 52 46.85%
Somewhat spirited 43 38.74%
A night like any other 9 8.11%
Best left hidden 4 3.60%
If not for those meddling kids... 3 2.70%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 21 2013, 06:27 AM   #46
Aldo
Admiral

Re: 7x09 Hide - rating and discussion thread

That makes sense, and now that you bring it up, I do recall the TARDIS insulting Clara that way. However I'm still unsure how Clara convinced the TARDIS to go get the Doctor.
Old April 21 2013, 06:37 AM   #47
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I think Clara convinced the TARDIS (maybe telepathically as well) that it was now or never. It had the cloister bell going so it knew there was danger.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 06:45 AM   #48
Aldo
Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I think Clara convinced the TARDIS (maybe telepathically as well) that it was now or never. It had the cloister bell going so it knew there was danger.
Thanks for clearing that one up too. I figured that was the cloister bell but I thought maybe there'd be a line of dialogue to point that out.
Old April 21 2013, 07:28 AM   #49
Slugboy
Commodore

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I had trouble with that as well and had to turn on the captions. The TARDIS said the voice interface scans her mind and shows her the one she holds most esteemed and then said out of the billions of choices it chose her form, presumably as an insult.
The first time I heard the dialogue, I thought the TARDIS said that it had "selected the image of someone you have seen. This one seemed to best fit the criterion." and I was confused as to why Clara would react so negatively. After listening again, you're right, the TARDIS says "esteem", not "have seen", i.e. "someone you esteem", implying that Clara is self-absorbed.
Slugboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 07:33 AM   #50
KevasTrader
Lieutenant Commander

Brent wrote: View Post
WOW, got lots to say

1.) Boy, they are really getting wordy with classic Who references this season: Susan, HADS system, The Eye of Harmony in tonight's episode, and even the coat rack the Doctor use to have in the control room. I wonder if this means something.
The coat rack was in both the 9th/10th Doctors' TARDIS and the 11th Doctor's first TARDIS.
KevasTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 07:38 AM   #51
KevasTrader
Lieutenant Commander

diankra wrote: View Post
The prof's age is ok-ish (apologies for typos,posting from phone). Dougray scott is late 40s, if prof was studenr co-opted into war at 18 he'd be about 50 in 1974. Butmaybe looking a bit youngger...
I can see your logic but I think he'd still be a bit too young considering the amount of responsibility he seemed to have during the war. Unless he was some kind of prodigy but I don't think that was ever mentioned.
KevasTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 08:32 AM   #52
Zeppster
Commodore

I think this had a huge problem near the end. It wasn't bad at all. It was just that it fell apart at the end because it couldn't keep going on as a story. Time restraints hurt this story because the plot basically had to be told us in a 10 second exposition line. We didn't know what was really happening till then. It would have been great if it was able to be built up more as a story and finding out how this girl got stuck in a bubble dimension. Could have been an epic 2 parter.
Old April 21 2013, 09:19 AM   #53
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I disagree entirely. The pacing was phenomenal compared to what we've been given of late. Her story is interesting, absolutely, but remember that one of the secrets of good storytelling is leaving people wanting more. We know enough of her story to resolve this particular plot and there was no need for more.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 12:32 PM   #54
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

That's was simply awesome, what a brillaint atmosphere, some of the lighting when running about with the candles was really errie, and now we know the Tardis indeed has issues with her, very intresting to say the least.

Roll on next week.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 01:08 PM   #55
Australis
Writer

I'm so not feeling the love this season, but, I dunno, I suspect it's me.

The setuo was pretty good, the first thing I thought of was 'The Stone Tape', something I haven't seen it was originally broadcast Down Here 40 years ago - yeah, it sticks in the mind.

But it seemed all over the place in terms of pacing fastsloooowfstsloooooowfastfastfast. Again, might be me, but they spent waaaay too long in the pocket universe, time that could have been used elsewhere like the rushed ending (and yes, that ending would have been predictable, but still).

As for The Clara Mystery, well, she's not a very good empath. Was it just me, or did anyone else notice that when Clara crossed the circle, that was when it started to steam? Hmm.

Hmm, all of the above seems negative, but really, it was a fun 45 minutes and I have watched it twice.

Oh, and good pickup on the "esteem" line! That makes much more sense now, and is pretty funny!

Next week looks good.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 01:18 PM   #56
Zeppster
Commodore

We weren't given anything about the bubble universe till exposition by the Doctor about 2/3rds in and it came out of nowhere and for all we know was pulled out of the Doctors butt. How did he know anything about this person in the bubble world? And after building tension for the entire episode suddenly the Doctor knows all the exposition about it? It's like we missed a complete episode at that point. That's the problem I had. It wasn't really the fast pace it's that almost an entire episode is missing there. You could have had a 2 part episode building up the bubble universe and really had a great story going. Instead it kinda made me think wait a second how did you know this? Where did all this information come from? Who is this time traveler? Then the end about them being related also came out of nowhere and I found it hard to believe that the Doctor would just know that. Then the monster love story came out of nowhere. At the very least 20 more minutes would have really helped this episode.

I do really love the Goth Horror elements of this story. Reminds me a lot of a 4th Doctor story.
Old April 21 2013, 01:27 PM   #57
The Wormhole
Admiral

Not really impressed with this episode. Pretty much by hte numbers Doctor Who fare. The Doctor meets up with ghost hunters, though there is of course a rational explanation explaining the ghost is not really a ghost, in this case the supposed ghost is really a time traveller trapped in a pocket universe threatened by a mysterious monster. The time traveller is saved, and it turns out the monster is simply lonely and looking for its lover.

The episode is once again saved by the interaction between the Doctor and Clara, Smith and Coleman really do work well together. I like the episode continues to deal with some of the mysteries of the season, particularly why the TARDIS doesn't seem to like Clara. And there seemed to be some stuff in the conversations between the Doctor and the ghost hunter that seems to tie into the greater arc this year regarding who the Doctor really is. Or at least I thought so while watching the episode, but now I can't really remember specifically what it was that was said that made me think so.

This episode is full of quotes that have been used out of context in the trailers ("You are the only mystery worth solving." "I am the Doctor and I am afraid."). And it's nice to see they're continuing to get their mileage out of Tennant's space suit from The Satan Pit.

EDIT: The shots in episode of the TARDIS flying through the vortex really look crappy now.

Last edited by The Wormhole; April 21 2013 at 01:39 PM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 01:43 PM   #58
Avon
Fleet Captain

watched it again. it really struck me how nothing annoyed me in it. which is good.

also the creepy monster was actually creepy for once.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 01:53 PM   #59
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Weirdly Doug Ray Scott also stars in Hemlock Grove which started today.

Odd timing.

I just want to here the Doctor say the magic word... Pandorica.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 02:24 PM   #60
Slugboy
Commodore

Australis wrote: View Post
The setuo was pretty good, the first thing I thought of was 'The Stone Tape', something I haven't seen it was originally broadcast Down Here 40 years ago - yeah, it sticks in the mind.
You have a good memory. In fact, in an interview [1], Neil Cross explicitly cites The Stone Tape as an inspiration for this episode.

[1] http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/04/16/doct...s-interviewed/
"One of my great inspirations was The Stone Tape, which was a great Christmas sci-fi/ horror teleplay from 1972 . . ."

Last edited by Slugboy; April 21 2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Added quotation to citation
Slugboy is offline   Reply With Quote