New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Rate episode 7x09 Hide
Ghost hunts are cool! 52 46.85%
Somewhat spirited 43 38.74%
A night like any other 9 8.11%
Best left hidden 4 3.60%
If not for those meddling kids... 3 2.70%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 21 2013, 01:12 AM   #31
timelord1010
Captain

Re: 7x09 Hide - rating and discussion thread

I enjoyed it. If you grade it in a curve this episode rates above average. On a side note it would be nice to see the 8th Doctor appear this season. He doesn't have to be in the 50th anniversary story, they can sneak him into any episode.
timelord1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 01:41 AM   #32
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Clearly Smith and the director have never seen Planet of the Spiders, judging by his pronunciation of Metebelis.
At least one would hope he's talking about the same planet & just mis-pronounced it.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
"I'm the Doctor."
"Doctor What?"
"If you like."
Anything but Doctor Who?

How is that contraption still working if the TARDIS left?
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 02:11 AM   #33
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

It was ok. Liked the creepiness atmosphere and the stuff between Clara and the Doctor in the Tardis was good, but I couldn't entirely get into the house part of the story.

Looking foward to next week's episode as it seems like that will actually take place on the TARDIS.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39; April 21 2013 at 03:29 AM.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 02:35 AM   #34
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Fantastic.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 02:39 AM   #35
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Any Supernatural fans expect to see a Winchester when the Doctor went to Limbo, er the pocket universe?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 02:40 AM   #36
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i really liked this ep. had a slow build but i loved the spooky atmosphere at the beginning.
Saga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 02:49 AM   #37
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Very good and atmospheric episode but a bit shy of excellent, largely due to the final act. I loved the ghost story even when it evolved away from being a ghost story but I found the ending tacked on, rushed, and poorly edited.

That being said, I loved all of the small references, both in and out of Doctor Who universe, although I was disappointed by the mispronunciation of Metebellis 3 (and weren't the crystals a darker shade of blue?).

In regards to the avatar, I look at as though the TARDIS reverted to that mode because of her aversion towards Clara. Could be wrong but it makes sense to me right now.

I'm really looking forward to next week's episode!

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 02:50 AM   #38
Mr Light
Admiral

While it was the weakest episode of the season it was still enjoyable. I'm just glad it went a little bigger than just a ghost story, with the journey into the pocket universe, and the time traveling hops.

Also, I geeked out at the (mispronounced) Metebelis III reference, and the entropy/pocky universe of E-Space and the Eye of Harmony.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 03:11 AM   #39
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I really liked that it wasn't another alien invasion.

It was 1974, (If UNIT wasn't set in the future, which it was.) wouldn't it have been a stunning aside if the Doctor stole the Blue Crystal he gave Jo Jones for a wedding present while she was honeymooning.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 03:26 AM   #40
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
It was 1974, (If UNIT wasn't set in the future, which it was.) wouldn't it have been a stunning aside if the Doctor stole the Blue Crystal he gave Jo Jones for a wedding present while she was honeymooning.
On a side note, I couldn't help but think that this kind of adventure was right up the alley for The Third Doctor, Jo, The Brig and the whole U.N.I.T. crew. Would have been fun of The Doctor had made some small reference to them, thus confusing the U.N.I.T. dating even more so!

Old April 21 2013, 03:44 AM   #41
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Two things I forgot to mention: I love the idea of a person perceiving time at a vastly different rate. That idea reminded me of my favorite entry in Big Finish's Short Trips audios, "Rise and Fall," where The First Doctor and Ian observe the rise and fall of a civilization developing super fast while said beings see The Doctor and Ian as Unmoving Gods.

Also, Clara's conversation with The Doctor about seeing his companions has ghosts reminded me of "The God Complex" and my theory that The Doctor saw his companions' mortality in his room. I hope this theme continues to be explored for the rest of the season and in the anniversary special.

Last edited by Emh; April 21 2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old April 21 2013, 04:40 AM   #42
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

I like this, because it used the idea of ghosts and hauntings as a jumping off point for some interesting thematic things. All too often ghost stories and scary movies only use ghosts as a monster or a villian, but I've always thought the ghost things lends itself to a sort of poetry. They couid have beefed up the part about the two lover creatures, but I suppose it's hard to relate to giant turtle monsters and their hormonal desires.

My favorite part of the episode was when the professor revealed that if he could communicate with the people who died he'd tell them "Thank you", instead of the generic "I'm sorry" or "I love you."
Old April 21 2013, 05:43 AM   #43
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

WOW, got lots to say

1.) Boy, they are really getting wordy with classic Who references this season: Susan, HADS system, The Eye of Harmony in tonight's episode, and even the coat rack the Doctor use to have in the control room. I wonder if this means something.

2.) Next week's episode is the episode I've been waiting for since Doctor Who came back, an inside the TARDIS episode. We've had a few in the classic series, and it's time we had one here. I think people that only have come into Doctor Who since the new series aren't even aware of how big the TARDIS is on the inside, how many rooms it has, and all the various rooms it has. We've seen in the old series lots of it, but I think this is going to rock next week to see what the inside is like now. I even wonder if they will stumble into some of the old control rooms! Think about that. I wonder if we will see The Eye of Harmony in the big cathedral room like in the '96 movie, heh. At any rate, very very excited.

Ok, now on to this ep, it started out kinda slow, I'll say that, but it did pick up half way in. I thought this episode made wodnerful use of the TARDIS, this is something that has been lacking in nuWho. In the classic series you always saw the Doctor running into the TARDIS, pulling out equipment, and setting up some technological gizmo for the episode at hand, and this is exactly what the Doctor did in this episode. It reminded me of the classic series.

Also, it was excellent seeing the TARDIS fly around in real space, and also that little trip they took from the beginning of the world to the end in a few minutes time. It really makes you see the big picture of being a time traveler. The fact that Clara had to deal with seeing that, also handled greatly. The TARDIS really shown in this episode as being a powerful companion for the Doctor. Oh, and the hologram was brilliant.

Even the premise of the episode was pretty unique, instead of a ghost, it ended up being one of Earth's early time travel experiments gone wrong, sending the poor girl to a pocket universe. Very clever, and the fact that time ran so slow literally minutes for her was billions of years real time, very very mind blowing stuff. I kinda of would have liked her to become another companion at this point, imagine a woman from a few hundred years in the future as a companion, who knows a bit about time travel, but hasn't actually got to experience it yet, till she meets the Doctor. That story has potential.

Anyway, good episode, A+

Can't wait for next week

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 06:12 AM   #44
Aldo
Admiral

I enjoyed the episode too. Found the frightening bits well...frightening. But they didn't last long until the Doctor sussed out the cause of the ghost.

One question though, I had a bit trouble hearing during the bit where Clara talks to the holographic avatar of the TARDIS. What did the TARDIS say to Clara? And after that why did the TARDIS say they couldn't get the Doctor cause she'd die and then they went and got him anyways?
Old April 21 2013, 06:24 AM   #45
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
I enjoyed the episode too. Found the frightening bits well...frightening. But they didn't last long until the Doctor sussed out the cause of the ghost.

One question though, I had a bit trouble hearing during the bit where Clara talks to the holographic avatar of the TARDIS. What did the TARDIS say to Clara? And after that why did the TARDIS say they couldn't get the Doctor cause she'd die and then they went and got him anyways?
I had trouble with that as well and had to turn on the captions. The TARDIS said the voice interface scans her mind and shows her the one she holds most esteemed and then said out of the billions of choices it chose her form, presumably as an insult.

When Clara convinces it (her?) to go I think it was as a grab-and-go using the portal to get out. I think the small window is why it had to grab the Doctor on the run as there's no time to stop.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote