Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 24 2013, 01:03 AM   #1
Danny99
Vice Admiral

The Voice (U.S.)

Good News - Cee-Lo is back

Bad News - Christina is back too.

Here's to another season.
Old September 24 2013, 01:46 AM   #2
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Re: The Voice (U.S.)

I don't think I'm going to watch this year. It pisses me off too much when bland and schmaltzy wins over the emotionally powerful, unique risk takers.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 02:22 AM   #3
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I'm conflicted about whether to watch this year. I don't like Christina on the show (does anyone?). The people I root for never seem to make it far and definitely don't win. I am much more interested in the rock musicians than the country or R&B artists, but they never seem to do as well. For example, my favorites in the past have been Terry McDermott and Juliet Simms. I didn't HATE last year's winner, it was just rather boring and predictable. As soon as the live shows started you could tell she would be the winner.

Basically, it seems like this show is catering to all of the demographics that don't include me.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 03:09 AM   #4
Danny99
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I don't think I'm going to watch this year. It pisses me off too much when bland and schmaltzy wins over the emotionally powerful, unique risk takers.
Were you one of those viewers who screamed bloody murder when Juliet was voted off? Danielle was a bland winner yes, but Juliet was nothing special.

The problem I have with the show is that they seem to go for the best "story." The guy who lost his brother at a young age, the one who had a son at 16, let's find the biggest tear jerker.

And how many people are giving up college or good paying jobs to audition? Seriously.
Old September 24 2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

I don't like Christina either, but I kinda do a little now since she used the first "SAVE" the last season she was on to save my sons' friend.
Old September 24 2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

I like Christina. I like all of the judges. That said, I am certainly watching this year. I prefer The Voice over any other singing competition by at least a country mile.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 10:54 PM   #7
Aragorn
Admiral

I'm calling it now, no one they showed on the first night will go on to win it all.

You already know Adam's going to make some dumb decisions that will cost a couple of his singers. I suspect Blake's powerhouse country singer will get about as far as Holly did last season, even though she's got 100 times the stage presence and charisma that Holly did.

Who knows, maybe this could be the year for CeeLo or Christina.

What's funny is how often the contestants say it's just about the voice and that's what they love about the show. But that really only applies to the blind auditions. Then after that the coaches can play their favorites until the live rounds, which then becomes a popularity contest since the public gets to vote.
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 10:55 PM   #8
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Last year I was rooting more for Michelle Chamuel and a few others who made the final 8. I forget her name but I think it was the 4th place finisher I wanted to win.

I was more annoyed when Danielle Bradbery pandered her way to victory than when any particular individual lost. Milking cheap sentiment. That Grandpa song made me vomit, especially when Blake said after about how it reminds him of 'When things were good'. Bleck.

I think the viewers are also too influenced by the coach's comments. It's like they don't have enough confidence in their reaction, so when the coaches are positive or negative they think, um, yeah, that's what I think too!

I wish they would do another show like Rock Star: INXS, only with a prize that doesn't suck.

Danny99 wrote: View Post
And how many people are giving up college or good paying jobs to audition? Seriously.

Not for the Voice, but if I had an opportunity to be on Survivor or Amazing Race, or even (Much stronger version of me) American Ninja Warrior? I'd have to strongly consider it.

Last edited by JirinPanthosa; September 24 2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old September 24 2013, 11:52 PM   #9
intrinsical
Commodore

So far, I have not heard anyone that really wowed me and made me think they had a chance of winning. Still, its the early days. However I get the impression that this year, a lot of the good professional singers have gone over to The X-Factor instead.

Last edited by intrinsical; September 25 2013 at 12:08 AM.
intrinsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 02:09 AM   #10
Shanndee
Commodore

I finally got to watch this...I missed Cee Lo so much!

I haven't heard anyone who I'd consider memorable yet, but there is a lot of competition to come!

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 02:45 AM   #11
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I like Christina. I like all of the judges. That said, I am certainly watching this year. I prefer The Voice over any other singing competition by at least a country mile.
Her overt bitchiness to Melanie Martinez a couple seasons back is gonna take a lot to make up for.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 02:54 AM   #12
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Sasha Allen, that was her name.

I watched the second half of the show today. Meh, it's good background noise if nothing else. I'll just be pissed if another bland blake blond wins.
Old September 25 2013, 09:04 AM   #13
Aragorn
Admiral

Does it seem like Blake turns around for artists he doesn't want just to get into a fight with the other coaches? I wonder how much of what the coaches do comes from the showrunner.
Old September 26 2013, 05:34 AM   #14
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Well there is definitely some direction going on in their ear, it has been especially blatant the last couple nights with moments like CeeLo asking if the one dude had been in the military.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 06:28 AM   #15
Aragorn
Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Well there is definitely some direction going on in their ear, it has been especially blatant the last couple nights with moments like CeeLo asking if the one dude had been in the military.
Yeah, in episode two the questions the coaches asked were clearly not something they thought of on their own, like Blake asking about a guitar or Christina asking if the singer was an actress.