New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 23 2013, 01:55 AM   #61
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: Finale discussion thread (spoilerifictitle insided) *SPOILERS WITH

Emh wrote: View Post
The reviewer at AV Club has this Insane, Obviously Wrong Theory:
Look, any garden-variety Doctor Who crackpot theorist can suggest that Clara is the Rani, because every female character we’ve seen on Doctor Who since 1985 is probably the Rani. But I’ll do you one better—what if the reason the TARDIS doesn’t trust Clara is because Clara is actually a TARDIS herself? The Rani is a scientist, after all, so perhaps she devised a chameleon circuit that takes on the form of living beings… except, much like the Doctor’s TARDIS, it got stuck on one appearance, which is why an identical-looking young woman keeps popping up in different time periods, and her apparent deaths are just dematerializations. So then, Clara is the Rani’s TARDIS. Also, she’s also the Rani, because, well… why not?
It's a crazy theory and it's probably not true...and yet, it makes some sense.

I would love it if she was a TARDIS. (Of course, there would be endless fanboy jokes about getting inside, the inside being bigger, blah blah blah)

But, a humanoid as Tardis would be so weird on TV (didn't they do that on the radio stories?) that it would be fantastic.

But, it's not going to happen.

Like we will never see the Rani again.
Old April 23 2013, 02:29 AM   #62
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
I would love it if she was a TARDIS. (Of course, there would be endless fanboy jokes about getting inside, the inside being bigger, blah blah blah)

But, a humanoid as Tardis would be so weird on TV (didn't they do that on the radio stories?) that it would be fantastic.
Novels. Compassion was a human that was transformed into a TARDIS, and the eighth Doctor and Fitz traveled in her during a period when the TARDIS was destroyed.

Romana's insane third regeneration attempted to capture Compassion so she could give birth to a new race of humanoid TARDISes.

In the future of the War, the Time Lords bred humanoid War TARDISes to carry them into battle against the Enemy. Homonculete, a Time Lord from that era whom the eighth Doctor met in Alien Bodies, traveled in a humanoid TARDIS named Marie. I think she was a Type-104 or somesuch.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 07:34 AM   #63
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ Saving the Doctor over a million times is OTT regardless of how you define it!

And, if she does save the Doctor that many times, you can almost bet the story would contain that list of characters like that. After all, if she's visiting the time lines, you're going to be seeing them, or at least you should.
Naw, you see this timeline, a flashback to the Dalek story where he dies because she's not there and a flashback to Christmas where he dies because she's not there, maybe a couple of others and a reference to millions.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 07:51 AM   #64
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

Novels. Compassion was a human that was transformed into a TARDIS, and the eighth Doctor and Fitz traveled in her during a period when the TARDIS was destroyed.

Romana's insane third regeneration attempted to capture Compassion so she could give birth to a new race of humanoid TARDISes.

In the future of the War, the Time Lords bred humanoid War TARDISes to carry them into battle against the Enemy. Homonculete, a Time Lord from that era whom the eighth Doctor met in Alien Bodies, traveled in a humanoid TARDIS named Marie. I think she was a Type-104 or somesuch.
Sounds just as awful as i remember - hopefully, we never see any of that crap.
Old April 23 2013, 11:08 AM   #65
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

A guy with a JJ Abrams as Han Solo avatar inarticulately dismissing Lawrence Miles' literary body of work as crap?

It's brilliant because it's exactly how Miles would want it. He'd probably be angry if you enjoyed his work.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 12:08 PM   #66
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Isn't the point at which you remind us you have got a City and Guilds certificate in film ?
Old April 23 2013, 12:28 PM   #67
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
A guy with a JJ Abrams as Han Solo avatar inarticulately dismissing Lawrence Miles' literary body of work as crap?

It's brilliant because it's exactly how Miles would want it. He'd probably be angry if you enjoyed his work.
Actually he'd probably be angry whatever we say about anything.
Old April 23 2013, 03:14 PM   #68
diankra
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Homonculete, a Time Lord from that era whom the eighth Doctor met in Alien Bodies, traveled in a humanoid TARDIS named Marie. I think she was a Type-104 or somesuch.
But more importantly, due to a malfunction in her chameleon circuit, Marie was stuck in the form of an early 1960s London policewoman.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 03:33 PM   #69
Starkers
Admiral

Groan!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 05:38 PM   #70
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ Saving the Doctor over a million times is OTT regardless of how you define it!

And, if she does save the Doctor that many times, you can almost bet the story would contain that list of characters like that. After all, if she's visiting the time lines, you're going to be seeing them, or at least you should.
Naw, you see this timeline, a flashback to the Dalek story where he dies because she's not there and a flashback to Christmas where he dies because she's not there, maybe a couple of others and a reference to millions.
So, having one character travel a million timelines saving the Doctor in each one, even if it's just a reference, isn't over the top?!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 07:12 PM   #71
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

It is a show where people travel in time what practical difference does it make if the reference is to one or a million time-lines?

It doesn't, unless you have a stick up your arse.
Old April 23 2013, 07:25 PM   #72
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Hey, no need to get rude. I was just making sure I was understanding you correctly. 1 character saving another 1 million times is not OTT! Check!
Old April 23 2013, 07:35 PM   #73
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Let's be clear what I consider over the top - the title character sobbing for 15 minutes of the running time, Jesus appears and turns out to be Davros - that sort of thing.
Old April 23 2013, 07:52 PM   #74
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ We agree on those! Agree to disagree on the other. No biggie. A lot comes down the execution. That and the other minor detail of whether or not that's the actual plot!
Old April 23 2013, 11:34 PM   #75
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

I did suggest that Clara was the "Eternal Companion" right from the start, just for the record...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote