MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 143 19.32%
A 160 21.62%
A- 99 13.38%
B+ 82 11.08%
B 58 7.84%
B- 27 3.65%
C+ 40 5.41%
C 38 5.14%
C- 24 3.24%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.35%
F 35 4.73%
Voters: 740. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 9 2013, 05:30 PM   #1291
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Sorry if I appear a bit thick but did Admiral Marcus know Khans guys were in the torpedoes and why did Khan think his people were dead when he put them in there?

Maybe I'll watch it more carefully next time I see it
I'm not sure on the Admiral Marcus part tbh.

He didn't think they were dead though, but when Spock blows them all up he thinks they are. Bones takes the cryotubes out without his knowledge.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 05:37 PM   #1292
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Great Gatsby: 38% fresh
Iron Man 77% fresh
Oblivion: 56% fresh
The Croods: 69% fresh

STID after 44 reviews: 89% fresh
Old May 9 2013, 05:41 PM   #1293
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

I forgot to mention this in my earlier post - I really liked the redesign of the engine room. The warp core looks very much like something you'd see in a physics research institute, e.g. the LHC or some of the large plasma physics projects. It's dangerousness came across pretty well, too. Loved how it looked inside, too.
Old May 9 2013, 05:49 PM   #1294
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I noticed Chris Hemsworth in the credits as George Kirk. Any idea where he was? I heard a few soundbytes from the first movie when Kirk was brought back to life, but I don't recall any from him.
Old May 9 2013, 05:56 PM   #1295
Arianna
Ensign

I loved the first film ST09 despite some significant plot holes. I was more a TNG fan and liked those films (well the one with the Borg anyway) but was never really a TOS fan. Only film I like in the series was the 4th one.

Anyway I had no expectations for ST09 like a lot of people and it was really good. I hadn't been following any news about it on the internet.

Maybe some true trek fans couldn't get used to seeing new faces as their favourite character but not being a dedicated TOS fan, this was not an issue for me. I have seen the other movies though so know the plots.

Which is why this was was disappointing. There is no originality. Why couldn't they come up with a new villain? A guy I used work with is a huge Star Trek fan and has been trying to avoid spoilers so the identity of the villain was a surprise to him and he thought exactly the same thing I did. I don't mind seeing characters like Khan even in a minor role but not the main villain again please.

Special effects great but the story could have been a bit more cerebral - or a lot more and you could still have plenty of action.

Plus as I've said before I was hoping Pike didn't die. I wouldn't even have minded so much if it was essential to the plot but I think Kirk getting into trouble, demoted, Pike saving/choosing him again was like the first film all over again. Plus I think the plot was forced to get Kirk to be captain just like in ST09.

Again maybe because my expectations were so high I was a bit disappointed. A friend who doesn't like Star Trek at all even knew who Khan was so was wondering why he was in it 30 odd years later? She asked was the actor not too old!?

Plus bringing Kirk back?

I thought Abrahms said there was no poing in re-hashing old Star Trek films or words to that effect?

It's a good film but I don't think it will be in anybody's top ten
Arianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 05:59 PM   #1296
indranee
Vice Admiral

I get you. But I think part of it is they (the writers) feel they should do the original stories/plots with a twist. It's the whole "alternate timeline" crap.

I'm not too keen on that decision. They need to just make this a plain reboot and do original stories.

Take a look at this MTV video... JJ addresses this issue a bit:

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/907...tml#id=1706944
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 06:21 PM   #1297
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

King Daniel wrote: View Post
I noticed Chris Hemsworth in the credits as George Kirk. Any idea where he was? I heard a few soundbytes from the first movie when Kirk was brought back to life, but I don't recall any from him.
I'm pretty sure it was just in that moment.

I did find it funny how oddly placed Leonard Nimoy's name was in the credits.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 06:30 PM   #1298
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

RAMA wrote: View Post
Great Gatsby: 38% fresh
Iron Man 77% fresh
Oblivion: 56% fresh
The Croods: 69% fresh

STID after 44 reviews: 89% fresh
Obviously a good thing. Although it does bear mentioning that, after about the same number of reviews, Iron Man 3 had been sitting at about 93%. It took a bit of a tumble, as you can see.

Still though, very much looking forward to it opening here.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 06:34 PM   #1299
Admiral

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
Ah, thanks. I'll keep an ear out when I see it again
I missed his name totally.
Old May 9 2013, 06:35 PM   #1300
gottacook
Commander

Franklin wrote: View Post
Chu'lak wrote: View Post
Kirk's KHAAAAN in TWOK made no sense. he knew he was just buying time for Spock to repair the enterprise and beam them out in 2 hours. Was that just theatrics to fool khan into thinking he didnt have that ace up his sleave?
Yes. Kirk's shout was pure theatrics. He wasn't aware they'd get to hang out in the area Marcus created, but he knew Spock and the Enterprise would be back, soon.
Is it possible that the present filmmakers didn't catch on to that? Admittedly it's possible to miss it when first seeing TWoK, at least if you first saw it with a boisterous audience during premier weekend in 1982. Maybe if Shatner had winked at the camera after doing it...
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 07:00 PM   #1301
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
Ah, thanks. I'll keep an ear out when I see it again
I missed his name totally.
I almost did as I was reaching down to pick up my coat, but my friend pointed it out.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 07:19 PM   #1302
Franklin
Rear Admiral

gottacook wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
Chu'lak wrote: View Post
Kirk's KHAAAAN in TWOK made no sense. he knew he was just buying time for Spock to repair the enterprise and beam them out in 2 hours. Was that just theatrics to fool khan into thinking he didnt have that ace up his sleave?
Yes. Kirk's shout was pure theatrics. He wasn't aware they'd get to hang out in the area Marcus created, but he knew Spock and the Enterprise would be back, soon.
Is it possible that the present filmmakers didn't catch on to that? Admittedly it's possible to miss it when first seeing TWoK, at least if you first saw it with a boisterous audience during premier weekend in 1982. Maybe if Shatner had winked at the camera after doing it...
I think they would have known Kirk was selling it to Khan. The thing is, over time, it's become considered a rather humorous moment in the movie because of Kirk's emoting. It's also become a bit of a meme over time. What I'd like to know if the writers of STID actually talked about the potential baggage associated with using the line, or if it was put in without question.

It was a risk because undoubtedly, it will take some movie-goers out of the moment (*SNICKER* "KHAAAAAAN!" SHATNER *SNICKER*) at a time when they should be feeling as agonized as Spock is. But what else is Spock supposed to do? He's going off like a volcano. It's a powerful moment, and if fans and others can't stay in the moment and separate it from the more cheesy use it pays a certain homage to, then too bad for them.

Maybe if they hadn't been so faithful to TWOK death scene, so by the time he lets out the yell everyone is thinking about TWOK, fewer would make the immediate association, too.
Old May 9 2013, 07:38 PM   #1303
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Arianna wrote: View Post
I loved the first film ST09 despite some significant plot holes. I was more a TNG fan and liked those films (well the one with the Borg anyway) but was never really a TOS fan. Only film I like in the series was the 4th one.

Anyway I had no expectations for ST09 like a lot of people and it was really good. I hadn't been following any news about it on the internet.

Maybe some true trek fans couldn't get used to seeing new faces as their favourite character but not being a dedicated TOS fan, this was not an issue for me. I have seen the other movies though so know the plots.

Which is why this was was disappointing. There is no originality. Why couldn't they come up with a new villain? A guy I used work with is a huge Star Trek fan and has been trying to avoid spoilers so the identity of the villain was a surprise to him and he thought exactly the same thing I did. I don't mind seeing characters like Khan even in a minor role but not the main villain again please.

Special effects great but the story could have been a bit more cerebral - or a lot more and you could still have plenty of action.

Plus as I've said before I was hoping Pike didn't die. I wouldn't even have minded so much if it was essential to the plot but I think Kirk getting into trouble, demoted, Pike saving/choosing him again was like the first film all over again. Plus I think the plot was forced to get Kirk to be captain just like in ST09.

Again maybe because my expectations were so high I was a bit disappointed. A friend who doesn't like Star Trek at all even knew who Khan was so was wondering why he was in it 30 odd years later? She asked was the actor not too old!?

Plus bringing Kirk back?

I thought Abrahms said there was no poing in re-hashing old Star Trek films or words to that effect?

It's a good film but I don't think it will be in anybody's top ten
My favourite movies are the ones where they're using characters from the series they originated from - FC and TWOK. I have no problem with a nuverse prequel to TWOK.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 07:57 PM   #1304
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Science Officer 0718, played by Joseph Gatt.
He reminded me of a Borg, somehow ...
Old May 9 2013, 08:21 PM   #1305
Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Science Officer 0718, played by Joseph Gatt.
Wormhole will be thrilled - leading zeroes on eerie cyborg crewmen!