RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Posts: 5,429,984
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 509
Newest member: ragster


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.28%
A 161 21.55%
A- 101 13.52%
B+ 83 11.11%
B 58 7.76%
B- 27 3.61%
C+ 40 5.35%
C 38 5.09%
C- 25 3.35%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.82%
Voters: 747. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 4 2013, 10:58 PM   #1081
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

I do get your "gist" but since when does the Indian subcontinent border the middle east? And yes this is a problem for me because it smacks of the western/American inability to delineate basic global differences. All brown people are "brown".... etc and etc.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 11:00 PM   #1082
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

BillJ wrote: View Post
yenny wrote: View Post
This actor was born in Mumbai Indian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrithik_Roshan
Okay?
I think that yenny put up Hrithik's page because he might be the only Indian actor right now who can conceivably pull off a good "Khan". That's just my opinion.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 11:02 PM   #1083
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

indranee wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
yenny wrote: View Post
This actor was born in Mumbai Indian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrithik_Roshan
Okay?
I think that yenny put up Hrithik's page because he might be the only Indian actor right now who can conceivably pull off a good "Khan". That's just my opinion.
Abrams made his pick. I think we should all wait until we actually see the film before second-guessing the choice.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 11:19 PM   #1084
Ryan8bit
Commodore
 
Ryan8bit's Avatar
 
Location: St. Paul, MN
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

indranee wrote: View Post
I do get your "gist" but since when does the Indian subcontinent border the middle east? And yes this is a problem for me because it smacks of the western/American inability to delineate basic global differences. All brown people are "brown".... etc and etc.
India is pretty close to Iran, that's all I'm saying.

Anyways, the point that I was referring to was that before someone mentioned that if he was darker skinned that the average viewer would not make the delineation that you refer to. So I wasn't alluding to that particular geography myself.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 11:20 PM   #1085
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

I'm not second-guessing.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 11:23 PM   #1086
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

indranee wrote: View Post
I'm not second-guessing.
Not you. Just everyone who is.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 01:06 AM   #1087
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander
 
Cinema Geekly's Avatar
 
View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Canon is pointless. I like continuity too, but I won't let it get in the way of something good (and Trek has taken that approach with its own canon when they felt like it).

That being said, if Star Trek has taught us anything it is that looks are important, that it matters more than character, and the emotions they evoke. If your name is Khan you BETTER be from India and a brown man because in the future all races will be segregated by skin color, names, and birth place.

.....................wait....do I have that backwards?
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 01:20 AM   #1088
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Picard is French so IN THE TNG REBOOT you god damn well better cast a French man who eats cheese and snails and orders wine from the replicator not some English man who drinks tea!

Last edited by Flake; May 5 2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: added a bit :)
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 01:32 AM   #1089
Ryan8bit
Commodore
 
Ryan8bit's Avatar
 
Location: St. Paul, MN
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
If your name is Khan you BETTER be from India and a brown man because in the future all races will be segregated by skin color, names, and birth place.
Good thing no one said anything like that. Here's something worth noting:

MARLA: From the northern India area, I'd guess. Probably a Sikh. They were the most fantastic warriors.

This was something McGivers said based on looks, not a name. I know it's not important anymore and the character is rebooted (and even so probably since TWOK), but that's what I was going off of, not anything more than that. I know it's easy to set up a straw man and pretend this has to do with racism or something like that, but that's cheap.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 01:49 AM   #1090
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

You only need to look at Ryan8bit's avatar to see that Ricardo Montalban is pretty white and certainly not Indian. There is nothing wrong with Cumberbatch being Khan. For all we know Khan could have been raised in England to mixed parents or even had the genes responsible for looking like an indian removed as part of his genetic engineering. Maybe he was adopted into a family that had a surname of Khan? Just use your imagination. We know very very little about Khans background except he was a superhuman who once ruled a small empire on Earth.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 01:54 AM   #1091
donners22
Commodore
 
donners22's Avatar
 
Location: Victoria, Australia
Re: how good are star trek into darkness reviews

tmosler wrote: View Post
So far there have been a wave of new star trek into darkness reviews and despite it not being out in the U.S. yet does anyone know compared to the 2009 movie what these reviews tell us and how well the movie is? Also right now rotten tomatoes has a 82 percent and meta critic 75 unlike the 2009 movie which had 95 on rotten tomato and 83 on meta critic but does anyone think it will get better once its released in U.S.?

Just read the first one I've seen in a major paper here.

It says the characters are bad - Kirk a reckless and unlikeable captain, Spock coming off as a simpleton for admiring him, Chekov and Scotty caracatures, Marcus randomly stripping for eye-candy and Uhura pining after Spock. it also finds the relentless action becomes tiresome and the plot lacks logic. However, it says Cumberbatch does well.

Overall, it compares the film unfavourably to XI, but still gives it 3/5, mostly as a spectacle.
__________________
Kim: I'm detecting some weird technobabble.
Janeway: A possibly dangerous anomaly that we know nothing about?
Kim: Yeah. I suppose we should steer clear.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 02:03 AM   #1092
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

As for the McGivers line.... she just got it wrong. Northern India? Sheesh.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 02:06 AM   #1093
Ryan8bit
Commodore
 
Ryan8bit's Avatar
 
Location: St. Paul, MN
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Flake wrote: View Post
You only need to look at Ryan8bit's avatar to see that Ricardo Montalban is pretty white and certainly not Indian.
Actually, you might want to see the original image that is photoshopped from:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly...enqto1_500.jpg

My avatar is just sort of a nod toward the later non-bronzed TWOK Khan and the now pale white, green eyed Khan played by Cumberbatch. Sort of a retcon.

Of course, there are images of him from "Space Seed" where he's lighter looking than that link, although not quite as light as the avatar.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 02:13 AM   #1094
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander
 
Cinema Geekly's Avatar
 
View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
If your name is Khan you BETTER be from India and a brown man because in the future all races will be segregated by skin color, names, and birth place.
Good thing no one said anything like that. Here's something worth noting:

MARLA: From the northern India area, I'd guess. Probably a Sikh. They were the most fantastic warriors.

This was something McGivers said based on looks, not a name. I know it's not important anymore and the character is rebooted (and even so probably since TWOK), but that's what I was going off of, not anything more than that. I know it's easy to set up a straw man and pretend this has to do with racism or something like that, but that's cheap.
I don't think it has anything to do with racism.

It is just an argument I've seen alot or a complaint. His name is Khan, he is suppose to be a Sihk warrior and blah blah blah he cant be a white British guy.

I just think the whole thing is a beyond pointless argument. It's a ret-con. Hell the TOS movies ret-conned the TOS series whenever it felt like it.

I just think it is a silly argument that the role should go to an Indian actor or something like that.

My absurd comment was just there to say that Trek, if it taught me anything was that what you are called, where you come from, and what you look like are meaningless next to what kind of person you are.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 06:12 AM   #1095
thumbtack
Commodore
 
Location: Ankh-Morpork
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

BillJ wrote: View Post
Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Odd that Section 31 was so thorough in one time, and so completely inept in the other.
How do we know that they're inept?

Because all the cool guys joined Section 69.



Flake wrote: View Post
I think we have to come to terms with the fact it may end up in the 70s on Rotten Tomatoes.

Don't worry about it. As the truefans have yelled for four years, reviews mean nothing. Box office means nothing. Come to think of it, everything means nothing. They weren't idiots after all. They were simply dispensing the wisdom of Zen.
__________________
"What went wrong!? All my sockpuppets loved this movie!" - Kevin Smith
thumbtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
benedict cumberbatch, grading & discussion, jj abrams

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.