RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,442
Posts: 5,507,513
Members: 25,133
Currently online: 454
Newest member: jokerone

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.20%
A 161 21.47%
A- 101 13.47%
B+ 83 11.07%
B 59 7.87%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.33%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.33%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.73%
D- 10 1.33%
F 38 5.07%
Voters: 750. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 29 2013, 05:41 PM   #721
CrazyHorse89
Lieutenant
 
Empire Review (4/5) [Moved to Grading & Discussion thread]

Here's the long-awaited review of ST:ID by Empire.

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/...asp?FID=136708
CrazyHorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 05:43 PM   #722
Opus
Commodore
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Location: Bloom County
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Spock/Uhura embrace.

<Enter T'Pring>

Spock (looking surprised at T'Pring, then back to Uhura): "Uhhhhh.... Awkwaaaaard..."
__________________
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 05:53 PM   #723
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral
 
SalvorHardin's Avatar
 
Location: Star's End
Re: Empire Review (4/5)

If this is Abrams’ final frontier, he has left Star Trek in a good place, both in the fictional universe and as a franchise. In some sense, the title is misleading. Into Darkness is a blast, fun, funny, spectacular and exhilarating. The rule of great even-numbered Trek movies continues.
Sounds good.
__________________

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 06:03 PM   #724
KirkusOveractus
Captain
 
KirkusOveractus's Avatar
 
Location: Ambler, PA
Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus
Re: Empire Review (4/5)

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
If this is Abrams’ final frontier, he has left Star Trek in a good place, both in the fictional universe and as a franchise. In some sense, the title is misleading. Into Darkness is a blast, fun, funny, spectacular and exhilarating. The rule of great even-numbered Trek movies continues.
Sounds good.
To me, too! Plus it breaks the common conception of the odd numbered ones being lousy and the even ones being good! Two great and entertaining Trek movies in a row for the general moviegoing audience is fantastic!
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 06:07 PM   #725
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Edge of Forever wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
throwback wrote: View Post
I do have this question. In the prime universe, he was betrothed to T'Pring, which by Vulcan law made her his wife. Is that the situation in this new universe, and if so, does that make Spock an adulterer for having a relationship with Uhura?
Depends on a couple of things:

One, was Spock ever betrothed to T'Pring in the new timeline?

Two, was Spock an adulterer for having a relationship with Leila Kalomi from This Side of Paradise?
Three, is T'Pring still alive. I'm just saying, with only 10'000 Vulcans left she very well maybe dead.
Every Vulcan featured in the show and the spinoffs will have survived
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 06:39 PM   #726
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

BillJ wrote: View Post
throwback wrote: View Post
I do have this question. In the prime universe, he was betrothed to T'Pring, which by Vulcan law made her his wife. Is that the situation in this new universe, and if so, does that make Spock an adulterer for having a relationship with Uhura?
Depends on a couple of things:

One, was Spock ever betrothed to T'Pring in the new timeline?

Two, was Spock an adulterer for having a relationship with Leila Kalomi from This Side of Paradise?
Well T'Pring was banging Ston on the side, so does it matter? Maybe till the betrothed actually get married Vulcans view it was being single.

Also, if T'Pring shows up in the new timeline does that mean will get the female version of the marriage battle from Amok Time? Uhura vs T'Pring...that could be interesting.
__________________
- SeerSGB -
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 06:43 PM   #727
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Wow, now that spoilery synopsis sounds like the greatest piece of fan wank shit I've ever seen. Khan, Spock Prime, a reverse of the TWOK death scene, with reset button at the end? Not even Orci & Kurtzman can be that crazy.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 06:47 PM   #728
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Empire Review (4/5)

CrazyHorse89 wrote: View Post
Here's the long-awaited review of ST:ID by Empire.

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/...asp?FID=136708
Merging this with the Grading & Discussion thread...
__________________
The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but
that the lightning ain't distributed right.
— Mark Twain
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 06:50 PM   #729
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Wow, now that spoilery synopsis sounds like the greatest piece of fan wank shit I've ever seen. Khan, Spock Prime, a reverse of the TWOK death scene, with reset button at the end? Not even Orci & Kurtzman can be that crazy.
We are all eager to find out if it actually 'works' on screen

If the same dude wrote a spoilery synopsis of ST09 it would seem like the greatest piece of fanwank as well, wouldn't it?
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 09:44 PM   #730
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral
 
Lord Prancer The 5th's Avatar
 
Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

BillJ wrote: View Post
If you decide Spock is a man, then you pretty much rule out female actors no matter how talented.
Cate Blanchett would like a word with you.
__________________
"Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines."
― Bertrand Russell
Lord Prancer The 5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 09:54 PM   #731
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: second star to the right
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

BillJ wrote: View Post
Two, was Spock an adulterer for having a relationship with Leila Kalomi from This Side of Paradise?
This Side of Paradise: Stardate 3417.3
Amok Time: Stardate 3372.7
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 10:23 PM   #732
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

That just means the stardates are screwed up.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 10:30 PM   #733
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Captrek wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Two, was Spock an adulterer for having a relationship with Leila Kalomi from This Side of Paradise?
This Side of Paradise: Stardate 3417.3
Amok Time: Stardate 3372.7
This Side of Paradise is actually a first-season episode while Amok Time is season two.

Just because one takes place before the other doesn't mean it isn't part of the character background. Remember, Spock had a relationship with Kalomi six years prior to the episode...

This Side of Paradise wrote:
ELIAS: You've known the Vulcanian?
LEILA: On Earth, six years ago.
ELIAS: Did you love him?
LEILA: If I did, it was important only to myself.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 10:32 PM   #734
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 10:40 PM   #735
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: Empire Review (4/5)

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
If this is Abrams’ final frontier, he has left Star Trek in a good place, both in the fictional universe and as a franchise. In some sense, the title is misleading. Into Darkness is a blast, fun, funny, spectacular and exhilarating. The rule of great even-numbered Trek movies continues.
Sounds good.
yeah, but I thought Trek XI was pretty good, so, in effect, the Rule of Evens has been nullified.

(and, yes, I''m an "old" Trekkie)
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
benedict cumberbatch, grading & discussion, jj abrams

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.