RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 538
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.28%
A 161 21.55%
A- 101 13.52%
B+ 83 11.11%
B 58 7.76%
B- 27 3.61%
C+ 40 5.35%
C 38 5.09%
C- 25 3.35%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.82%
Voters: 747. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 28 2013, 04:31 AM   #631
Chi'pok
Lieutenant

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

I have read (or skimmed) all 42 pages of the thread. I'm actually glad I did. When I first read the info about the villain; I was mad. Now, after reading the reasons why… I am in a better place and am willing to see the movie for what it is. Consider that you have new writers (well newish (2009)) playing in a sandbox that was created almost 50 years ago (Nov./Dec. 1964!). There is a lot of ground that can be covered and remixed and refashioned and that is a good thing. It also means more Trek onscreen.

I do wish they had written an original story, but they knew what would get butts into seats; so they went with it.

I did like 2009 Trek; altho the lens flares got old real fast. I hope there will be less of them… (please?)

As long as the novels are still being written we have a big enough multiverse to explore and I will be happy with that too..

I was originally not a fan of Enterprise but have since grown to like it. I'm looking forward to Chris Bennett's take on ENT in July. I'm glad there will at least be one nod to ENT fans in the new movie (see upthread).

Sorry for the disjointed nature of this post. Just musing I guess.
Chi'pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 04:32 AM   #632
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

section9 wrote: View Post
Seems some people in Britain and the U.S. have found that a "White Englishman" is playing a Desi Sikh and that's not going down too well among some folks in 2013.
Like a similar-sized group wouldn't have been outraged by a swarthy guy being shown to be a terrorist?

some alluded to it earlier when they charged that JJ was engaged in "whitewashing" with Khan's character.
The best audition gets the job. Welcome to Hollywood.

Were people screaming when Harvey Dent was black (Billy Dee Williams) in "Batman" in 1989? When (Eartha Kitt and) Halle Berry won the role of "Catwoman"?

When the "Fantastic Four" recast blind sculptess, Alicia Masters, as a black woman when the original comics had said she was supposed to be able to pass as Sue Storm without much effort?

I recall chatting to George Takei once, when he and James Doohan were trying to garner some interest in them being cast for a stage version of "The Odd Couple", and he was being met with disbelief. He said if he only ever auditioned for roles written for Asian men in Hollywood, he'd starve.

Chi'pok wrote: View Post
Now, after reading the reasons why… I am in a better place and am willing to see the movie for what it is.
Perhaps it's partly why it's opening internationally first.

I did like 2009 Trek; altho the lens flares got old real fast. I hope there will be less of them… (please?)
They are quite small, in comparison, and in 3D! They are cool!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 04:50 AM   #633
Anduril
Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Rothschild wrote: View Post
So has anyone found out how the movie ends?
Yes.
And you're not telling right?
Old April 28 2013, 05:27 AM   #634
Therin of Andor
Admiral

It really does a disservice to the creators to race around telling people the end of movies and books. Especially hearing back things like, "Oh good, you've saved me the trouble/money now."

Anything I say is just gonna polarize things further. I found the ending to be both satisfying and frustrating, as I believe the makers might have been aiming at. Which is good!
Old April 28 2013, 05:27 AM   #635
GMDreia
Commander

There is this brutal bit of insurgent warfare breaking out on the Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness hashtags on tumblr. Seems some people in Britain and the U.S. have found that a "White Englishman" is playing a Desi Sikh and that's not going down too well among some folks in 2013.

Expect this controversy to start growing over the next week. I'm not sure how big it will get, but some alluded to it earlier when they charged that JJ was engaged in "whitewashing" with Khan's character.

Just FYI.
Yeah, I have been warning all of my Trekker friends on Tumblr to stay off of all Trek related or Cumberbatch tags, to unfollow their social justice blogs temporarily, maybe even to stay off of tumblr unless they want to be spoilered.

The social justice crowd on tumblr isn't putting anything behind a spoiler cut.

My feeling is there is no way anyone could get it right regarding Khan.

Actually casting a Desi actor as a terrorist would be a huge no no, there's already the problem in America where Middle Eastern and Indian actors mainly get cast as terrorist types or dictator types.

Having a white guy as the bad guy is the safest option, but their very safest would have been not to have used Khan at all.

But I'm excited to see the film and see how things play out.

Last edited by GMDreia; April 28 2013 at 05:39 AM.
GMDreia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 05:36 AM   #636
Anduril
Captain

It really does a disservice to the creators to race around telling people the end of movies and books. Especially hearing back things like, "Oh good, you've saved me the trouble/money now."

Anything I say is just gonna polarize things further. I found the ending to be both satisfying and frustrating, as I believe the makers might have been aiming at. Which is good!

Ok, fair enough. But the way you described the ending has me more curious than ever!
Old April 28 2013, 11:27 AM   #637
Chi'pok
Lieutenant

Thanks, Therin. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie.

(sorry had to use the Bolian; there does not appear to be an Andorian smiley)
Chi'pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 12:56 PM   #638
Therin of Andor
Admiral

.V
Old April 28 2013, 01:56 PM   #639
Mach5
Rear Admiral

.V
Amateurs.
Old April 28 2013, 02:45 PM   #640
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

There is this brutal bit of insurgent warfare breaking out on the Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness hashtags on tumblr. Seems some people in Britain and the U.S. have found that a "White Englishman" is playing a Desi Sikh and that's not going down too well among some folks in 2013.

Expect this controversy to start growing over the next week. I'm not sure how big it will get, but some alluded to it earlier when they charged that JJ was engaged in "whitewashing" with Khan's character.

Just FYI.
Perhaps this is the beginnings of the epic "Star Trek wars" foretold in Futurama...
Old April 28 2013, 02:55 PM   #641
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
Perhaps this is the beginnings of the epic "Star Trek wars" foretold in Futurama...
Is that the mass migration of Star Wars fans?
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 03:00 PM   #642
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Xaios wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Is that the mass migration of Star Wars fans?
No. That the "Star Wars trek".
Old April 28 2013, 03:03 PM   #643
Franklin
Rear Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
Since the topic is wavering, anyway (WHERE ARE THOSE SPOILERS, PEOPLE?!), there were some great stories in all Trek series, but exactly what were the episodes of TOS (or TNG) that actually "made one think" or were cerebral? The ones that transcended even a great episode of any other weekly drama or action-adventure show?
[snip]

I'm not trying to provoke an argument or set people up to flame their tastes, but honestly, what were the episodes that were not just good strories, but were cerebral and thought provoking? What's the list?
(list clipped by Franklin for space)

I'm doing this on the fly, but if I get back here in the next couple of days, I'll probably have a few more thoughts along these lines. In the meantime youse can tear me one over the above comments.
Meh. Things are about to get busy for me for the next couple of weeks. Maybe I'll get to it after the first week of May. That OK for you?
Old April 28 2013, 03:48 PM   #644
LancerKind
Ensign

View LancerKind's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LancerKind Send a message via Yahoo to LancerKind

Will it be Spectacle or Spectacular?
I haven't seen the film yet. I and dyed in the wool Trekkie Hal Dace have a pre-movie discussion about how much/little "Trek Purity" Into Darkness will have.
My prediction: 6/11
Hal's: 0/11

Take a look at our Trek Purity Test and comment if you think we're off mark and vote how Into Darkness did on the test.

[Link removed. - M']

Last edited by M'Sharak; April 28 2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: link. removed it.
LancerKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 05:14 PM   #645
throwback
Captain

I am going to attempt answer specifically what I see in a thread, without going into one of my diatribes, or attack the movie.

Well, anyway, I took the purity test, and I voted 0. I noticed that 66.67% of respondents voted the same way. 33.33% of respondents voted for six of the items being present in the next film.

I would have more respect for JJ Abrams and his team if they had been open from the beginning. "Hey, guys and gals, we are doing a story with Khan. It's going to be fantastic." I have read about other film productions where the people involved were more open about their villains. I don't know how other people feel, but I don't like mind games and deception. And that is what I feel that JJ Abrams was doing.

For me, I am looking forward to more information on what ships will appear in the next film. I know there is the Takay, the NCC-07-B, the Bradbury, and the two main ships - Enterprise and Vengeance. I am curious to see what other ships there will be in the next film.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote