May-June 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 30

Ross To Attend Trek Convention
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

William Shatner Presents Chaos On The Bridge US Premiere
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

Trek Phaser Monitor Mate Bobble Prop
By: T'Bonz on Apr 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 146 18.79%
A 163 20.98%
A- 102 13.13%
B+ 86 11.07%
B 62 7.98%
B- 31 3.99%
C+ 42 5.41%
C 39 5.02%
C- 28 3.60%
D+ 12 1.54%
D 13 1.67%
D- 10 1.29%
F 43 5.53%
Voters: 777. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 3 2014, 06:21 AM   #5086
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

If Malik did start reciting Moby Dick dialogue and intended to destroy the Enterprise with his self destruction, I would say they went further beyond doing a call back.

For what it's worth, when I was watching the flick and that scene came up, I was thinking "you gotta be kidding me", but then I started to get into it because the actors were doing a hell of a job selling the scene (Chris Pine's "I'm scared Spock" is great). It was actually working for me. But then Spock yelled "KHHHHHAAAAAAAN" and it dropped like a brick, or a starship plummeting down San Fransisco. They had me, they didn't have to take it further with that awful bit.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 05:49 PM   #5087
Melakon
Admiral

I only first saw STID last month, and today feel jaded that it doesn't fulfill advance promos that told us someone detonated the fleet. I didn't see any fleet detonations in it.
Old August 3 2014, 07:04 PM   #5088
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

That's because it should have been Lazarus as the villain. He could detonate universes, let alone a simple thing like a Starfleet.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 10:48 PM   #5089
Melakon
Admiral

I'm starting to think whoever wrote that advance ad copy, as well as whoever approved it, doesn't have a firm grasp of the English language.
Old August 3 2014, 11:13 PM   #5090
BigJake
Vice Admiral

Oh my God, the next movie should totally be the reboot "The Alternative Factor." Nobody but nobody would see that coming.
Old August 16 2014, 08:16 AM   #5091
J. Allen
Equine Sophist Simulacrum

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Melakon wrote: View Post
I'm starting to think whoever wrote that advance ad copy, as well as whoever approved it, doesn't have a firm grasp of the English language.
Yeah, that was a head scratcher. When I heard that, all I could think of was "the fleet what?" because you don't detonate a fleet. You can destroy a fleet, you can decimate a fleet, but you can't detonate a fleet, unless you armed all of their matter/anti-matter chambers to explode, but even then, detonating the fleet doesn't sound right, and doesn't quite work. Not the fault of the movie, though, which I enjoyed immensely!

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2014, 05:34 PM   #5092
The Keeper
Commodore

The moment of detonation referred to occurs at 2:28

Section 31 secret underground hanger go BOOM!
Old August 17 2014, 02:40 AM   #5093
UFO
Captain

The Keeper wrote: View Post
The moment of detonation referred to occurs at 2:28

Section 31 secret underground hanger go BOOM!
That could have had something to do with what the copy-writer was on about, but the fleet isn't being detonated. In fact it wasn't even that damaging if IIRC. Just a way for HK to get SF top brass in one place. Combine the two events and you are closer in a metaphorical sense, but it still doesn't really work that well.

Or to quote teacake (November 27 2012):
Well you wouldn't want the unstoppable force of terror to just blow up a couple buildings in San Francisco would you? How is that going to leave our world in a state of crisis and propel people into manhunts?
I have no idea.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2014, 07:11 PM   #5094
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Just a fun nugget: Seems that Jerome Bixby ("Mirror, Mirror", "The Day of the Dove", "Requiem for Methuselah") would've pitched an episode where the Enterprise lands on a water world if TOS had been renewed.

http://www.amazon.com/Mirror-Classic...=1418321369976
Old January 14 2015, 04:04 PM   #5095
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Its funny how people still "wander" in to watch the movie. I also talked to someone recently who just saw the movie for the first time, and he said it was the only movie he recently saw that he stayed awake through...success!

RAMA
Old January 19 2015, 07:02 AM   #5096
JWPlatt
Captain

I just watched the Paramount apology to the fans for screwing us over with special content spread across several exclusive retailers - aka "Star Trek: The Compendium" Blu-ray.

On the whole, I enjoyed the film more than the first time around because I was prepared for the onslaught to my fan sensibilities. So not bad. There was a bunch of humor I enjoyed. I just had to watch it for the entertainment value and forget I am a fan of Star Trek.

Oh, and the underwear scene - I think people protest way too much.
Old January 20 2015, 11:27 PM   #5097
J. Allen
Equine Sophist Simulacrum

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
I just watched the Paramount apology to the fans for screwing us over with special content spread across several exclusive retailers - aka "Star Trek: The Compendium" Blu-ray.

On the whole, I enjoyed the film more than the first time around because I was prepared for the onslaught to my fan sensibilities. So not bad. There was a bunch of humor I enjoyed. I just had to watch it for the entertainment value and forget I am a fan of Star Trek.

They definitely protest too much. It's like they forgot about Bill Theiss' costumes, or the camera angles when they focused on women in TNG, or Dax's very skin tight bathing suit in DS9, or any of the Dabo girls for that matter, or Seven's thermal suit in VOY, the decon gel scenes in ENT. I mean, flipping out over an underwear scene was just absurd.

"Sexual appeal!? What does this man think we are? Star Wars fans?! Sex appeal has no place in Star Trek! It's a Philosopher's Reli-er, show! Philosopher's show about deep things! Deep, deep things about thinking and stuff!"

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2015, 11:31 PM   #5098
BillJ
Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post

They definitely protest too much. It's like they forgot about Bill Theiss' costumes, or the camera angles when they focused on women in TNG, or Dax's very skin tight bathing suit in DS9, or any of the Dabo girls for that matter, or Seven's thermal suit in VOY, the decon gel scenes in ENT. I mean, flipping out over an underwear scene was just absurd.

"Sexual appeal!? What does this man think we are? Star Wars fans?! Sex appeal has no place in Star Trek! It's a Philosopher's Reli-er, show! Philosopher's show about deep things! Deep, deep things about thinking and stuff!"
I credit Bill Theiss for my very early love of the female form!
Old January 20 2015, 11:35 PM   #5099
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Nobody got "screwed over." Fandom has no one to blame for this but themselves. No one was forced to buy the first Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-Rays; anyone who double-dipped (myself included) did so knowing full well that Paramount would very likely eventually re-release the film again. That Paramount felt the need to apologize is nice and all, but was also largely unnecessary.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2015, 11:59 PM   #5100
BillJ
Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Nobody got "screwed over." Fandom has no one to blame for this but themselves. No one was forced to buy the first Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-Rays; anyone who double-dipped (myself included) did so knowing full well that Paramount would very likely eventually re-release the film again. That Paramount felt the need to apologize is nice and all, but was also largely unnecessary.
I've bought each of the Abrams films twice on Blu-ray. I've bought TOS and TNG on various formats, first ten movies on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray.

People act like this is the first time Paramount/CBS has asked them to double-dip on Trek.

People have short memories.