Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.20%
A 161 21.47%
A- 101 13.47%
B+ 83 11.07%
B 59 7.87%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.33%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.33%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.73%
D- 10 1.33%
F 38 5.07%
Voters: 750. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 11 2013, 08:06 AM   #4711
Kabraxal
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

judgeroy wrote: View Post
LOL. I read a very interesting article in Forbes today that talked about "entitled" fans and how the scream and squall about their favorite series/franchise and take to the internet and raise a huge fuss over every detail and how that has negatively effected shows/films. IMHO, this is a big part of why STID didn't do as well as it could have in the US market. Look, fanbois took to every forum in 2009 to wail about how bad the direction JJ and Co were taking the franchise and they kept it up for 3 years, berating any and all news of STID and then when the movie came out, they stepped it up even more. I would bet that many, many people who were interested in watching the movie were put off by all this negativity from the "entitled" fans. In essence all their ranting negated good word of mouth, which is what pulled the 2009 movie up so much. Another good example of this was Man of Steel.
I don't think STiD really suffered from any of that... it pretty much matched the first of the nuTrek and seems to be well liked. And MoS really dserved the bad word of mouth... it was just a terrible film, let alone and even worse Superman film.

As for STiD... it was so good I find myself actually being more kind to ST09 in the rewatch I am having. That's how good STiD is.
Kabraxal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 12:16 AM   #4712
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

judgeroy wrote: View Post
I would bet that many, many people who were interested in watching the movie were put off by all this negativity from the "entitled" fans. In essence all their ranting negated good word of mouth, which is what pulled the 2009 movie up so much.
But how do members of the general public become aware of negative fan rants on a Trek BBS? Only when the media do a shock expose article about it.

Avid fans of Trek - like me - wouldn't allow bad-mouthing of a Trek movie put them off. (Otherwise I'd have never gone to see ST V.) But yes, negative ranting can do damage to the franchise as a whole. One the one hand fans will process Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations, while simultaneously perceiving that the public has a negative stereotypical image of Trekkies, yet in the next breath they are engaging in a ridiculous rant (which, to me, never ends up holding any water) simply because Trek took an unexpected turn in its storytelling, at odds with "what they should have done".

Is it time to laugh at "The Onion" video again?

http://www.theonion.com/video/trekki...tchable,14333/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 03:42 AM   #4713
gazomg
Captain

I watched it Wednesday night for the first time, and was thinking of what senator Vreenak said to Sisko in DS9
"to be honest my opinion of star fleet officers is so low you would have to work very hard indeed to disappoint me"

This applies to this movie, my expected disgust was there, however the movie was produced well enough, had all the hollywood action, drama effects etc, but is sucked, like the last movie it just was not trek for me but felt compelled to watch it.

http://gazomg-trek-art.blogspot.ie/
gazomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 03:45 AM   #4714
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

gazomg wrote: View Post
This applies to this movie, my expected disgust was there, ...
If you're disgusted watching a movie that isn't a snuff film, I tend to think you're doing it wrong.
Old September 14 2013, 04:04 AM   #4715
gazomg
Captain

I enjoyed it as your standard action movie with the usual cliches and typical scenes, and it was a good production nice effects etc, but as a trek film it was poor

http://gazomg-trek-art.blogspot.ie/
gazomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 06:21 AM   #4716
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

I enjoyed it as your standard action movie with the usual cliches and typical scenes, and it was a good production nice effects etc, but as a trek film it was poor
What do you define as being a Trek film, though? It's based on the Star Trek mythos, using Star Trek characters, locations, and properties; it contains thematic elements that can be found in most Star Trek films and various series, and it is being funded by the company that authorizes the use of previously mentioned properties. On top of that, it is called "Star Trek."

Saying it's not a Star Trek film is completely subjective.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 09:32 AM   #4717
Ln X
Fleet Captain

Agreed.

Besides STID could have redeemed itself with a decent ending but... Man! The ending had me saying Dr. Evil's 'right' it was that mental.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OWL7AzvHo

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 10:34 AM   #4718
Tosk
Rear Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Saying it's not a Star Trek film is completely subjective.
Doesn't that go without saying?

I thought the film had excellent production design, action, effects, scoring, acting, etc. ...also subjective.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 10:45 AM   #4719
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Are "In the Pale Moonlight", "Rascals", "Tuvix", "The Trouble With Tribbles" or "The Expanse" real Star Trek? Perhaps someone could make a list.
Old September 14 2013, 01:06 PM   #4720
BillJ
Admiral

Only The Cage and Threshold are true Star Trek!
Old September 14 2013, 01:52 PM   #4721
Opus
Commodore

Pft! The Cage...

Threshold... and The Bride of Chaotica are the only 'True Trek' episodes that deserve worship.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 01:53 PM   #4722
BillJ
Admiral

Opus wrote: View Post
Pft! The Cage...

Threshold... and The Bride of Chaotica are the only 'True Trek' episodes that deserve worship.
I might have agreed if you had said Move Along Home. But now it's war!!!
Old September 14 2013, 01:54 PM   #4723
Opus
Commodore

Move Along Home?

Heretic.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 04:07 PM   #4724
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Gazomg never said the film was not true Star Trek...he just said that as a Star Trek film, STID was poor. If he said that about Nemesis would people be jumping on right now?
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 04:11 PM   #4725
BillJ
Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
Gazomg never said the film was not true Star Trek...he just said that as a Star Trek film, STID was poor. If he said that about Nemesis would people be jumping on right now?
I tend to think that if we classify something as a "good movie" but a "bad Trek movie" we're missing the point. Why does a Trek movie need to be anything more than a "good movie"?

Star Trek: Nemesis wasn't a "bad Trek movie", it was just a bad movie.