Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.35%
A 161 21.64%
A- 100 13.44%
B+ 82 11.02%
B 58 7.80%
B- 27 3.63%
C+ 40 5.38%
C 38 5.11%
C- 24 3.23%
D+ 11 1.48%
D 13 1.75%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.84%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 29 2013, 04:34 PM   #4411
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Problem being, every other Starship-class commander is shown to be older or higher ranked than Kirk.

Plus, there isn't a whole lot of time for Kirk to have commanded another ship. If Starfleet is a five-year school, then you have a man who graduated at 23. We know from The Deadly Years that Kirk is 34 and likely took command of the Enterprise at no later than age 31. Which leaves just eight years for him to climb the ranks and I can't believe he was accelerated rank-to-rank every step of the way.

Unless someone has something more than Dehner's line from the actual episodes, then I tend to believe that the Enterprise was Kirk's first command.
Old June 29 2013, 05:22 PM   #4412
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
Which leaves just eight years for him to climb the ranks
Like Saavik, Kirk was a lieutenant while still at the Academy.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2013, 11:42 PM   #4413
Ln X
Fleet Captain

I just found an excellent review of STID!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZvaQHrvwZM

The TNG crew review this film and boy do they hit the mark!

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 12:17 AM   #4414
The Keeper
Commodore

Great climax!

Last edited by The Keeper; June 30 2013 at 01:45 AM.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 12:29 AM   #4415
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Ln X wrote: View Post

I care as much about their review as I do if the TOS cast did a review. Which is zero.
Old June 30 2013, 12:52 AM   #4416
Ln X
Fleet Captain

I care as much about their review as I do if the TOS cast did a review. Which is zero.
Aside from great humour there are some nuggets of truth buried in the great works of General Grin. It's the most humorous review I've yet seen of STID!

Old June 30 2013, 12:58 AM   #4417
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I saw STID again for the second time and I think I enjoyed it more the second time around. I would still give it a B-, but I didn't walk out of the theater angry like I did the first time. Heck, I even stayed for the credits and realized that this score was better than the Star Trek 2009 score. At least it didn't feel repetitive like that one did. I did have a few other thoughts:

1) What exactly was the point of the Noel Clarke scene? I understand it was to save his daughter, yet he then blows himself and the Data Archive up like 5 minutes later. Was it to show that the regeneration blood worked, which we saw with the Tribble later in the film? I was a little confused on why he was in the movie.

2) I really liked Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan, but I still think the movie would have been better had they actually made Khan a good guy. The Negociations with Marcus and and the Space fly scene were probably my favorite scenes in the movie because they showed how powerful the Vengeance was, and it was a good direction the movie should have gone into. Again, my main problem with this movie is we get this original universe after the distruction as Vulcan and the very next movie the Abrams gang goes back to the WOK well, which brings me to number 3.

3) I still didn't like the KAHHHHHNNNN scream and the death did feel empty, but I did like the scene between Spock and Kirk before Kirk "died". I just wish we had gotten to know these characters a whole lot more to make that scene feel really special. TWOK had like 20 years of backstory, this movie only had 2 movies or about 4-5 years.

4) If they were going to do homages to back films, one of the things that I thought today was the very end scene when they get the New Enterprise. One of the reasons I love TUC was because of the ending scene where they beam down to Khitomer to the end where Kirk says Second Star to the Right, and straight on till morning. I would have loved it if that line was here in this movie, after Spock asks where they want to go. I would have choked up a bit and it would bring everything full circle. The last time we saw the main crew, they were going back home to be decommissioned. How about we see this same crew (But different actors) going to figurative neverland, because that's what this 5 year journey is isn't it? If they're paying homages to movies, I think something like this would have really paid a great homage to Star Trek 6 and it would have raised my grade from a B- to maybe B+. I wanted this movie to have Heart and other than the Pike/Kirk scenes, it really didn't.

This movie did do, again, what it did before. It makes me wish we had a TV show set in this universe. I actually like these group of characters, from Zaldana's Uhura to Pegg's charming Scotty and now we got Alice Eve who was great as Carol Marcus. I don't want to wait every 4-5 years for a new movie.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39; June 30 2013 at 03:26 AM.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 01:00 AM   #4418
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

There were a couple of clever bits, and then a couple of others which I thought dragged on too long - Picard's "First Duty" speechifying, to name one. Needs a little work yet.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 01:05 AM   #4419
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I lost it at the ending.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 01:24 AM   #4420
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Meh.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 02:59 AM   #4421
Ryan8bit
Commodore

It's not cast reviews. It's cut up footage made by a guy (Major Grin) who does silly recuts of the next generation show for laughs. Have you ever seen any of them before? A lot of them are kind of strange, but admittedly I've had a couple laughs at them.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 03:15 AM   #4422
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
If they were going to do homages to back films, one of the things that I thought today was the very end scene when they get the New Enterprise. One of the reasons I love TUC was because of the ending scene where they beam down to Kitomere (SP?) to the end where Kirk says Second Star to the Right, and straight on till morning. I would have loved it if that line was here in this movie, after Spock asks where they want to go.
I had the same thought, actually. I was hoping for "Out there...thataway."

Instead, we got...uh, actually I don't remember. Kinda speaks to how I feel about this film in general.

Bring on the next one!
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 05:05 AM   #4423
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

This review is the closest one to how I reacted to the film that I've found so far. I especially like the point about Kirk punching away at Khan to no effect. The reviewer highlights a perspective on that moment that hadn't occurred to me, but fits into what I thought about the movie as a whole.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 08:56 AM   #4424
Ln X
Fleet Captain

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
It's not cast reviews. It's cut up footage made by a guy (Major Grin) who does silly recuts of the next generation show for laughs. Have you ever seen any of them before? A lot of them are kind of strange, but admittedly I've had a couple laughs at them.
I never said the TNG cast were reviewing STID, just the actual crew and characters. Besides it would not be General Grin if he didn't commit a few acts of utter barbarity upon the TNG characters. I'm just waiting for an STID recut!

Old June 30 2013, 10:55 AM   #4425
Belz...
Fleet Captain

And by "hit the mark", you mean "agree with me", right ?

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote