RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,659
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 406
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.30%
A 161 21.58%
A- 101 13.54%
B+ 82 10.99%
B 58 7.77%
B- 27 3.62%
C+ 40 5.36%
C 38 5.09%
C- 25 3.35%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.83%
Voters: 746. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 30 2013, 03:57 PM   #3901
Pro Populo
Rear Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

J.A. Morris wrote: View Post
I liked it a lot, gave it an A in the poll. But I wish they could find a way to make a ST movie that finds the happy medium between "cerebral" and "2 hrs of blowing $h!t up".
I feel like that as well (though my vote was more in the "B" range). I think STID very much succeeds as an incredibly fun spacey-wacey action-Jackson blockbuster, but like ST09, it does not hold up very well under intense scrutiny. That, of course, turns off a certain set of fans. Me, I think Star Trek should be fun, because that is, in fact, how it started: as a space-set adventure show. But as a fan, I also very much believe in the franchise's overriding ethos of telling big, idea-based stories, which is where I felt STID fell a bit short. I definitely didn't find it to be a failure, mind you, but I feel like a bit more polishing to the script could have brought that balance you speak of.

For me, the Trek film that comes closest to achieving the cerebral vs. action balance is probably TUC. Its political allegory is not so subtle, to be sure, but I feel it's woven in quite well with the story, which has stakes for the characters that make it involving for the audience addition to throwing in some (reasonably) thoughtful commentary on the early uncertainty of post-Cold War international relations. I feel like Trek could do something similar with terrorism today, and had a good chance with STID, which did include aspects such as the militarization of Starfleet, etc., but it didn't all quite come together as well.
Pro Populo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 04:36 PM   #3902
Belz...
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
In TWOK, Kirk and Khan never even meet in person, even though Kirk is the hero and Khan is the villain. That left the audience totally confused. Bad film.
Your opinion aside, and although in retrospect it's odd to not have them meet face-to-face, I think it actually works in the movie's favour, and most people don't seem to mind.
Old May 30 2013, 04:56 PM   #3903
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

There have been no "big ideas" in Star Trek movies that are any more relevant to the current day or as substantive as the political/moral positions expressed in STID. I'm not sure that Trek has staked out a position on an issue that's strayed further from the safe and generic than this movie since perhaps "A Taste Of Armageddon," and that's a long time.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 05:00 PM   #3904
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I liked it a lot, gave it an A in the poll. But I wish they could find a way to make a ST movie that finds the happy medium between "cerebral" and "2 hrs of blowing $h!t up".
Borgminister wrote: View Post
That would have to be low budget and play to the local art houses, unfortunately...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...psba0e8b91.gif

[Converted to link. Images should be hosted on web space or an image-sharing account belonging to you. - M']

There a many successful films with less action and more substance.

Last edited by M'Sharak; May 30 2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: hotlinked image
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 05:18 PM   #3905
indranee
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
Critical check-in: IMDB audience rating is still 8.3 after 10,000 more votes since the last I checked.

Roten Tamatoes: An amazing 201 out of 231 reviews are fresh, if it wasn't for ST09's off-the-charts score, this would be spectacular.
I think ST09 had the "dooooooood Im frist!!!" factor going...
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 05:20 PM   #3906
indranee
Vice Admiral

True, this wasn't cerebral. But it came close to character moments juxtaposed by action moments... which is as close as you can come in this box office environment to what you want.

The cerebral thing with Trek will have to be in a TV show, I'm afraid.
Old May 30 2013, 05:53 PM   #3907
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
There have been no "big ideas" in Star Trek movies that are any more relevant to the current day or as substantive as the political/moral positions expressed in STID. I'm not sure that Trek has staked out a position on an issue that's strayed further from the safe and generic than this movie since perhaps "A Taste Of Armageddon," and that's a long time.
What was it that Dennis Bailey guy used to say? Oh yeah. Absolutely Right.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 05:55 PM   #3908
indranee
Vice Admiral

Yeah I wonder where Dennis went?
Old May 30 2013, 06:34 PM   #3909
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
There's really no virtue to being consistent with something that espouses outdated and unfair values. None at all.
QFT
Old May 30 2013, 06:43 PM   #3910
Borgminister

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Borgminister wrote: View Post
That would have to be low budget and play to the local art houses, unfortunately...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...psba0e8b91.gif

[Converted to link. Images should be hosted on web space or an image-sharing account belonging to you. - M']

There a many successful films with less action and more substance.
Neil needs to be in the next ST movie!

We are talking about Star Trek here, right?

Last edited by M'Sharak; May 30 2013 at 10:10 PM. Reason: hotlink
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 07:20 PM   #3911
Belz...
Fleet Captain

indranee wrote: View Post
The cerebral thing with Trek will have to be in a TV show, I'm afraid.
And even then, I'm not sure in the current state of things on TV that such a show would be particularily cerebral. It might try to sell itself as such, however.
Old May 30 2013, 07:30 PM   #3912
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

throwback wrote: View Post
TWoK established that both characters had a backstory. If an audience member wanted to see that backstory, he or she could buy a VHS copy of Space Seed. (In conjunction with the movie, Paramount had released a VHS copy of the episode.) [http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star...ies_%28VHS%29]
That seems like a shitty thing to do to people.

"Don't know what's going on? Send us 19.99 and we'll eventually send you a tape of the backstory long after the movie has left the theaters so then you can buy the tape for THAT, watch them in order in 6-12 months, and then finally understand why everyone is so upset."
Old May 30 2013, 07:40 PM   #3913
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

TWOK clearly explains everything you need to know. Enterprise found the Botany Bay, Khan tried to steal the ship and kill Kirk, Kirk exiled them on a green planet, and the green planet turned into a desert.

Seriously, it's not that hard.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 07:55 PM   #3914
throwback
Captain

A substantive moral/political debate that would work best with Khan is over the belief that humans can engineer our bodies to be better than they are. The question becomes then, who would be the engineers and what would be their moral/legal obligations to society? And, how would we engineer ourselves, through natural or artificial means? (Some believe that in time humans may become an amalgamation of both the organic and the synthetic.)
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 08:23 PM   #3915
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
A substantive moral/political debate that would work best with Khan is over the belief that humans can engineer our bodies to be better than they are. The question becomes then, who would be the engineers and what would be their moral/legal obligations to society? And, how would we engineer ourselves, through natural or artificial means? (Some believe that in time humans may become an amalgamation of both the organic and the synthetic.)
No, that's skiffy fluff. Important, relevant issues are those that affect the way human beings actually live in the world right now. Ruminating about the ethics of future possibilities in so narrow a sense is entertaining for a debate club but doesn't really touch people's experience.

One could debate the ethics of eugenics in the original "Space Seed," but that was a pretty safe topic at the time since the writer would ultimately come down on the side of "well, they're not really superior anyway because we can kick their asses" - there'd been rather a bit of a dust-up along these lines called the Second World War which had formed what was acceptable public opinion about this kind of thing.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote