RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 397
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.30%
A 161 21.58%
A- 101 13.54%
B+ 82 10.99%
B 58 7.77%
B- 27 3.62%
C+ 40 5.36%
C 38 5.09%
C- 25 3.35%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.83%
Voters: 746. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 25 2013, 04:56 PM   #361
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Coffins with frost on the windows.

That dog never did hunt. Khansicles, people. Khansicles. The game was up right there.

I assumed they were coffins right up till a few days ago. The coffins could have been from the attack on Starfleet. The frost could be because they preserved the bodies, or some sort of futuristic method of preparing the body. Easy.
Old April 25 2013, 04:56 PM   #362
Franklin
Rear Admiral

That dog never did hunt. Khansicles, people. Khansicles. The game was up right there.
Well, there were some who thought one of the vague faces had ridges on its forehead like Klingons. But that was unlikely, so yeah, the jig was up then.

Didn't the very first teaser have the hands on the glass scene? Turns out that months before release, we got a glimpse of what a lot of folks vehemently dismissed as anything but what it turns out to be:
Old April 25 2013, 04:58 PM   #363
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Probably the biggest giveaway was the first actor they tried to hire. No wanted to believe it.
Old April 25 2013, 04:58 PM   #364
yenny
Captain

To me, Benedict Cumberbatch resemble Phillip Pine, the person that play Colonel Green, then he does Ricardo Montalban.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 05:08 PM   #365
marksound
Fleet Captain

Mad Jack Wolfe wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
Edited to add:

Last edited by M'Sharak; April 25 2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: quote atribution corrected
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 05:47 PM   #366
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I have to say that the 'magic blood' combined with the uber-star destroyer Vengeance has me a bit concerned. But like anything else it'll all be in the execution.
Old April 25 2013, 05:55 PM   #367
Opus
Commodore

At this point, all the squabbling about magic blood, coffins, Khan supermen and Section 31 uber-sized starships is fanboi nonsense.

What I am really looking forward to is...
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 06:00 PM   #368
Franklin
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I have to say that the 'magic blood' combined with the uber-star destroyer Vengeance has me a bit concerned. But like anything else it'll all be in the execution.
I don't know, a ship like the Vengeance makes sense in the post-Vulcan era and after confronting a ship like Nero's (which was only a civilian mining ship). I'm sure Starfleet has its version of Area 51 and is keeping even a few more secrets.

Don't like the name of the ship, though.

To me, the "magic blood" is problematic and one of the lesser things about some of the technology shown in Trek that's ever bothered me.
Old April 25 2013, 06:00 PM   #369
Flake
Commodore

Magic blood is indeed weird but remember that we all accepted that Spocks dead body was shot in a torpedo tube into the surface of genesis and then regenerated itself into a baby then a child then back to an adult of the exact same age Spock used to be all in the space of a day or two.. Co-incidentally the planet destroyed itself in the exact same time span and co-incidentally the enterprise turned up at just the right time after being on a long journey home for weeks. A few hours later and they would've turned up at a pile of rubble where a planet used to be.. Yet magic blood is somehow a no no. And that's only TSFS. There is 750 episodes and movies of these weird things !

Trek is very strange really...

The issues I have are the switcharoo, what Spock shouts and the fact they are retreading old ground. I have no doubt that I will enjoy this movie when all is said and done. Spoilers laid out on a page can be a bitter pill to swallow when you don't actually see the movie !

I am contradicting myself a lot in this thread when I think about it. Clearly reading the spoilers was a bad idea ! Just show me the movie already.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 06:08 PM   #370
BillJ
Admiral

Opus wrote: View Post
At this point, all the squabbling about magic blood, coffins, Khan supermen and Section 31 uber-sized starships is fanboi nonsense.

I think Kirk's death bothers me too. Not that he dies, but that they bring him back (and Kirk is my favorite character in all of Trek). It seems cheap and that Trek is once again hitting the reset button on a major change.

Once again, it'll all come down to execution.
Old April 25 2013, 06:12 PM   #371
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

I think Kirk's death bothers me too. Not that he dies, but that they bring him back (and Kirk is my favorite character in all of Trek). It seems cheap and that Trek is once again hitting the reset button on a major change.

It's a minor reset button IMO. How many time travel stories did we see where they use that plot device to solve a problem. A great example is in Star Trek IV .... why didn't they talke the whales back to an earlier point in history - deposit them - so the alien probe would have never showed up and presumably a lot of people wouldn't have died?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 06:14 PM   #372
Franklin
Rear Admiral

I'll put this in spoilers because it has a reveal some may not want to know, but there's something about one well known part of TWOK that was replicated in STID that amuses me:

Old April 25 2013, 06:16 PM   #373
BillJ
Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post

It's a minor reset button IMO. How many time travel stories did we see where they use that plot device to solve a problem. A great example is in Star Trek IV .... why didn't they talke the whales back to an earlier point in history - deposit them - so the alien probe would have never showed up and presumably a lot of people wouldn't have died?
Star Trek has had a ton of funky plot logic over the decades, I don't think anyone can argue otherwise. But I was hoping with three years to write the movie, that the plot gimmicks wouldn't be quite so transparent.
Old April 25 2013, 06:18 PM   #374
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Hey, guys - remember the first shot of the cryogenic chambers that came out months ago through official channels? The ones with the frost on their little windows? What did people think they were other than cryogenic chambers?
I thought they could've been mortuary chambers because of the sequencing of the edit. First they showed a Federation flag being folded, and then they showed that. But the room didn't look like a morgue really. Nor did it really look like a ship like the Botany Bay. I'm guessing it's where Khan's followers were being held on earth in some sort of bunker, but I haven't read the full synopsis of the movie. Is it actually known where this room is and who those two people are?
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 06:21 PM   #375
Opus
Commodore

Opus wrote: View Post

It doesn't bother me. Neither does...

I'm looking forward to both.

But yes, it is about execution. Nemesis was an example of execution done poorly.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote