RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,730
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 896
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 139 19.39%
A 157 21.90%
A- 98 13.67%
B+ 77 10.74%
B 58 8.09%
B- 27 3.77%
C+ 38 5.30%
C 37 5.16%
C- 23 3.21%
D+ 11 1.53%
D 13 1.81%
D- 6 0.84%
F 33 4.60%
Voters: 717. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 25 2013, 08:30 PM   #3646
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Woah. Just returned from seeing the movie again. I'm glad I did. Plot makes more sense now that I know what I'm looking for. We enjoyed it very much (me and the wife).

And I couldn't spot anything besides the impulse deck and nacelle fins that are different at the end. We didn't get to see the deflector, however, the only other thing that was massively damaged in the movie.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 08:49 PM   #3647
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Belz... wrote: View Post
And I couldn't spot anything besides the impulse deck and nacelle fins that are different at the end. We didn't get to see the deflector, however, the only other thing that was massively damaged in the movie.
There is this:

beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 08:51 PM   #3648
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I just saw STID and I loved it.

I do find myself hoping that they don't use Khan again for awhile, though. Let him stay a popsicle. He got what he deserved, in the end.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 09:02 PM   #3649
Belz...
Fleet Captain

beamMe wrote: View Post
There is this:

Broken link.

EDIT: Not sure I see it properly. Is that an added detail on there ? Anyway, very minor.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.

Last edited by Belz...; May 25 2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old May 25 2013, 09:03 PM   #3650
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

publiusr wrote: View Post
Saw the NIF chamber for the warp core http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Ignition_Facility
Thanks for the link! It's almost an engineering deck plan, like in the old Star Trek Fact Files
Old May 25 2013, 09:22 PM   #3651
GMDreia
Commander

Who wants to bet that the next time khan is taken out of cold storage, it's because KIRK needs him and needs to make a deal with the devil?
Old May 25 2013, 09:35 PM   #3652
Madderz
Cadet

I went to to see this last week as my 'birthday treat', and if i'm totaly honest I was massivly disapointed
It's not so much that it was bad, just the fact that there was soooooo much missing!

If this is Star Trek for a new generation, where were the back storys?

I found it as entertaining as i did frustrating lol
Madderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 09:38 PM   #3653
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Where was the back story in TOS ?

Old May 25 2013, 09:54 PM   #3654
throwback
Captain

You want backstory? Read the comics. Read the apps. (I am probably missing something.)

In this new age of entertainment, the people involved are expecting that people have a familiarity with other products, so as to have a fuller story of what is happening. If you did what they expected, you would have read a comic series and played a video game, and two references in the movie would not have come out of the blue. They are awarding you for your loyalty to the brand with these Easter eggs.

There are surprises in the comics. According to one issue, this Federation in the alternate universe achieved what the one in the prime hadn't done by 2260. The Federation spans 8,000 light years and has 150 members.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 10:29 PM   #3655
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^I just take that to mean that Federation-Prime has been stagnant for 100 years. It's something I can very easily imagine, going by Picard's ultra-pretentious monologues during early TNG.
Old May 25 2013, 10:53 PM   #3656
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Khan's a monster but he's also supposed to be a super-genius...
"Wile E. Coyote. Super-Genius."

Still never caught that roadrunner, though.

Tommunist wrote: View Post
In fact, that type of conflict is what TNG worked very well in, it's entertaining to watch, and we remind ourselves that there are more than one way to be "right", and maybe we all have it a little "wrong".
As hard to write it here as it is for the guys writing for TV.

I do get weirded out by the odd accusation that my various (I thought innocent) posts reveal my "hidden agenda". So hidden, it's even hidden from myself. Still never worked that one out.

And yes, it's also tricky if you've been living with a ST truism for four decades and you finally find out it's not necessarily the only interpretation. Or when an innocent typographical error in the ST Encyclopedia becames a mandated change because novel authors of a particular era were told to use the ST Encyclopedia as the definitive guide for all spellings.

But that's all part of the fun of being in a fandom.

I disliked "ST V: The Final Frontier" and a lot of early DS9 and VOY, but I stuck with them through (often) multiple viewings because even really "bad" ST can have little gems to enjoy - and most ST withstands repeat viewings, with new insights waiting to be discovered.

Tommunist wrote: View Post
As far as their discussions on "needless" fan service: I enjoy the nods. To the casual movie-goer, they don't register as such. But if you are a long time fan, they are there for our "enjoyment".
Always a no-win scenario for the writers.

Had STiD had few or no easter eggs whatsoever, you can bet this board would be maligning Bad Robot for "lost opportunities".

* "You could have toyed with the fans more by giving Carol Marcus a hairstyle that immediately reminded us of a previous canon character, such as Elizabeth Dehner!"

* "That trader vessel could have been confiscated from a known trader, such as... Harry Mudd. Or his daughter. Or some K'Normians from TMP."

* "Talking about traders, you could have dropped a hint about Cyrano Jones' wherabouts. And he could have brought on board... tribbles!"

* "You could have been really brave and made John Harrison reveal that he was... Khan!"

Last edited by Therin of Andor; May 25 2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: typo
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 01:17 AM   #3657
beamMe
Fleet Captain

There is this:

Broken link.

EDIT: Not sure I see it properly. Is that an added detail on there ? Anyway, very minor.
Not that minor. The dome structure above the bridge-deck is much more visible from this back view now after the refit.
Compare it with a shot from '09 where it is nearly flush with the structure behind it:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...ekxihd1006.jpg

I not 100 % sure, but I think they changed the height of the bridge-deck for that refit. Or something else.
Old May 26 2013, 01:53 AM   #3658
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Yeah I saw that after my edit. Maybe another starship simulator on the BluRay so we can check.

Old May 26 2013, 02:04 AM   #3659
beamMe
Fleet Captain

I hope there are interviews with the ILM guys soon. I'd love to know what else they changed.
Old May 26 2013, 02:08 AM   #3660
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I hope there are interviews with the ILM guys soon. I'd love to know what else they changed.
FXGUIDE.com has already got article, interview & podcast up. I don't think CINEFEX comes out for another month. No mention of anything interesting FXwise in the icgmagazine.com piece.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote