Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.23%
A 161 21.50%
A- 101 13.48%
B+ 83 11.08%
B 59 7.88%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.34%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.34%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 37 4.94%
Voters: 749. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20 2013, 03:15 AM   #3211
Shanndee
Commodore

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Nice try Teacake!, but I'm afraid in this case I am not convertible (and that is probably a good thing...I'd look silly as a car!)

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 03:16 AM   #3212
teacock
Admiral

But what if I get you drunk? We can sing row row row your boat!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 03:17 AM   #3213
flemm
Fleet Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
BEST Big Three scenes in all the movies.
I've certainly heard that many times from fans. I've never really connected with it that way, but quite a few people do.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 03:19 AM   #3214
Shanndee
Commodore

"gently down the stream..."

Hey, its your dime!

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 03:21 AM   #3215
teacock
Admiral

I will pay you to like it.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 20 2013, 03:42 AM   #3216
section9
Commander

Yes, just what the Trek Franchise needs: CumberKhan, NuKirk and NuSpock stuck in a shuttle in Klingon space singing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat..."

Torches and Pitchforks time, ladies and gentlemen....
Old May 20 2013, 03:47 AM   #3217
teacock
Admiral

section9 wrote: View Post
Yes, just what the Trek Franchise needs: CumberKhan, NuKirk and NuSpock stuck in a shuttle in Klingon space singing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat..."

Torches and Pitchforks time, ladies and gentlemen....
To put the marshmelons on?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 20 2013, 03:52 AM   #3218
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

^ Why? Because they're there.
Old May 20 2013, 03:56 AM   #3219
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Oh! Oh! Oh!

I know why fans like Star Trek V.

Because they need their pain!

Old May 20 2013, 05:18 AM   #3220
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

B+

Slice of Fried Gold
Old May 20 2013, 05:23 AM   #3221
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Saw the movie for a third time, hehe

I really wanted Kirk to say "Second Star to the Right..." at the end, or "Thata way"

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 05:46 AM   #3222
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The River Temoc wrote: View Post
STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS: SPOILER REVIEW

In brief: a mixed bag. More than a few letdowns, a few flashes of brilliance.
Just wanted to say that while I had a much more positive reaction to the movie (probably, because it gets better on repeated viewings) I thoroughly enjoyed your detailed and thoughtful review.

On to specifics: what I disliked, what I liked, then a wrap-up.

1. KHAN.
I think this is probably where I diverge from many other fans. I'm not sure why, but I never expected this Khan to be a carryover from the original. I expected it to be a reinterpretation, the same as all the other characters.

So once BC was announced as the villain (whom I assumed could very well turn out to be Khan) I was just fascinated to see what he would do with it. What he gave us was, as you say, a mesmerising, reptilian, contained performance. I loved how everything he did had such economy -- of speech, of movement. While Montalban's Khan was expansive and exaggerated and larger than life, Cumberbatch's Khan was just... still. Like a snake under a rock...coiled and ready to strike. Truly, I enjoyed both performances and have no issue with "whitewashing" or whatever other disappointments are consuming fandom.

I will concede that this Khan didn't need to be Khan. He could have been any other superhuman character with a grudge. But the Khan aspect seems to have been driven by the need to hook an audience's interest and expectation. Movies, unlike TV episodes, are often sold to the GP based on their similarity to something else that the potential audience can identify with. In this, Khan did his job before Cumberbatch ever walked into a scene, by cranking up the hype ahead of the film. I accept the commercial reality of that choice.

2. PACING. I found the frenetic pace a tad disconcerting.
I actually thought this was an extraordinarily well-paced movie. It was densely-packed with character and action sequences, and we didn't rest for long before heading off again, but I was surprised at how consistently engrossing it was.

To give another example: I don’t have the faintest idea, for example, of the logic of how cooperating with a bunch of Augments prepared Starfleet for a coming war with the Klingons. Augments may be physically powerful, but their spacefaring technology was 200 years out of date. It’s hard to see what they offer Starfleet in way of military technology.
But if you listen, it's not Khan's technology Marcus wants to exploit, it's his intellect combined with his savagery. Marcus thinks this kind of strategic aggression has effectively been bred right out of Starfleet. He's concerned about the active aggressions of the Klingons and thinks the Federation can only counter with benign diplomats and ships of exploration. He's after a warrior brain.

Even so, it beggers belief that Khan could come up to speed with modern technology enough to be useful -- but that was an attribute posited in "Space Seed". Khan awoke from sleep, ran through the Enterprise's computer banks in a day and then knew enough to take over the entire ship. Imagine what he could do in 365 days.

Enough with the negative, for now. On to what I thought the movie did well.

1. PIKE-KIRK RELATIONSHIP.
2. KIRK’S DEATH SCENE.
3. OTHER ENTERPRISE CREW.
4. THE MARCUS CLAN.
Completely agreed with all your other insights, especially the character notes that were "fixed" from the '09 outing and the fact that these actors/characters are really starting to forge their own destiny and are growing to be a fitting (and endearing) echo of their original counterparts. And because I think I am primarily a fan of Star Trek because of the characters, overlaid with a positive future and the mythical "hero's journey", I think that's why I came away so satisfied.
gornsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 05:46 AM   #3223
Lowdarzz
Captain

I saw Star Trek Into Darkness yesterday and while it was a better effort than ST09, it was still a retread of old ground and didn't hold my attention for long once it ended. A film I think is particularly good will stay in my conscious thoughts for a time but the moment I left the theater my mind was elsewhere.

Pine gave a better performance this time around. Kudos to Cumberbatch for his performance as well but I found Montalban's more memorable. Of course that could just be the nostalgia factor kicking in. There was nothing truely noteworthy about the performances of any of the other members of the cast. Urban was still spot on but his McCoy got nothing to do but make quips and test the Khan blood macguffin that the audience already knew would work.

The cutting and pasting of scenes from Wrath of Khan took me out of the film completely. Honesty it felt like Harve Bennett, Jack Sowards and Nick Meyer should've gotten some sort of screen credit. Additionally, Pine's Kirk and Quinto's Spock have known each other for less than a year in this continuity and that made it impossible for me to believe in thier emotional goodbye. Kirk and Spock knew each other for over twenty years in TWOK. I buy it there.

While not a great film, it certainly wasn't terrible. The story was standard, the effects were standard, the pacing was standard for a summer movie. I'll give it a C.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 06:06 AM   #3224
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

tmosler wrote: View Post
I am a big fan of star trek and have watched very episode of original series, next generation, ds9, and all the feature films. With that being said I loved it. Without a doubt this movie is now my favorite star trek movie ( sorry wrath of kahn) my family loved it and parts such as the kahn scream which I was holding my breath for didn't seem that bad. in fact the scream only lasted 2 seconds before the cut to another scene so I dont see the big deal. The only part I didnot like was that the villain is khan but I think it worked out good in the end. Also the Kirk death scene was not a copy of the original they added plenty of new dialog and there was only 3 short lines they copied. Lastly the audience greatly enjoyed it and laughed at all the funny parts.
tmosler, I've now seen what I believe is this identical post in at least three threads today, possibly four. That might be considered spamming, and I'd like to ask you not to do it any more - I've got plenty to read, as things are.

Rather than pasting the same post in multiple threads, try picking one thread which will be the best fit for your post and putting it there; if you need to refer to it in others, a link to the original post will suffice.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 08:18 AM   #3225
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Just an observation on some of the comments I've read: I don't know where people keep coming up with this idea of superman Khan wanting to wipe out less perfect humans...the whole eliminate that which is imperfect is Nomad's bailiwick, after all. Khan just was super ambitious and thought his superiority meant his kind was meant to rule.

OldSpock showing up was my big eye-roll moment of the movie. He didn't tell Spock anything that helped.
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote