Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.38%
A 161 21.67%
A- 100 13.46%
B+ 82 11.04%
B 58 7.81%
B- 27 3.63%
C+ 40 5.38%
C 38 5.11%
C- 24 3.23%
D+ 11 1.48%
D 13 1.75%
D- 10 1.35%
F 35 4.71%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20 2013, 02:16 AM   #3196
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

beamMe wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
My wife might be an example. Last night we watched TWOK and TSS back to back (thank you, STID!), and during TWOK she asked if this was after Khan worked with Starfleet...
It's just the basic problem of reboots that fuck with the originals. THAT "confuses the general audience".
No.
If people can keep track of all the reboots/restarts in the comic-book universes, they will have no problem with two versions of Star Trek.
Yeah, the two timelines are different enough that they won't be confused. Now, there are folks who aren't too familiar with Star Trek, and they might be a bit confused (understandable, of course), but most folks should get it okay, or at the least, a little exposition will take care of that.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:17 AM   #3197
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The notion that a reboot like this "confuses the general audience" is nonsense of the tail-wagging-the-dog variety. Very few people in the general audience will be confused because - Shocker! - they've never seen The Wrath Of Khan or given whatever they've heard about it more than a passing thought.

ScottDS wrote: View Post
I think there were ideas from that movie that could've been salvaged and presented in a different context.
No one's interested in salvaging stuff from a twenty five year-old bomb.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:22 AM   #3198
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Squiggy wrote: View Post
If they were gonna steal from a previous film, why not a lesser one? Why not do Star Trek V with Cumberbatch as Sybok and the crew could learn a lesson about worshiping false idols?
Because Star Trek V sucked? Because there was no redeeming feature to save from that movie?
I think there were ideas from that movie that could've been salvaged and presented in a different context.

But some things, like Kirk's "I need my pain!" speech... they couldn't do that because the characters haven't reached that point yet.

And it was a rhetorical question.
STV has the quality of a good TOS episode. If you say you hate STV for it's silliness, plot holes, camp and visual effects, then you surely must hate TOS to death.
All moments between Kirk, Spock and McCoy are pure gold in this.

The scene in which Sybok shows them their pain, and Kirk's "I need my pain" is one of the greatest scenes in the Trek films.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:29 AM   #3199
Belz...
Fleet Captain

If they were gonna steal from a previous film, why not a lesser one? Why not do Star Trek V with Cumberbatch as Sybok and the crew could learn a lesson about worshiping false idols?
Because Star Trek V sucked? Because there was no redeeming feature to save from that movie?
Are you kidding ? It's the most unintentionally funny movie in the franchise. It's also pretty intentionally funny in my view, and the main character interaction works. Otherwise, garbage.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:33 AM   #3200
ScottDS
Captain

But some things, like Kirk's "I need my pain!" speech... they couldn't do that because the characters haven't reached that point yet.

And it was a rhetorical question.
STV has the quality of a good TOS episode. If you say you hate STV for it's silliness, plot holes, camp and visual effects, then you surely must hate TOS to death.
All moments between Kirk, Spock and McCoy are pure gold in this.

The scene in which Sybok shows them their pain, and Kirk's "I need my pain" is one of the greatest scenes in the Trek films.
I have a soft spot for it, especially that scene.

But one could ask the same question about any remake: why remake so many good movies when there are plenty of bad ones (or at least seriously flawed ones) that could be remade?

And again, I was simply thinking out loud.
ScottDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:34 AM   #3201
flemm
Fleet Captain

That is a good scene. The movie as a whole is often laughably bad, though, imo.

In the next movie, somebody else is going to need their pain lol... Maybe Sulu?

McCoy: We have medicine for that.

Sulu: I need my pain.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:37 AM   #3202
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Kirk's "I need my pain" speech is a bombastic embarrassment that makes the character out to be a self-dramatizing adolescent. It's fascinating that some folks seem to identify with it as if it somehow enlarges or enriches the character, when it fact it's of a piece with the nonsensical and ego-pandering "free climbing" scene that introduces Kirk in the movie.
Old May 20 2013, 02:44 AM   #3203
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Kirk's "I need my pain" speech is a bombastic embarrassment that makes the character out to be a self-dramatizing adolescent. It's fascinating that some folks seem to identify with it as if it somehow enlarges or enriches the character, when it fact it's of a piece with the nonsensical and ego-pandering "free climbing" scene that introduces Kirk in the movie.
But I love my Kirk bombastic and adolescent. It's sexy.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:46 AM   #3204
flemm
Fleet Captain

Kirk's "I need my pain" speech is a bombastic embarrassment that makes the character out to be a self-dramatizing adolescent.
I think the scene is truthful in a way that most of the movie is not. It's not necessarily flattering to him, but that's why it stands out.

Basically it exposes a part of the character's personality you might not otherwise see.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:48 AM   #3205
Shanndee
Commodore

Thank you!

This is the one "film" that I refuse to purchase. When friends ask me about the missing number V in my collection, I reply that no fifth movie exists in my reality. The thought of using any of the material from this material makes me shudder!

I happily accept Star Trek Into Darkness as a movie. I hold a tiny (and constantly diminishing) hope for a new series some day, but until that series arrives I appreciate the Star Trek that I have.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:51 AM   #3206
tmosler
Lieutenant Commander

I am a big fan of star trek and have watched very episode of original series, next generation, ds9, and all the feature films. With that being said I loved it. Without a doubt this movie is now my favorite star trek movie ( sorry wrath of kahn) my family loved it and parts such as the kahn scream which I was holding my breath for didn't seem that bad. in fact the scream only lasted 2 seconds before the cut to another scene so I dont see the big deal. The only part I didnot like was that the villain is khan but I think it worked out good in the end. Also the Kirk death scene was not a copy of the original they added plenty of new dialog and there was only 3 short lines they copied. Lastly the audience greatly enjoyed it and laughed at all the funny parts.
tmosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:59 AM   #3207
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Shandee my review of V as patched together from my fangirling. I post it here to try and convert you

I thought it was pretty exciting, great pace, very camp in parts but it felt like TRIBUTE CAMP, the camp of love.

The Kirk, Spock, McCoy bonding was intense. In a good way. McCoy's line, "I liked him better when he was dead." has me every time. BEST Big Three scenes in all the movies.

It has a GREAT opening sequence. I think the whole movie is one big bag of excellent candy. Eye candy, mind candy, laugh candy, heart candy.. and it's a mystery to me why so many think it terrible.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 03:09 AM   #3208
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Yep. I love STV too.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 03:09 AM   #3209
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Not so! I offer: Naked dancing Uhura ... ft. Zoe Seldana.

Old May 20 2013, 03:13 AM   #3210
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Because V is a terrible movie.