Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.38%
A 161 21.67%
A- 100 13.46%
B+ 82 11.04%
B 58 7.81%
B- 27 3.63%
C+ 40 5.38%
C 38 5.11%
C- 24 3.23%
D+ 11 1.48%
D 13 1.75%
D- 10 1.35%
F 35 4.71%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20 2013, 12:51 AM   #3181
section9
Commander

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Just back from seeing the film. Gave it an A-.

I think it had a decent story. They didn't give enough of a reason why Khan was a Sahib Brit (they could have put in a bit about Section 31 doing Facial and Voice Reconstruction surgery on him while he was under to give him a completely new identity in the 23rd Century). So Khan's backstory isn't quite laid out, and his need for revenge isn't quite as compelling as the Montalban's Khan was against Kirk Prime.

It may have been in an objective sense, but that needs to be laid out for the audience in dialogue, and it really wasn't. Weak Sauce.

Transwarp beaming? Why have Starfleet?

I was very satisfied with the philosophical case that was being made in the film against the militarization of Starfleet and the argument against preemptive war. The writers did do a good job implying that, with the destruction of Vulcan, the War Party appears on the ascendance in the Federation.
Old May 20 2013, 12:53 AM   #3182
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

Nightowl posted this on the one year gap thread and i wanted you all to think about it.

he said
I gotta admit, when they mentioned the one year gap (bringing us to mid-2260), and then Kirk/Carol had their little exchange on the bridge about "being part of the family/Nice to have a family," I was fully expecting the camera to pan down to reveal she was pregnant..
since we all know that david was born in 2261 according to memory alpha, is there a remote possibilty that this could be true?
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:57 AM   #3183
Belz...
Fleet Captain

mattman8907 wrote: View Post
since we all know that david was born in 2261 according to memory alpha, is there a remote possibilty that this could be true?
It's a new timeline. All bets are off, methinks.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:57 AM   #3184
flemm
Fleet Captain

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Frankly, the show can use a second woman other than some random walk-on like Rand or Chapel.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I do like all the characters, but too many dudes
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 01:26 AM   #3185
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Saw it today and enjoyed it. Most of it was actually considerably better than I was expecting.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 01:29 AM   #3186
section9
Commander

Part of the problem? Too long between films.

Like I said in another thread: this should have come out last year.

Cumberbatch was superb, but there's not enough establishment of his motivation, nor of why he is "Khan From Harrow".
Old May 20 2013, 01:30 AM   #3187
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Last year ? If this were a Japanese franchise, we'd be up to 5 films by now.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 01:41 AM   #3188
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Commander Sitsoddly chimes in:

Jonathan Frakes @jonathansfrakes wrote: View Post
#startrekintothedarkness is a BIG , beautiful film. I felt proud and envious. Kudos to the cast and crew especially JJ @bad_robot
Old May 20 2013, 01:48 AM   #3189
ScottDS
Captain

Just got back from the film and my thoughts aren't quite organized...

On the plus side, man did this movie look beautiful!! I'm a 3-D skeptic but, aside from maybe one or two shots, I thought it was well done. And I liked a lot of the character interactions and humor - not nearly as bad as the worst reviews made it out to be.

On the down side, the writing.

What was the point of rebooting the franchise if they were just gonna bring Khan out again? A Khan who acts nothing like Khan, with none of the nuance, or romance, or charisma. (And I say this as a Cumberbatch fan.) Why didn't Kirk and Co. look him up in the library computer? (At least tell us if the records were wiped out by Section 31.)

And I'm sorry but the filmmakers can't use "It's an alternate universe!" as an excuse every time. Someone else pointed this out: while the timeline is used to set up certain plot elements, it's not like it's driving the characters and informing their decisions. "I wonder what my counterpart would do in this situation."

If they were gonna steal from a previous film, why not a lesser one? Why not do Star Trek V with Cumberbatch as Sybok and the crew could learn a lesson about worshiping false idols? I have to believe there was at least one superior idea that these guys came up with that, for one reason or another, was stuffed in a drawer.

There was no reason the villain had to be Khan and no reason for Carol Marcus to be in the film. They could've been anyone. I would've been happier if Cumberbatch had been one of Khan's men and maybe the real Khan would be revealed at the end, setting up the next movie.

I was entertained but shouldn't Trek aim for something higher than low-hanging fruit? And the theme is undercut by the plot: Khan should get a trial... but he doesn't! And since technically, this is the "second" movie, things like Kirk's death/rebirth and Spock's "KHAN!"... these guys didn't earn it yet.

Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park sums it up best:

"...it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox..."
ScottDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 01:53 AM   #3190
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

ScottDS wrote: View Post
If they were gonna steal from a previous film, why not a lesser one? Why not do Star Trek V with Cumberbatch as Sybok and the crew could learn a lesson about worshiping false idols?
Because Star Trek V sucked? Because there was no redeeming feature to save from that movie?
Old May 20 2013, 02:01 AM   #3191
beamMe
Fleet Captain

I was entertained but ...
... if I wanted to see attractive people do interesting...

You get the point.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:02 AM   #3192
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
My wife might be an example. Last night we watched TWOK and TSS back to back (thank you, STID!), and during TWOK she asked if this was after Khan worked with Starfleet...
It's just the basic problem of reboots that fuck with the originals. THAT "confuses the general audience".
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:09 AM   #3193
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I'd love to see Jonathan Frakes direct another Star Trek movie, eventually. I think he did a bang-up job with First Contact, and the best he could with Insurrection. I still want J.J. to direct the third installment, though.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:09 AM   #3194
beamMe
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
My wife might be an example. Last night we watched TWOK and TSS back to back (thank you, STID!), and during TWOK she asked if this was after Khan worked with Starfleet...
It's just the basic problem of reboots that fuck with the originals. THAT "confuses the general audience".
No.
If people can keep track of all the reboots/restarts in the comic-book universes, they will have no problem with two versions of Star Trek.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:15 AM   #3195
ScottDS
Captain

Squiggy wrote: View Post
If they were gonna steal from a previous film, why not a lesser one? Why not do Star Trek V with Cumberbatch as Sybok and the crew could learn a lesson about worshiping false idols?
Because Star Trek V sucked? Because there was no redeeming feature to save from that movie?
I think there were ideas from that movie that could've been salvaged and presented in a different context.

But some things, like Kirk's "I need my pain!" speech... they couldn't do that because the characters haven't reached that point yet.

And it was a rhetorical question.
ScottDS is offline   Reply With Quote