Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 139 19.36%
A 157 21.87%
A- 98 13.65%
B+ 78 10.86%
B 58 8.08%
B- 27 3.76%
C+ 38 5.29%
C 37 5.15%
C- 23 3.20%
D+ 11 1.53%
D 13 1.81%
D- 6 0.84%
F 33 4.60%
Voters: 718. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 19 2013, 01:34 AM   #2986
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
Why hide his people in torpedoes when he knows Marcus wants a war? Doesn't seem like a safe place to me.
He didn't know they were in torpedoes until Kirk told him the exact number. From that, Khan deduced what, or who, was inside of them.

Rainbow Dash Buys A Ford Pinto, A Short Story by LotusTeaDragon
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 01:36 AM   #2987
davejames
Vice Admiral

Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
Ubik wrote: View Post
When someone says, "It doesn't feel like Star Trek," what they mean is, "It doesn't feel like GOOD Star Trek," which is a perfectly valid statement.
No, what the mean is, "It doesn't feel like the Star Trek I'm used to and I don't like it."
And there is nothing wrong with that. After all many people who grew up with Star Wars felt like Lucas raped their childhood with the prequels.
Agreed. It's just a figure of speech people. Obviously we realize that this IS Star Trek, because it's got the freakin name in the title and it's an official Paramount movie.

But just like many people (including me) felt the SW prequels didn't feel like the Star Wars we knew and loved, this movie didn't really feel like Star Trek to many of us.

It felt more like just another mindless, over the top action movie... that just happened to have phasers, Klingons, and giant starships in it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 01:37 AM   #2988
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

CommanderRaytas wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
throwback wrote: View Post
For a man consigned to that fate, he seemed to be content, if his smile was an indication of his feelings.
People look like that when their dead!

Seriously. WHERE is the trial?! And you know if you are gonna take a while to get the trial together (since all the witnesses are dead) you put a man in prison while you wait. So he can confer with is lawyers.

What sort of horror filled Federation is this.. OH A BAD MAN, FREEZE HIM!!
It does make him more of a woobie, though, which is good for fangirls and fanfiction writers everywhere.
I had to look up woobie. Are you actually saying Khan is a woobie? Okay I can see there is a woobie spillover from Sherlock but not having enamored myself with that character I'm woobie-less for this man.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 01:39 AM   #2989
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Okay, I just saw the film Friday. It's a typical big dumb Hollywood action film, but that's all I expected so I can't say I was disappointed. It's like Transformers; check your brain at the door and just have fun. The theater wasn't too full, but we went pretty early.

Things I liked:

*It was better than the last film.

*Benedict Cumberbatch. Actually, he's mostly the reason I went to see the film. It was a bit disappointing he didn't say most of his cool lines from the trailers, but whatever. I thought he was a good Khan. No one can top Montalban, but Cumberbatch wasn't trying to, he just did his own thing and it worked, I think. Just as no one can top Jack Nicholson as the joker, but you can have a guy like Heath Ledger play the Joker his own way so that people don't even compare the two.

About halfway through the film, I came to the realization that Cumberbatch should have been cast as Spock. After two films, I still just can't see Zachary Quinto as Spock. He looks a lot like a young Nimoy, they've got him in the Beatles hair, but it just doesn't work for me. Quinto doesn't do subtle very well. His passive-aggressive stuff is over-the-top. All Nimoy had to do was stand there with a twinkle in his eye. Cumberbatch could have handled the subtleties better, I think. They could have given him pointy ears but otherwise kept his look as Khan. There was mystique to Spock in TOS Quinto just doesn't capture but Cumberbatch could have.

Anyway... the point is I liked Cumberbatch.

*The effects.

*The Klingons. Although I wouldn't have minded if they'd made them even look fiercer, more alien.

*The Praxis shout out.

*The mirror "Wrath of Khan" stuff. Or, at least, I liked the idea. I'm not sure it was all that well executed.

*Nimoy. Yes, it was an almost pointless cameo, but... well, it's Nimoy. The woman sitting behind me summed up my feeling. As soon as Nimoy's face appeared on the viewscreen, I heard behind me, "Yay!"

Things I didn't like:

*Quinto's Spock.

*The God-awful Orci/Kurtzman dialog.

*More a criticism of all modern action films -- I hate how they're structured around set pieces. A movie written as so many set pieces makes for sort of a -- for want of a better word -- flat movie experience. Build up, action, come down; build up, action, come down; build up, action, come down. Action film producers don't seem to even think in classic screenplay structure anymore. You don't have the same slow build up to plot points, the peaks and valleys which draw you into the story and hold you. Now, movies are often begun with ideas for cool set pieces before there's even a story. It's a trend I don't like.

I took my dad, and he had a good time, and Cumberbatch was good, and it's always nice to see the Enterprise on the big screen, so overall it was fun time. But I don't plan to ever watch it again on DVD or BD.
Old May 19 2013, 01:42 AM   #2990
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Wow. Call me dumb, but I've never tried clicking on the numbers in an online TrekBBS poll before. Now I can see which members of the board voted which way!

And hey, thumbtack! After all your misgivings of a few weeks ago, you loved the film enough to give it an A+. I'm thrilled you got there and that the trip was worthwhile.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 01:42 AM   #2991
ConRefit79
Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Did you want to see it in real time, stretched over about six hours?

I assumed the 72 were intended to soft-land, just like Spock's tube in ST III, and so that Khan's people could infiltrate the Klingons from the ground?

And then Kronos would be Khan's new colony world. Or so Marcus thought he'd led Khan to believe.
Well, at least have them head to Earth under power and loose power closer and be pulled down.

I thought Khan said he assumed his people were dead when he got caught trying to hide them so he fled and later attacked SF. So that begs the question if he knows Marcus is itching for a war and wants untracable weapons, why hide your people in the same weapons Marcus is likely to use in a preemptive strike?
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 01:50 AM   #2992
Iamnotspock
Captain

Ubik wrote: View Post
When someone says, "It doesn't feel like Star Trek," what they mean is, "It doesn't feel like GOOD Star Trek," which is a perfectly valid statement.
No, what the mean is, "It doesn't feel like the Star Trek I'm used to and I don't like it."
And there is nothing wrong with that. After all many people who grew up with Star Wars felt like Lucas raped their childhood with the prequels.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, but the two aren't the same thing. As for the SW comparison, anyone who feels like Lucas "raped () their childhood with the prequels" perhaps needs to seriously cultivate a greater sense of perspective.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 01:54 AM   #2993
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Well, we're going to have to agree to disagree. For me this ends up like the same stupid Hobus super nova, which travels faster than light, plot device from the last film.
The Immunity Syndrome had a space amoeba that had to be traveling at warp in order to eat multiple star systems over a few days. Obsession has a cloud that traveled at warp and there are plenty of other times that objects in Trek have moved far faster than they should be.

So it might be time to unclench...
Old May 19 2013, 01:55 AM   #2994
stoneroses
Rear Admiral

I loved it. As watched seat 31, row BB screen 1 empire leicester square.

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 01:57 AM   #2995
ConRefit79
Captain

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, but the two aren't the same thing. As for the SW comparison, anyone who feels like Lucas "raped () their childhood with the prequels" perhaps needs to seriously cultivate a greater sense of perspective.
Well, I have no way of knowing if you saw episodes 4 - 6 when they were first released, but we had a long long long time to wait. So you can imagine how much time we had to imagine what more Star Wars would be like. And then it didn't live up to our expectations. Don't get me wrong, there are some very cool aspects to the prequels.
Old May 19 2013, 02:01 AM   #2996
ConRefit79
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post

Well, we're going to have to agree to disagree. For me this ends up like the same stupid Hobus super nova, which travels faster than light, plot device from the last film.
The Immunity Syndrome had a space amoeba that had to be traveling at warp in order to eat multiple star systems over a few days. Obsession has a cloud that traveled at warp and there are plenty of other times that objects in Trek have moved far faster than they should be.

So it might be time to unclench...
But those are fictional phenomena. A Super Nova is a known quantity. Now I understand they've retconned it to make since but that was not in the film. And while most people don't know about Super Nova's, I do. And as you'll see in previous posts my distaste for nuTrek is more deeper than the contrived plot devices they use to move the story.
Old May 19 2013, 02:01 AM   #2997
teacake
Admiral

Well, I have no way of knowing if you saw episodes 4 - 6 when they were first released, but we had a long long long time to wait. So you can imagine how much time we had to imagine what more Star Wars would be like. And then it didn't live up to our expectations. Don't get me wrong, there are some very cool aspects to the prequels.
Who is "we"? There are plenty of people who watched the OT when it came out and loved the prequels. If ROTJ came out today people would think it was godawful.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 19 2013, 02:02 AM   #2998
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

stoneroses wrote: View Post
I loved it. As watched seat 31, row BB screen 1 empire leicester square.
Awww, I'm recently home from the UK. Loved that theatre! Jealous!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 02:05 AM   #2999
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I noticed my local JBHiFi has created a huge stand in the middle of the floor with all the Trek boxed sets prominently displayed, and all their DVD and BluRay shelves that had huge gaps in their collections have now been fully replenished and all versions of all Trek are now fully back in stock -- in high numbers.
gornsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 02:06 AM   #3000
teacake
Admiral

gornsky wrote: View Post
I noticed by local JBHiFi has created a huge stand in the middle of the floor with all the Trek boxed sets prominently displayed, and all their DVD and BluRay shelves that had huge gaps in their collections have now been fully replenished and all versions of all Trek are now fully back in stock -- in high numbers.
YAY!!!!! That makes me happy.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne