Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.33%
A 161 21.61%
A- 100 13.42%
B+ 82 11.01%
B 58 7.79%
B- 27 3.62%
C+ 40 5.37%
C 38 5.10%
C- 25 3.36%
D+ 11 1.48%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.83%
Voters: 745. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18 2013, 06:44 AM   #2791
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
DigificWriter wrote: View Post
secret' for most of the film's production/post-production, but one thing I wasn't expecting at all was to see the film combine the classic Kahn stories 'Space Seed' and 'The Wrath of Kahn' with elements of the story from Star Trek Insurrection
What are the elements from Star Trek Insurrection?
Both STI and STiD feature a rogue Starfleet Admiral with connections to Section 31 as an antagonist, although, in STI, the connection isn't actually made apparent the way it is in STiD.
Uh, Dougherty isn't rogue in STI. He's acting on orders from the Federation Council. Also, if he's connected w/ S31, the movie makes absolutely no mention or indication of it.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:44 AM   #2792
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Blue_Trek wrote: View Post
Also seat belts for when the action gets intense, in JJ's Trek universe, the Captain and the senior crew will die strapped to there chairs at there posts, not blown or thrown across the bridge to make things look more dramatically dire.
I like it, it's logical
It's practical. If Sulu is down by the viewscreen, how can he pilot the ship?
Old May 18 2013, 06:46 AM   #2793
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Philly B, it might help if you read the thread before posting, because I explained what elements STiD borrows from Insurrection right before you posted. Both STI and STiD feature a rogue Starfleet Admiral with connections to Section 31 as an antagonist. They also share the common element/theme of the protagonists having to blatantly defy Starfleet rules and regs in order to defeat said rogue Admiral.

Xaios, I acknowledged that Dougherty's connections to Section 31 weren't mentioned/made clear in the film itself.

As to your second point, he might've had tacit permission to carry out the Ba'Ku relocation mission, but he was in fact acting as a rogue operative by actively keeping information from the Federation Council.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:47 AM   #2794
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

By the end of this coming week I'm sure I will have watched STID more times than Insurrection

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:50 AM   #2795
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

By the end of this coming week I'm sure I will have watched STID more times than Insurrection
I've seen Insurrection, since it's one my favorites, about 50 times. I don't think I have that kind of money. But more power to you.
Old May 18 2013, 06:52 AM   #2796
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Eh, I was indifferent towards Insurrection for a long time. Then I watched a review of it by Linkara and The Nostalgia Critic. It is now my least favorite Trek film. =\

Link, for anyone interested: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid...9-insurrection
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:53 AM   #2797
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
I know this comes off as self-important and like I think I'm the smartest kid in the class. I'm sure I've ticked off a few people reading this. I just haven't seen much discussion about the meat that makes a movie.
What would qualify for you as discussion about "the meat that makes a movie?" Certainly I feel as if I've been talking about nothing else for 4 weeks.

Last edited by M'Sharak; May 18 2013 at 08:05 AM. Reason: to correct quote attribution
gornsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:54 AM   #2798
indranee
Vice Admiral

Shanndee wrote: View Post
Just got home from my first viewing. I had a lot of fun! I have a few quibbles...but they are minor and I got over them quickly. I'm a little tired, and it appears that I have over 2000 posts to catch up on. Oy!

I'll join the conversation properly later!

A-
THIS.

Except.... this: A.

I just saw it tonight. I'll do a review later, 1) when I've had more time to digest it and, 2) once I've seen it at least one more time.

Just briefly, for me, Quinto's "Khaaaaan!!" brought it down a peg. Other than that, I was glued to my seat.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:54 AM   #2799
teacake
Admiral

Xaios wrote: View Post
Eh, I was indifferent towards Insurrection for a long time. Then I watched a review of it by Linkara and The Nostalgia Critic. It is now my least favorite Trek film. =\

Link, for anyone interested: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid...9-insurrection

I think INS makes a decent enough double episode.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 06:56 AM   #2800
teacake
Admiral

gornsky wrote: View Post
What would qualify for you as discussion about "the meat that makes a movie?" Certainly I feel as if I've been talking about nothing else for 4 weeks.
It's FAST FOOD baby!!! Cuz, 'splosions.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 07:00 AM   #2801
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Xaios wrote: View Post
Word of mouth is going to win people over to this movie. A friend of mine who is the most consummate film buff I know, and not a Trekkie in the least, just posted this on his Facebook:

And thus, the latest Star Trek is, undeniably, the best film I've seen of 2013 so far. It's loud, brash, satisfying, exhilarating, and epic, from start to end, and it has a capable antagonist worthy of loathe and astonishment. On par, if not better, than the original, and highly recommended to anyone with working eyes and ears.
I got an email from a friend at work last night wanting to know if I wanted to go and see the movie again on Sunday. She was looking for some company. She is a theatre buff and spends most of her vacation time in either New York or London seeing shows. Everyone knows I'm a bit of a Trekkie, but I would have thought this movie was completely outside her preferences.

We had a last minute spare ticket at our IMAX screening and she took it up. But it completely floored me that out of the blue, she is wanting to go and see it AGAIN!
gornsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 07:02 AM   #2802
teacake
Admiral

Speaking of butts, you know what was incredibly hot in this movie? The wetsuits. OMG.

There were like, bulges.

And oddly they just looked a lot less gratuitous (because they had a purpose in themselves?) than the catsuits on T'Pol and 7 people complain about. I think they came across thicker too. Absolutely fantastic costumes and they all looked great in them.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 07:03 AM   #2803
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

i have this habit of seeing a good movie more than once. i saw all three batman movies more than once. the dark knight i think i saw three times.
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 07:05 AM   #2804
teacake
Admiral

My record is AOTC which I saw 9 times. I would have seen ST:XI a lot more than the 5 times I went but circumstances kept making it impossible, something I regret.

(I freaking hated The Dark Knight and if I could get a refund of the hours I spent watching it I would.)

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 07:08 AM   #2805
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

My record is AOTC which I saw 9 times. I would have seen ST:XI a lot more than the 5 times I went but circumstances kept making it impossible, something I regret.

(I freaking hated The Dark Knight and if I could get a refund of the hours I spent watching it I would.)
i saw all three star wars prequel movies twice. Revenge of the Sith i wish i saw more times.
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote