A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 141 19.11%
A 160 21.68%
A- 99 13.41%
B+ 82 11.11%
B 58 7.86%
B- 27 3.66%
C+ 40 5.42%
C 38 5.15%
C- 24 3.25%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.36%
F 35 4.74%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16 2013, 05:27 PM   #2281
hamudm
Rear Admiral

View hamudm's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Matchstick wrote: View Post

But... we don't get it. Instead, we get a I-can't-believe-they're-going-there tensionless riff on the other iconic part of "Wrath"'s climax. (To paraphrase Sisko in "Paradise Lost," "You're stealing the WRONG PARTS, Admiral!")
It's interesting you mention Paradise Lost. The story to STID had the foundations of a great Paradise Lost-esque story r.e. conspiracy within the Federation. To me, it felt more like a story like this and that the Khan angle was just shoehorned in there for the sake of having a visible villain. I swear, take Khan out of the story, make a few minor changes and we would have had a much better movie along the lines of Paradise Lost and ST: TUC.

Did anyone else get a
Old May 16 2013, 05:30 PM   #2282
flemm
Fleet Captain

hamudm wrote: View Post
I'm honestly not trying to be a dick here and I am glad everyone seems to be enjoying the movie... But is EVERYONE ON DRUGS?!
Not right at the moment

But, while I had a good time, I wish I could be more enthusiastic than I really can. I'd like to see the same cast get better material. Keep the visuals and the action sequences, too.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:30 PM   #2283
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

No.

ST:TUC is a mediocre movie at best, and certainly not a tenth of what this film is. That it's a favorite with so many Trek fans is one more good reason for the studio to have stopped pandering to the faithful so much and embrace the possibility of real success.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:31 PM   #2284
RAMA
Vice Admiral

LATimes chimes in with a good review:

So many things are done right that even with the bombast, "Into Darkness" is the best of this summer's biggies thus far. It's a great deal of brash fun, and it should satisfy all those basic Trekkie cravings.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7503821.story

30 more reviews since last night, only TWO negative. Its at 87% fresh, with 144 reviews.
Old May 16 2013, 05:34 PM   #2285
mos6507
Captain

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post
The critics are not universally praising this thing.

Wired magazine just chimed in.
I love how you people find the few reviews that didn't fully enjoy the movie and go SEEE SEE?!! WE'RE RIGHT! It's hilarious.

Are you reading the same thread I am? It's not just reviewers. Plenty of rank and file posters are reporting in now to say they didn't like the movie. And while we're at it, would you like to address any of the legitimate complaints the Wired review had with it? That reviewer actually said he liked the 2009 film, which most anti-JJ people here didn't. So it's hard to accuse the guy of having an axe to grind.
Old May 16 2013, 05:36 PM   #2286
flemm
Fleet Captain

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
ST:TUC is a mediocre movie at best, and certainly not a tenth of what this film is. That it's a favorite with so many Trek fans is one more good reason for the studio to have stopped pandering to the faithful so much and embrace the possibility of real success.
There's a lot of "pandering" to established fans in the movie, I'm not sure what you mean.

The movie has a lot of strong points. It's possible to recognize that and still dislike/criticize parts of it. Also, some people might just dislike it, it's not some sort of masterpiece.

hamudm wrote: View Post
It's interesting you mention Paradise Lost. The story to STID had the foundations of a great Paradise Lost-esque story r.e. conspiracy within the Federation.
Yes, part of the story is basically lifted from that episode, though it's not really developed very well. But Marcus is supposed to be exploiting/responding to the Klingon threat in much the same way the Changeling threat functions in Paradise Lost. And he awakens/recruits Khan with that in mind at some point.
Old May 16 2013, 05:37 PM   #2287
hamudm
Rear Admiral

View hamudm's Twitter Profile

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
No.

This is one of those sarcastic posts right?
Old May 16 2013, 05:42 PM   #2288
Seska
Lieutenant

Have only been waiting to see Star Trek 12 since I was wee, and just saw it yesterday at the fan sneaks.

I grade it a solid A. Renegade admiral, decaying orbit, loss of gravity, KHAAAAN, Section 31, etc., etc., really made this flick RADIMUS PRIME. Extra glad the next one isn't going to be Star Trek 13: The Search for NuKirk. If you don't dig this movie, you must really HATE the Trek.

I would have rated it higher, but for ripping off so many lines and bits of story from Trek of the past, and because doing away with Christine Chapel is just as jacked up as blowing up Vulcan or killing Amanda Grayson.
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:45 PM   #2289
Duct
Cadet

In ST09 New Kirk & Old Spock meet. Old Spock helps New Kirk.

In this film they should have had New Spock & Old Kirk meet. Old Kirk should have been the one that popped up on the monitor and told him about Khan. I thought I read somewhere that they wanted a Shatner cameo in this movie but they couldn’t find a legit way to shoe horn him in. Seems like this would have been as good a reason as any. I thought the Nimoy scene felt kind of shoe horned in.

Great movie though. Loved it minus a few cheesy parts.
Duct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:57 PM   #2290
Tom Servo
Commodore

The critics are not universally praising this thing.

Wired magazine just chimed in.
I love how you people find the few reviews that didn't fully enjoy the movie and go SEEE SEE?!! WE'RE RIGHT! It's hilarious.

Are you reading the same thread I am? It's not just reviewers. Plenty of rank and file posters are reporting in now to say they didn't like the movie. And while we're at it, would you like to address any of the legitimate complaints the Wired review had with it? That reviewer actually said he liked the 2009 film, which most anti-JJ people here didn't. So it's hard to accuse the guy of having an axe to grind.
Well judging from the Rotten Tomatoes reviews, and the polling here, it seems that the majority of people liked it a lot. And some people who didn't love the 2009 film, really liked this one. So it goes both ways.

What was the point of that post? Seriously, especially with the line of it's not getting universal praise. Well I'd say that 87%-90% of critics enjoying it is pretty damn good. You didn't like the 2009 film, and you're probably not gonna like this one, so you attach yourself to every reviewer that says they didn't like it as if to justify your opinion. It's YOUR opinion, and yours alone, and its fine to have, but stop trying to project it like its going to be an overall consensus of this film, because according to the statistics, you're in the minority. It's just being a turd in the punchbowl, especially when you haven't seen the film yet and are just going off of what other people have said.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:59 PM   #2291
ConRefit79
Captain

"If you have ADD and love lens flaring then Star Trek Into Decadence is for you."
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 06:02 PM   #2292
Anika Hanson
Captain

I enjoyed it. I'm not going to nitpick it because I accept JJ Abram's version of Star Trek because:

The franchise needs a reboot if it is to continue

These films are not aimed at old Trek fans. They want a new audience because they want to make money. So the brain dead action movie approach is right

The success of these films is vital to any future TV series/films of 'prime trek'

Once I was able to understand this, I was able to accept Nu Star Trek and enjoy it for what it is. It's not the Star Trek I grew up with and love. In my mind it's a different Star Trek. 'My' star trek is still out there and will live on in part becuase of this Nu Trek. It's still alive in the prime books and I live in hope that we will see another TV series or movie.
Old May 16 2013, 06:10 PM   #2293
flemm
Fleet Captain

What was the point of that post?
For all movies of this type you see this sort of back and forth. On comic book movie sites, also, for example. People become invested in the movie's success or failure, critical reception, etc. So then it becomes almost like rooting for or against a sports team, or something along those lines.

I mean, whatever. It's just part of how fandom works, I guess, especially now that discussion forums like this are so prevalent, and fans have strong opinions about what they want to see in these established franchises.
Old May 16 2013, 06:13 PM   #2294
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

One thing I will give the movie credit for, it's that I watched the film in 3D on the XD (Cinemark) screen and wasn't bothered by the Lens Flare. It felt more like a subdued Super 8 type lens flare rather than Star Trek 2009 Lens Flare. That was much appreciated.
Old May 16 2013, 06:17 PM   #2295
Richard III
Ensign

Question - when they arrive at Kronos we can see what appears to be an exploded moon in close proximity. Is this a result of:

a) Nero's attack against the Klingons in ST09;

b) Overmining, caused by fear in the wake of Vulcan's destruction, causing Praxis' environment disaster to come 30 years early;

c) Canon cock ups by the writers causing Praxis' environment disaster to come 30 years early.
Richard III is offline   Reply With Quote