Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.25%
A 161 21.52%
A- 101 13.50%
B+ 83 11.10%
B 58 7.75%
B- 27 3.61%
C+ 40 5.35%
C 38 5.08%
C- 25 3.34%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 37 4.95%
Voters: 748. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 24 2013, 08:42 AM   #151
Roshi's bone
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roshi's bone
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Marla McGivers was just a shitty historian, that's it.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Roshi's bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:05 AM   #152
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Marla McGivers was just a shitty historian, that's it.
Best explanation I've heard so far!!
Old April 24 2013, 10:04 AM   #153
aeriolewinters
Lieutenant

Here's a good speculation about Khan's 'magic blood'

What if it goes zany and makes kirk age faster?
aeriolewinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 10:42 AM   #154
Sigokat
Commander

I see alot of the spoilers over at IMDB have been taken down or edited. I'm pretty sure they were probably true, but guess that poster was getting to much hassle.

I was at the Star Trek '09 premiere at Camp Arifjan, Kuwait. There was a question and answer session afterwards and this is when I met Quinto and Urban (got photos with them as well...two really cool guys).

Anyways, JJ never once said anything about not revealing any spoilers to us at that premiere. But maybe this one has gotten so much hype over the last year or so, he is asking people not to spoil it. I don't know, I only know what was (or wasn't said) in Kuwait in 2009.

On a side note about spoilers, I was thinking of asking JJ how LOST would end durig the questions/answers session, but didn't because I knew he wouldn't say anyways.
Old April 24 2013, 11:04 AM   #155
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
But I swear I will laugh out loud in the movie theater if Mr. Lilywhite utters the dialogue "I am Khan Noonien Singh!" It's so silly it approaches Toby Stephens-as-a-previous-Korean-guy territory from Die Another Day.
Since Khan Prime is a genetic construct, surely his skin can be whatever colour his designers wanted? And ST II canonically shows that Khan's melanin goes quite pale when he's out of the direct sunlight, so if John Harrison has spent enough time in England to gain an English accent, he's also in the right place to not get a tan.

By the way,

aeriolewinters wrote: View Post
What if it goes zany and makes kirk age faster?
Just get him off Genesis. Oh.

Sigokat wrote: View Post
But maybe this one has gotten so much hype over the last year or so, he is asking people not to spoil it. I don't know, I only know what was (or wasn't said) in Kuwait in 2009.
Well, I was there last night. JJ didn't swear us to secrecy, but he did say that the mysteries were part of the fun and that we could help out by not spilling them all. It was a great feeling, sitting there in the cinema, still not sure when and if and how The Big Reveal was going to happen.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 11:14 AM   #156
Therin of Andor
Admiral

StarMan wrote: View Post
It's a nice touch utilizing Section 31. I wouldn't have thought they would bother to be honest.
An easter egg they planted in the IDW comic.

ROBE wrote: View Post
Does the movie mention Section 31 altering Khan's appearance?
Just living in London will do that.
Old April 24 2013, 11:36 AM   #157
Sigokat
Commander

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Well, I was there last night. JJ didn't swear us to secrecy, but he did say that the mysteries were part of the fun and that we could help out by not spilling them all. It was a great feeling, sitting there in the cinema, still not sure when and if and how The Big Reveal was going to happen.
I wasn't trying to say that he didn't swear you all to secrey or that he didn't ask you guys not to spill any information, just that in 2009 he didn't say anything like that. I figure this movie was much more anticipated than the original and since this one does have more spoiler-ish information then it would make sense he would ask that.

In truth, at the 2009 premiere he didn't talk much at all. People were more interested in talking to the actors than to JJ. It almost seemed like JJ didn't really want to be there (have seen that with other celeberties at USO events in Iraq) but the rest of the actors (Cho and Pegg where not there) seemed to really enjoying interacting with us Soldiers that were there.
Old April 24 2013, 11:39 AM   #158
Therin of Andor
Admiral

fascinoma wrote: View Post
I have observed that for the entire history of Star Trek films, there are always die hard Trekkers who can't be pleased.

What JJ has done is pretty monumental in that he's made the mythology accessible to people beyond the core fandom (people of my generation and your generation).
Totally agree. The red carpet last night was lined with many young people, aged 15-30 or so, all cheering wildly for Pine, Quinto and Urban.

I found fandom in 1980, as a fresh young 21-year-old. I often felt like the only fan in the room who'd loved ST:TMP. I went back through back issues of our club's newsletter and found venomous comments about Filmation's TAS, ST:TMP and Roddenberry's numerous attempts to get "ST: Phase II" afloat.

In following years, I saw fans reject ST II outright. (And even Roddenberry express his displeasure.) I saw fans who hated ST IV. I knew fans who refused to sample TNG. And even I found ST V rather unpalatable, but still a hoot to lampoon.

Funnily enough, when the next incarnation of Trek comes along, people tend to find the second-to-last one more tolerable. You don't see as much hatred for ST:TMP or "Enterprise" these days.
Old April 24 2013, 11:49 AM   #159
throwback
Captain

When I am already thinking of ways that this film can be improved, that is for me not a good sign.

I think the writers for this film had a good beginning, which came from the comics. In one the comics, Captain Kirk investigates the disappearance of the Archon, and, in the process, gets the interest and attention of Section 31. Pike is tasked with keeping Kirk in line.

So, why not use this scenario for the film? Captain Kirk does some exploration, which leads to a confrontation with Section 31, who use the Augments to shut down the investigation, and, in the process, the Captain aligns with the Augments on a mutual interest to take on Section 31. In the process of the film, we see Kirk making the crew a family.

One of my favorite battles from the TV series was the battle between the Lakota and the Defiant. I think it would have been fantastic on a larger budget. The Defiant is closer to my idea of what a Section 31 ship would be like, than the Vengeance.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 11:53 AM   #160
marksound
Fleet Captain

Ethnicity has very little to do with geography in modern times, and vice versa. People of all colors, shapes, sizes, etc. come from everywhere with all kinds of different names. Requiring Khan to be a brown skinned man with a certain accent just because he's from a certain part of the world is just a little bit ... what's the word I'm looking for here? ... oh, yeah. Racist.

So there.

And maybe, just maybe, Harrison is not really Khan after all. Maybe he's doing a "Dread Pirate Roberts" on their ass. Gnaw on that for a while.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 12:11 PM   #161
throwback
Captain

A study of DNA can reveal a person's lineage. A study of teeth can reveal where they grew up. A search of the word Sikh on Google generates images of men and women who look nothing like the actor playing Khan. Like it or not, there are physiological differences in the appearance of people that identifies where they are from.

I believe to be true that we don't know for certain that Harrison is Khan because there is no canonical footage of the discovery, retrieval, and manipulation of Khan and his people by the Federation. My options are, do I accept what I am told by Harrison or do I not accept what I am told by Harrison? Is there evidence from the films to support either option? Are we shown Kirk's crew attempting to verify this man's claim? Like I said above, DNA can be used to trace lineage.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 12:55 PM   #162
CTarnak
Ensign

Saw it at Sydney premiere. I thought it was like a slightly weaker version of the '09 movie. I think of it as if they put Wrath of Khan, Nemesis, ST09 and Broken Bow into a blender and said go with it.

It had some fantastic scenes between Kirk and Spock that made the whole thing worthwhile, particularly the nods to Wrath of Khan. The crash into San Fran is spectacular. Benedict steals the show.

My favourite comedy beat from the film was when Kirk explicitly says to Chekov "Now go and put on a red shirt". Could have been incredibly dopey, but it worked for me somehow. Peter Weller has a model of the NX Enterprise on his desk, among other older Enterprises.

The music was fantastic, especially Khan's theme, and they do a great action packed version of Spock Prime's theme during the final chase section in San Fran.

I think it suffered from a lot of the complaints that people had about the latter era of Trek episodes too, namely:
· Reset Button
· Magic DNA
· Convenient Transporter/Warp Drive Failures (every single action sequence)
· Evil Starfleet Admiral TM

Other things that bugged me:
· A round trip from Earth to Kronos (rather than Qo'nos) and back to Earth took 1 day. That's not right is it?
· They refer to the Enterprise's "Aft Nacelle". Huh?
· Getting Khan's blood and keeping him alive is a major plot point, even though McCoy has access to all 72 other super soldiers, who presumably also have magic blood.
· Uhura can speak Klingon fluently when she can't in ST6 (I know, new timeline, whatevs).
· The Klingons have odd external bones or metal in their ridges. For no apparent reason.
· There's some kind of robot/android dude on the bridge with no explanation (he's pretty cool though)

This probably sounds pretty negative, but I did really enjoy the film. Some great action and some really touching scenes. However, there were parts of it that were as clunky as a run of the mill Enterprise episode. I just expected a little more.
CTarnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 12:57 PM   #163
Austin 3:16
Commander

Austin 3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 01:11 PM   #164
section9
Commander

So JJ and Co. were smart enough to leave Cumberbatch alive to come back as the series' Vader. Okay.
Old April 24 2013, 01:14 PM   #165
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

indranee wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
But does he say his name is Khan or Khan Noonien Singh?
He evidently identifies himself as "Khan;" Spock Prime refers to "Khan Noonian Singh."

Which, BTW, is consistent with the way he withheld his full identity in "Space Seed."

I mean, I won't lose sleep over it either but it is disappointing. There are so many Indian actors that are perfect for the badass tyrant role, and we get Captain Britishguy WhiteMan?
Well, he was never positively identified as Indian to begin with. McGivers said "From the northern India area, I'd guess. Probably a Sikh." She was an historian, not an ethnologist. My impression was that he was Mexican.
lol Dennis, yes, a Mexican named Khan. Sure
I got a Japanese friend named Sullivan and a European-American relative named Wu. So?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote