March-April 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Shatner Shares Nimoy Memories
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Retro Review: When It Rains…
By: Michelle on Feb 27

Nimoy Dead At Eighty-Three
By: T'Bonz on Feb 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 17 2014, 01:29 AM   #1
ColeMercury
Lieutenant Commander

Do you think they'll keep making Abramsverse movies after #3?

I'm just thinking about how the rights to Star Trek are split: Paramount has the rights to make new movies, while CBS has the rights to make new TV series. The first two Abramsverse movies have been decent money-makers for Paramount (bringing in $385m on a budget of $150m, and $467m on a budget of $185m), so it's quite likely they'll want to keep making more even past the third one (assuming the third one is similarly successful). But the rights issues mean that the only way they have to make a continuation is to make more movies.

So, do people think it's likely they'll try to bring everyone in the cast back to make a "Star Trek 4" and possibly "Star Trek 5"? Or could they try going in a different direction, making a spinoff film of some kind? Or might they stop at three and "let it rest"?
ColeMercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2014, 01:41 AM   #2
drt
Captain

Re: Do you think they'll keep making Abramsverse movies after #3?

Assuming that ST'16 is a reasonable hit, my guess is they'll make more.

I don't think any of the cast has become a breakout star of such magnitude they couldn't be coaxed back.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2014, 02:05 AM   #3
2takesfrakes
Commodore

"STAR TREK LIVES"

And "live" it does, thanks to J.J. Abrams, Paramount Pictures and General Audiences around the World! Thinking of a trilogy was a good way to contain the aspirations of this new film series, to start with. But once it exceeded even Paramount's wildest expectations, I'm confident that there was little doubt that this STAR TREK would continue. It's just great to see The Original Series characters back in action! And I, for one, expect to see Carol Marcus and James T. Kirk become a lot closer than what THE WRATH of KHAN suggested! Kirk's done well for himself, this time ... I hope that he grabs onto this opportunity with both hands and holds on tight! But that's me, personally. What will actually end up on the screen, I wouldn't hazard a guess ...
Old November 17 2014, 02:17 AM   #4
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

ColeMercury wrote: View Post
I'm just thinking about how the rights to Star Trek are split: Paramount has the rights to make new movies, while CBS has the rights to make new TV series. The first two Abramsverse movies have been decent money-makers for Paramount (bringing in $385m on a budget of $150m, and $467m on a budget of $185m), so it's quite likely they'll want to keep making more even past the third one (assuming the third one is similarly successful). But the rights issues mean that the only way they have to make a continuation is to make more movies.

So, do people think it's likely they'll try to bring everyone in the cast back to make a "Star Trek 4" and possibly "Star Trek 5"? Or could they try going in a different direction, making a spinoff film of some kind? Or might they stop at three and "let it rest"?
IIRC, CBS owns all of Star Trek and licences the movie rights to Paramount. So in theory they could give the license to a different studio,once Paramount's contract is up.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2014, 02:23 AM   #5
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I hope so!
Old November 17 2014, 02:27 AM   #6
ColeMercury
Lieutenant Commander

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
IIRC, CBS owns all of Star Trek and licences the movie rights to Paramount. So in theory they could give the license to a different studio,once Paramount's contract is up.
I'm pretty sure Paramount actually owns the film rights: when Viacom split apart the rights to Star Trek were divided between the two daughter companies.
ColeMercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2014, 02:44 AM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'm pretty sure Paramount actually owns the film rights: when Viacom split apart the rights to Star Trek were divided between the two daughter companies.
I'm not sure. The movies say that Star Trek is a registered trademark/copyright of CBS.
Old November 17 2014, 02:52 AM   #8
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

As long as the movies keep selling, why would they want to reboot the franchise again?

Actors can always be recast . . ..
Old November 17 2014, 03:11 AM   #9
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Well the back of my Star Trek bluray says Copyright 2009 Paramount Pictures Star Trek and related marks and logos are tradmarks of CBS Studios Inc. All rights reserved/
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2014, 03:43 AM   #10
The Wormhole
Admiral

Yeah, the Star Trek franchise is owned by CBS. Theoretically, if they wanted to they could easily hand the film rights over to someone else. I can't think of any good reason why they would want to, but it could be done.

Anyway, I won't be surprised if the Abramsverse is done after the next movie. My understanding is Bad Robot was only interested in doing a trilogy anyway, and I imagine the well will have dried up after the next movie anyway.
Old November 17 2014, 03:45 AM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
...and I imagine the well will have dried up after the next movie anyway.
What brings you to that conclusion?
Old November 17 2014, 04:05 AM   #12
The Wormhole
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
...and I imagine the well will have dried up after the next movie anyway.
What brings you to that conclusion?
I just don't think there's much story material left in the Abramsverse. The movies are basically reinterpretations of Prime Universe material, and that won't last indefinitely. Hell, even the comics, after only doing three stories which weren't in some way re-interpreted TOS episodes have resorted to doing a six-part story where Q sends the Enterprise to the 24th century to fight the Dominion. I'm not even joking, that's what's actually happening in the comics right now! The Abramsverse is running out of steam, one more movie is all I think we can expect from it.
Old November 17 2014, 04:59 AM   #13
Oso Blanco
Commodore

a six-part story where Q sends the Enterprise to the 24th century to fight the Dominion
I wish they had saved this story for the next movie!
Old November 17 2014, 12:56 PM   #14
BillJ
Admiral

Hell, even the comics, after only doing three stories which weren't in some way re-interpreted TOS episodes have resorted to doing a six-part story where Q sends the Enterprise to the 24th century to fight the Dominion. I'm not even joking, that's what's actually happening in the comics right now! The Abramsverse is running out of steam, one more movie is all I think we can expect from it.
That's just playing to your audience. Die-hards who love things like crossovers.
Old November 17 2014, 03:44 PM   #15
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I'd really like them to do a Star Trek 4 and 5 and 6 wiith this cast. It's all down to how ST3 performs. We can only hope! (and see 3 over and over in theatres)

Story-wise, there are infinite possibilities. I love the way they delved into the Trek mythos in ID and turned it on it's head, but in no way does that (or plotlines in the comics, which are deliberately kept "safe" not to tred on the movieverse's toes) mean they're out of ideas.