STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the grading and discussion thread for Star Trek Into Darkness. This is the place where you can grade the movie in the poll above and discuss every aspect of the film. This thread will contain spoilers, so beware.

[​IMG]

When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew. - Trek Today

J.J. Abrams talks about the movie: "Of course you can’t make this for everyone. There are going to be detractors, people who hate it. But I think that the important thing is this movie, at least the ambition behind it, is… if you’re a Star Trek fan, you’re going to be very happy. Because the movie acknowledges, in a big way, what has come before. If you’re not a lifelong Star Trek fan, like myself, what I think and hope is that you’ll have a great time and you’ll feel something and you’ll be gasping and shrieking and laughing and crying and all that stuff in a way you would not expect to in a Star Trek movie." - Source

J.J. Abrams talks about the villain: "[Nero] was just a raging, vengeful lunatic. All he wanted to do was destroy Vulcan, Earth and the Federation…He had backstory but was kind of irrational. The beauty of Benedict’s [John Harrison] is that he’s completely rational. He’s someone that you can have conversations with. You couldn’t sit down and talk to Nero – he’d bite your head off!" - Source

Damon Lindelof talks about making the movie in 3D: "I would say that the 3D in Trek is better than the 3D in Prometheus in terms of the way the movie was designed. Because A.) It was built into the story, B.) It wasn’t used in a gimmicky way, and C.) Every shot that J.J. did was cognitive of the process." - Source

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

The Red Carpet should be opening up in Sydney right about now, with the World Premiere showing to begin in just under an hour. That means it's time to open up this thread for business. There will surely be spoilers ahead.

Enter, if you please...

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been waiting DAYS to say this: That is an awesome poster, Agent Richard07!
    Now I've leaving this thread until May 9. I hope everyone enjoys!:)

4. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Spoil me like the spoiler whore that I am!!!

5. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The embargo has been lifted and some reviews have started to popup. I've seen a couple which were spoiler free so far.

6. Deck 1 - Bridge

Deck 1 - Bridge Lieutenant Junior Grade

7. topas

topas Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

9. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

IMDB poster just posted that the end credits are rolling now. Posted something about a major character death, TOS cameo, and TWOK mirror. Also posted the number 72.

Poster said they won't do major spoilers though, will let someone else do it.

This is killing me! (I don't even get to see it in May, so I want to know now in case I have to wait till November to see it!)

10. Dsven43

Dsven43 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

TWOK?

11. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

The Wrath of Khan

12. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

TWOK = Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan. A pre-Abrams production.

13. Dsven43

Ah. Never saw it abbreviated:-). Thanks.

14. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just seen it at Sydney. I found it very average.

I loved the 2009 movie and I found this average.

15. oneal_cj

oneal_cj Ensign Newbie

Care to share any spoilers??????

16. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Indeed, please tell us SOMETHING the reviews can't. Like who Harrison really is.

:devil:

17. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

That's already been revealed over on IMDb forums.

It's Khan.

18. Dsven43

How is it explained? Or can you provide a link to the forum?

19. calamity_si

calamity_si Commander Red Shirt

Ok stuff all the other details - TELL ME ABOUT THE DREADNOUGHT SHIP! I MUST KNOW! LOLOLOL!

20. thePhanatic

thePhanatic Guest

Saw XII in Sydney tonight. The film is excellent, I've given it a score of 9.4/10. If anything, it's Too much fanservice, possibly at the expense of storytelling - but I believe that this might be a better Star Trek film than even Star Trek XI.