Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old April 18 2013, 05:15 PM   #1
Mutara Nebula 1967
Captain

MIRROR DARKLY-seven years old. Still hold up? Your thoughts.

Nearly seven years (the lenght of every other new Trek except ENT unfortunatly) have passed since the airing of IAMR.
At its initial airing there was much acclaim about the episode. I was just wondering what fans think now so far removed from the hype.

In my opinion the hype and praise still are justified. This was an amazing outing, a perfect sequel to TW for anyone who ever wondered (as I did) what happened to the DEFIANT. And to see a TOS starship in operation was just an amazing thing.

The only points I would take away from it are
1. I wish we could have gotten to the Defiant more quickly in part 1.
2. The Gorn stuff feels tacked on and unecessary
and three...as awesome as the ending was for Hoshi five minutes after the credits roll you realize how ridiculous it is for her to declare herself emperor because to hold onto her power she is a prisoner of the DEFIANT forever. What fun is being emperor if you are stuck in orbit in a star ship.

That said-again this was a phenomenal episode and showed the promise this series had that was sadly truncated just when it was getting really good. UPN descendant CW would KILL for the ratings now that ENT was getting then.

"Looks like the good folks of Island Town are roundin' up a possy and I bet Jack leads the charge in a big white hat."
Mutara Nebula 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 06:01 PM   #2
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: MIRROR DARKLY-seven years old. Still hold up? Your thoughts.

Lame. I couldn't have cared less what the alternate versions of the crew were up to. They're not the crew I'd been watching for four years and they didn't engage me one bit. I know others here feel differently, but that's my take.

I wish they'd spent that TOS bridge money on William Shatner and done the MU origin story instead. Or a "Tomorrow's Enterprise" time travel episode. Or at the very least, done a "Mirror, Mirror" premake where the at least one of the "real" characters is involved.
Old April 18 2013, 07:23 PM   #3
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Just rewatched part one yesterday. Still entertaining.
Old April 18 2013, 07:24 PM   #4
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Lame. I couldn't have cared less what the alternate versions of the crew were up to. They're not the crew I'd been watching for four years and they didn't engage me one bit. I know others here feel differently, but that's my take.
By that logic, you shouldn't really enjoy the Abramsverse films either.
Old April 18 2013, 07:39 PM   #5
F. King Daniel
Admiral

^They engaged me a lot
Old April 18 2013, 07:59 PM   #6
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Mutara Nebula 1967 wrote: View Post
Nearly seven years (the lenght of every other new Trek except ENT unfortunatly) have passed since the airing of IAMR.
At its initial airing there was much acclaim about the episode. I was just wondering what fans think now so far removed from the hype.
In terms of "coolness" - "awsomeness", it was the best presentation of the Mirror universe ever, including the original.
...as awesome as the ending was for Hoshi five minutes after the credits roll you realize how ridiculous it is for her to declare herself emperor because to hold onto her power she is a prisoner of the DEFIANT forever. What fun is being emperor if you are stuck in orbit in a star ship.
You should read the Enterprise story in the Trek book, "Glass Empires", to find out how not true this is.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 08:07 PM   #7
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Sorry Enterprise or it's mirror version never sold me enough to buy their novels. Too many novels about DS9 and TNG, the franchises I did like, I haven't read yet before I'd even consider it.

As for the episode? Everyone's stupid in this one. Let's just get that out of the way. But it's a mirror universe episode, so that's par for the course. Random dying, lots of sex and everyone's evil. It's the whole concept.

It's entertaining enough and some of the small changes are interesting. Like how Porthos is a huge badass dog now, how Phlox has evil creatures that look like they'd rip you to shreds, things like that. I just took it as two hours of entertainment. Not the best Ent episode... definitely not in the top tier of Trek... but amusing in it's own right.
Old April 18 2013, 08:51 PM   #8
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Instant classic.
Old April 18 2013, 09:14 PM   #9
Mutara Nebula 1967
Captain

gblews wrote: View Post
Mutara Nebula 1967 wrote: View Post
In terms of "coolness" - "awsomeness", it was the best presentation of the Mirror universe ever, including the original.
...as awesome as the ending was for Hoshi five minutes after the credits roll you realize how ridiculous it is for her to declare herself emperor because to hold onto her power she is a prisoner of the DEFIANT forever. What fun is being emperor if you are stuck in orbit in a star ship.
You should read the Enterprise story in the Trek book, "Glass Empires", to find out how not true this is.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try to get a copy as I would like to see how it could work.

"Looks like the good folks of Island Town are roundin' up a possy and I bet Jack leads the charge in a big white hat."
Mutara Nebula 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 09:41 PM   #10
Angry Fanboy
Lieutenant Commander

Angry Fanboy

I'd describe it as 'enjoyably camp'.
Angry Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 10:51 PM   #11
Poinsettia
Commodore

Seven years eh,... Seems like longer ago. Anyway, one of my favorite ENT two-parters, because of the "Mirror" universe. However, I didn't care for "Mirror" Archer.
Poinsettia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 12:46 AM   #12
marksound
Fleet Captain

Original airdate 22 April 2005. That's 8 years ago (in 4 days).

I never understood why Forrest didn't throw Archer out the airlock after he regained command. Or for that matter, why Archer didnt kill Forrest in the first place.

Buncha wussies.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 01:39 AM   #13
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Hold up? Of course it does.

Why wouldn't it?
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 02:42 AM   #14
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Though I have a few nitpicks here and there, I loved those two episodes! Including the alternate credits.

My only concern is that they killed off a lot of interesting characters if they were seriously thinking of revisiting the universe a few times in succeeding seasons.
Old April 19 2013, 02:49 AM   #15
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Definitely one of the best Enterprise episodes.

Probably the first episode I would show the people (Like myself) who quit Enterprise after the crappy first two seasons.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote