MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 28 2014, 07:58 PM   #121
HIjol
Captain

Re: Kirk Enterprise - the Enterprise(a)?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Well I'll be motherfucked up the goat ass, it is real after all. Still, it looks really crappy, and what the hell is keeping it in place anyway. Yeah, I know had the scene been in the movie it would have looked better and they likely would have included some sort apparatus showing how it hanging or something.

And while I now admit that I was wrong I do not apologize for my skepticism since my doubts were very legitimate based on the actual facts available to me at the time the picture was first posted. And I stand by those doubts on those grounds.

Meanwhile, in the scene itself, around the 30 second mark, is it me or does Noel Clark say he has a message from "John Ericson"? John Ericson of course was Khan's name in early drafts of Space Seed, but if that is indeed what is said here, it kind of shoots down what Orci has been saying about John Harrison being developed first and then turned into Khan. Or was he first written as Harrison, changed to Ericson when to was decided to go with Khan only to become Harrison again in the final film?

HIjol wrote: View Post
...have there not been 718 episodes, all told, of the various incarnations of Star Trek?...
According to Memory Alpha, there are 728, but that's if you include all episodes from all series, including TAS and all 12 movies.

Thanks, Wormhole...was not counting movies, but that still leaves me 2 off on my math...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 10:24 PM   #122
HIjol
Captain

"...motherfucked up the goats ass...?"

Wow!
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 10:44 PM   #123
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

"Well, that's a hell of an apology, son..."
Old February 28 2014, 11:19 PM   #124
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Was an explanation ever given for the significance of the name "USS Biddeford"? Is someone on the production team from Maine?
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 11:51 PM   #125
OpenMaw
Commander

I'd love for them to name a ship "USS KABOOM"

Old March 1 2014, 12:37 AM   #126
Dukhat
Commodore

And while I now admit that I was wrong I do not apologize for my skepticism since my doubts were very legitimate based on the actual facts available to me at the time the picture was first posted. And I stand by those doubts on those grounds.
I don't recall anyone asking you to apologize for your skepticism.
Old March 1 2014, 12:41 AM   #127
SeerSGB
Admiral

And ...I do not apologize for my skepticism since my doubts were very legitimate based on the actual facts available to me at the time the picture was first posted. And I stand by those doubts on those grounds.
Are you unning for public office? Reads like a congress-critter reply. Way to serious for the topic to hand.
Old March 1 2014, 01:10 AM   #128
WarpFactorZ
Captain

So now that it's been established the TOS Constitution design is canon (ignoring whether or not deleted scenes "count"), who wants to open speculation about where this lineage goes, chronologically-speaking.

In the prime universe, the 1701 was built in 2245. But with Nero's incursion, perhaps plans for this version of the Constitution were scrapped in favour of the nu-design (and Marcus' model is just that -- a concept model he liked and kept).
Old March 1 2014, 01:34 AM   #129
Dukhat
Commodore

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
So now that it's been established the TOS Constitution design is canon (ignoring whether or not deleted scenes "count"), who wants to open speculation about where this lineage goes, chronologically-speaking.
Deleted scenes don't count, but I'm open to speculation nonetheless.

In the prime universe, the 1701 was built in 2245. But with Nero's incursion, perhaps plans for this version of the Constitution were scrapped in favour of the nu-design (and Marcus' model is just that -- a concept model he liked and kept).
Since there's also another ship (Newton-type) with the same registry and presumably the same name actually seen in the film, we can also speculate that this ship was going to be its replacement. But as far as being a concept...none of the other ship models are concepts, so why should this one be?
Old March 1 2014, 01:34 AM   #130
OpenMaw
Commander

Depending on how one feels about the Countdown to Darkness comic that too also raises questions about what happens between 2233 and 2258 as far as starfleet and the Enterprise legacy are concerned.

Old March 1 2014, 01:42 AM   #131
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I'd like to rock the boat by suggesting that 2245 is pure conjecture from the old Star Trek Chronology book and non-canon technical manuals. Early plans for ST'09 had the TOS Enterprise be destroyed in the opening, which would have cemented it's construction pre-2233. Perhaps the class is that old? One of the movie's novel inspirations was Final Frontier by Diane Carey, which had the ship launch in 2188 (as per the 1979 Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology book)
Old March 1 2014, 01:59 AM   #132
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
And ...I do not apologize for my skepticism since my doubts were very legitimate based on the actual facts available to me at the time the picture was first posted. And I stand by those doubts on those grounds.
Are you unning for public office? Reads like a congress-critter reply. Way to serious for the topic to hand.
As you may have noticed, The Wormhole is almost never completely serious. An over-the-top apology would merely be consistent in tone with the rest.

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Was an explanation ever given for the significance of the name "USS Biddeford"? Is someone on the production team from Maine?
No explanation I can recall seeing. I did try looking it up when that question was asked earlier, but I don't think I found any likely clues.
Old March 1 2014, 02:00 AM   #133
WarpFactorZ
Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Early plans for ST'09 had the TOS Enterprise be destroyed in the opening, which would have cemented it's construction pre-2233. Perhaps the class is that old?
I agree that there is no canon source for the christening of the Enterprise, so it's entirely possible that it could have been built pre-2230. This would have made for a better opening, rather than using an unknown ship, and would have offered some explanation for why the nu-E doesn't look like the old one. They also missed the opportunity to canonize Robert April beyond TAS (given the absurd number of nods in each film, I find it odd they didn't).
Old March 1 2014, 02:03 AM   #134
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I'd like to rock the boat by suggesting that 2245 is pure conjecture from the old Star Trek Chronology book and non-canon technical manuals.
That's something everyone knows in regards to the subject. But I think that 2245 was widely accepted by fandom and people who worked on Trek like Mike Okuda to allow room for TAS' Robert April to have commanded the Enterprise before Pike.

Early plans for ST'09 had the TOS Enterprise be destroyed in the opening, which would have cemented it's construction pre-2233. Perhaps the class is that old? One of the movie's novel inspirations was Final Frontier by Diane Carey, which had the ship launch in 2188 (as per the 1979 Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology book)
I think that 2188 launch date was an attempt to reconcile some evidence that TOS took place in the 22nd-Century and TMP in the 23rd-Century? Perhaps giving enough wriggle room for both to be true with approximations.
Old March 1 2014, 02:09 AM   #135
SeerSGB
Admiral

It is possible that the new ships that were mentioned at the end "These Are The Voyages" was the start of the Constitution (Jefferies Type) hull lineage. We'll need new class name, unless we want to call one the Constitution Mk I and the other Constitution Mk II.