A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 18 2014, 03:55 PM   #1
ralph
Captain

JD Payne speaks about Trek 3 for the first time

“I can’t really talk about much of what it is. At its core, Star Trek has always been about adventure, exploration and wonder, with an optimistic sense of the future, and all its possibilities. It’s a massive playground; we’re so excited to be diving in on it.”

“Star Trek is unique in that it often grapples with complex ethical and moral dilemmas — we’d love to create a situation like that where you really could be a person of any background, and come down on both sides of how you should respond. Where you can walk out and say, ‘You know, I really don’t know what I would do. What would you do? What’s right to do?’ And get the audience to really engage.”

source: TrekToday

I really hope this is exactly what Trek 3 is all about… strange new worlds to explore. I’d love to see some actual intellectual content in the new script and not just explosions.
Lets just hope that Bob will allows him to do that.
Old March 18 2014, 04:16 PM   #2
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: JD Payne speaks about Trek 3 for the first time

Ultimately, Paramount will decide whether they will back a script for STXIII. Perhaps, Bad Robot is practicing Kirk's realization: "Young minds, fresh ideas."
Old March 18 2014, 05:19 PM   #3
billcosby
Commodore

Yep. Action and adventure was prevalent in the first two, but exploration was sorely missing (save the first 10 awesome minutes of Into Darkness).
Really hoping the third film will get weirder.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 04:05 AM   #4
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Yup. That's exactly what I want from Star Trek. Action is great, but it can't be the primary focus.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 12:19 PM   #5
Lance
Fleet Captain

He's saying all the right things but I'm not completely convinced things will pan out the way he wants. I sure hope so, though.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 02:39 PM   #6
anh165
Commander

The success from 2009 and SiTD should be enough leverage for them to take a risk and make the 3rd film about exploration, mystery and raising interesting questions whist balancing that with action.

I still think the powers that be will want it to be more action based so we're likely to see a compromise of 10 mins of exploration, and 90 minutes of action/comedy/hot women.
Old March 19 2014, 03:16 PM   #7
Relayer1
Commodore

anh165 wrote: View Post
The success from 2009 and SiTD
...will mean they do exactly the same all over again. They won't change a profitable formula.
Old March 19 2014, 03:32 PM   #8
anh165
Commander

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
...will mean they do exactly the same all over again. They won't change a profitable formula.
The counter argument is too much of the same would be counter productive also.

Millions upon millions have seen / enjoyed 2009 and STID, so the audience has been established, many of whom will be primed for something more ambitious from Trek rather than driven by the basis of revenge, explosions and destruction as those themes have already been explored.
Old March 19 2014, 09:55 PM   #9
Relayer1
Commodore

Relayer1 wrote: View Post

Millions upon millions have seen / enjoyed 2009 and STID, so the audience has been established, many of whom will be primed for something more ambitious from Trek rather than driven by the basis of revenge, explosions and destruction as those themes have already been explored.
You are giving the studio 'suits' way too much credit. When one failed blockbuster could finish a major studio, ask any of them whether they'd rather take a hit movie and make a sequel/reboot/copy or try something new and different...
Old March 19 2014, 10:39 PM   #10
BigJake
Rear Admiral

I wouldn't count on them to make anything more than minor tweaks in the formula, if that. They'll probably make some tweaks to try to fortify the "domestic" audience with which STID's performance was disappointing, but don't expect it to amount to anything extensive. (And yes, that formula probably will have outstayed its welcome by the third film, but in no way will that stop them.)
Old March 20 2014, 05:37 PM   #11
anh165
Commander

BigJake wrote: View Post
I wouldn't count on them to make anything more than minor tweaks in the formula, if that. They'll probably make some tweaks to try to fortify the "domestic" audience with which STID's performance was disappointing, but don't expect it to amount to anything extensive. (And yes, that formula probably will have outstayed its welcome by the third film, but in no way will that stop them.)
I agree, at the end of the day, there will be some new elements carefully written in and edited out so it flows well within the main story.
Old March 20 2014, 06:41 PM   #12
ralph
Captain

More about Payne.

"We're trying to set up a kind of situation where you really could -- and not in just an 'everything's relative' sort of moral relativism -- you could be a good person of any creed or philosophical background and come down on both sides of how you should respond to this opportunity that the crew has.... that also has some pitfalls to it. Where you could argue very, very, very compellingly that 'this' is what you should do, and if you're advocating 'this' then it's actually evil.

It's sort of the Adam and Eve thing, where should we eat the fruit or not eat the fruit? Well, there are some very compelling reasons why they should and why they shouldn't. So, similar kinds of things here that really give the whole movie and opportunity to sort of play with that, and have people come down on different side and wrestle with it; then come to an ending where you can walk out and say, 'You know, I don't know what I would do.'"
Old March 20 2014, 06:56 PM   #13
BigJake
Rear Admiral

^ That sounds like something Very Bad is going to happen.

In the writers' room, I mean.
Old March 20 2014, 07:09 PM   #14
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Star Trek 3: Kirk Eats the Space Fruit and Gets Us Kicked Out of the Garden of Eden
Old March 20 2014, 07:12 PM   #15
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Star Trek: Strange Fruit

Star Trek: Okay, Everybody Out of the Pool!

Star Trek: Dammit, Jim, I Told You Not to Eat That

Star Trek: Seeds of Destruction