Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 18 2013, 02:15 AM   #1
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain
Data and Odo

Do you think Data and Odo would get along?

How do Odo's strength, height, weight, intelligence, and calculating speed compare to Data's?
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 02:18 AM   #2
Lindemann's Catch
Commodore

Re: Data and Odo

I think they would find each other unremarkable at first, then have a frank discussion on observing humanoids and part ways.
Lindemann's Catch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 02:20 AM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I could see Odo and Data having a cynical conversation when Odo starts remarking on human short comings and Data defends them. Beyond their variations on being the observer of the human condition though, I don't think they'd have much outside the line of duty to say to one another.
Old April 18 2013, 04:19 AM   #4
Tosk
Rear Admiral

^I was thinking the same thing. The optimist vs the pragmatist.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 04:48 AM   #5
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Odo only really has three interests. Kira Nerys, reuniting with his people, and enforcing the law. Data doesn't really factor into any of those. I can't really see the conversation even starting.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 05:55 AM   #6
JessDD
Lieutenant

Data basically gets along with everyone.

Although, I admit, if you stuck the two in a long shuttle ride together, I have a feeling it would be a quiet journey...
Old April 18 2013, 06:03 AM   #7
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

I never got the impression that Odo was especially intelligent. Not dumb and perhaps above average, but certainly unremarkable compared to Data. And is his strength above average? He certainly knows how to handle himself in a fight and his shape shifting gives him some unique advantages, but have we seen him exhibit strength above and beyond the norm?
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 10:07 AM   #8
Elvira
Vice Admiral

Data could tell Odo about the time he attempted to kill Kivas Fajo, and Odo could offer his input as to the moral and law enforcement ramifications of Data's actions and attempted actions.

Data: "What would you have done?"
Odo: "That's a good question."

Old April 18 2013, 10:22 AM   #9
R. Star
Rear Admiral

LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
I never got the impression that Odo was especially intelligent. Not dumb and perhaps above average, but certainly unremarkable compared to Data. And is his strength above average? He certainly knows how to handle himself in a fight and his shape shifting gives him some unique advantages, but have we seen him exhibit strength above and beyond the norm?
Using your arms, shapeshifting or no, to stop a turbolift from falling by warping it out of shape to jam the shaft seems like a display of strength above the norm.
Old April 18 2013, 12:44 PM   #10
not
Lieutenant Commander

Odo was essentially a conflicted man but Data isn't; I don't think they would relate but OTOH, maybe Data's 'want' to be human and Odo's life with solids has a commonality
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 01:22 PM   #11
Forbin
Admiral

Calculating speed? When was Odo a calculator?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 01:57 PM   #12
Yuckleberry Finn
Vice Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
Calculating speed? When was Odo a calculator?
I'm sure he turned into one whenever Quark had a calculator nearby while making a deal with the smuggler of the week.
Yuckleberry Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 06:30 PM   #13
R. Star
Rear Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Data could tell Odo about the time he attempted to kill Kivas Fajo, and Odo could offer his input as to the moral and law enforcement ramifications of Data's actions and attempted actions.

Data: "What would you have done?"
Odo: "That's a good question."

Well Odo was in a similar situation when Tain and Garak captured him. We'll never know for sure given Garak had his anti-shape shifter machine, but I was under the distinct impression Odo was about to give him a beating.

Mind you it would probably be just to the point of unconsciousness, and Odo did save Garak's life despite it all. Really though, Odo had a demonstrated behavior of putting his own sense of justice before letter of the law and morality.

He had no problem working as the literal equivalent of a Gestapo agent during the occupation. In fact he often pines on how those were the good old days when everything was kept secure. He often chafes at Federation due process, he'll lock Quark up without charges our representation regularly, he wanted to break up Rom's union because he thought they were bad for public order, and he offered to arrest a bunch of Paigh wraith cultists who were peacefully chanting just because they bothered his girl friend. Quark was fairly accurate in calling him a fascist.

So no, I really don't think Odo would've held it against Data for shooting Fajo who was a known criminal, even if he couldn't prove it.
Old April 19 2013, 02:37 AM   #14
The Wormhole
Admiral

I'm sure Odo would have been somewhat antagonistic towards Data upon first meeting him but the two would have worked out as a team when all was said and done.
Old April 19 2013, 03:31 AM   #15
Yuckleberry Finn
Vice Admiral

They'd get along if Odo turned into Spot
Yuckleberry Finn is offline   Reply With Quote