Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 20 2013, 12:46 PM   #31
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Are many of you going to "spoil" yourselves next week?

Ill try not to.

This will be the first time I ever bought pre-release tickets for a movie aside from the STNG theatrical events. The new IMAX theater here is still not completed (delayed opening since Oct!! It'll be the largest in the state!) , which sucks, so I'm settling for 3D for now.

RAMA
Old April 21 2013, 01:08 AM   #32
Gojira
Commodore

I have some physical issues that make sitting ina movie theater very painful so I will wait for the DVD. I may go see it in the theater, I am not sure. But either way I am not sure if I want to be spoiled or not. Given the number of nerd message boards I am on it will be hard to escape spoilers!
Old April 21 2013, 01:35 AM   #33
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I was super enthusiastic about this one.. but then I saw the last trailer where it seems that Starfleet has made an impossibly large and retarded-looking ship and that put a huge damper on my enthusiasm.
The "I believe in you Jim" trailer? That's the one that reversed my feeling from I'll see it a few weeks after it comes out, to gotta' be opening weekend.

If only for the penultimate scene where Kirk (probably) take arrogant John-boy down.

Old April 21 2013, 02:41 AM   #34
Gsam
Lieutenant

T'Girl I'm with you..the "I believe in you Jim" trailer seals the deal for me...
Gsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 02:53 AM   #35
donners22
Commodore

Gojira wrote: View Post
I have some physical issues that make sitting ina movie theater very painful so I will wait for the DVD. I may go see it in the theater, I am not sure. But either way I am not sure if I want to be spoiled or not. Given the number of nerd message boards I am on it will be hard to escape spoilers!
Would it be bearable if you could take a few breaks? Perhaps if you know someone who will see it early they can tell you opportune moments to sneak out for a few minutes.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 07:59 PM   #36
Gojira
Commodore

donners22 wrote: View Post
Gojira wrote: View Post
Would it be bearable if you could take a few breaks? Perhaps if you know someone who will see it early they can tell you opportune moments to sneak out for a few minutes.
That may be possible. I may try that thanks!
Old April 21 2013, 10:10 PM   #37
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'm hoping that Star Trek: The Video Game and The Next Generation season three on Blu-ray will keep me occupied enough to keep me off of this particular sub-forum.
Old April 21 2013, 10:22 PM   #38
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

I know I won't be seeing the new film in theaters due to vision problems, so I will not avoid spoilers. I didn't see Star Trek 2009 until last year, but I already knew the story and had read all the background info. Lots of stuff I didn't agree with, but it's just another interpretation of Trek.
Old April 22 2013, 08:15 AM   #39
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
I was super enthusiastic about this one.. but then I saw the last trailer where it seems that Starfleet has made an impossibly large and retarded-looking ship and that put a huge damper on my enthusiasm.
The "I believe in you Jim" trailer? That's the one that reversed my feeling from I'll see it a few weeks after it comes out, to gotta' be opening weekend.

If only for the penultimate scene where Kirk (probably) take arrogant John-boy down.

Although there is a certain symmetry to Pike telling him his arrogance can get his crew killed to the part of the trailer where Kirk meets a big ship that could do just that and he says sorry, i guess I'm just sick of all these Star Trek films where the Enterprise comes up against a ridiculously huge ship. this one in particular looks ridiculous. why would Starfleet build such a ship?

Bigger does not mean better. The Reliant was smaller than the enterprise.. but good writing made it a huge challenge...
Old April 22 2013, 12:59 PM   #40
Green Shirt
Commodore

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
themadhatter wrote: View Post
1. Khan had North Indian ancestry in the original timeline. But, could be a loophole to that.
Yeah, Ricardo Montalban cast as a North Indian!
He played a Japanese man on Hawaii Five-0, and a Native American on Bonanza (Madlyn Rhue even played his wife in the ep).
Old April 22 2013, 01:02 PM   #41
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

And a not very convincing Irishman on Fantasy Island (I am Mr. Rourke, your host.)
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 01:19 PM   #42
iguana_tonante
Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Absolutely I'll read every spoiler I can find.
This. One million times this.
Old April 22 2013, 01:46 PM   #43
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Never really understood why people are so concerned, one way or another, with spoilers. Perhaps I don't understand this because I am a voracious reader, and the vast bulk of films I'm interested in are based on books which I've been sufficiently interested in, that I've already read them.

If I wasn't interested enough in a story to read the book, why the hell would I be interested in a screen adaptation of said book?

I am pretty much accustomed to seeing films where I know most all the major plot points and twists, well in advance of going to the theatre.

Having foreknowledge of what's going to happen in a film has rarely, if ever, "spoiled" the film-going experience for me. (If that weren't the case, I'd likely never again see any movie that was based on a historical event.)
Old April 22 2013, 02:49 PM   #44
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Bigger does not mean better. The Reliant was smaller than the enterprise.. but good writing made it a huge challenge...
It was bad writing that made Reliant a threat. Kirk was required to ignore every regulation in the book in order for Reliant to get close enough to the Enterprise with its shields still down.

But The Wrath of Khan is still a great movie.
Old April 22 2013, 03:00 PM   #45
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Screen adaptations are never a carbon copy of the books upon which they are based. There are always differences that may, or may not, be interesting in and of themselves and would be more effective the first time without any foreknowledge of them. An original screenplay should offer many more such moments.

I don't mind a few hints about a film or book and I won't avoid seeing a film or reading a book if it's been "spoiled". However, whenever possible, I prefer a first-time reading or viewing or listening experience to be uncluttered with too much advance knowledge. There can only be one "first-time experience" and I prefer not to have it "spoiled".

Subsequent viewings, readings and listening sessions offer me a way to appreciate different aspects of a particular work (assuming it warrants subsequent visits) but I still want a fresh version the first time out.

The Sixth Sense, for example, is something I would probably have not enjoyed nearly as much as I did the first time I saw it if the "reveal" had been known to me beforehand. I enjoyed it a second time, but in large part, that was owing to watching my wife watching it for the first time and seeing her reactions to various elements of the film (as well as wondering if she would figure out the "reveal" ahead of time). I also was interested to see if there were any glaring errors that should have alerted me to the "reveal" the first time through--I found nothing in particular. I was able to spot the clues, being in on the reveal, but they were skillfully and subtly presented.

I don't begrudge anyone who wants to be spoiled for this movie (or any other) but there is merit in a first-time "unspoiled" experience that makes me resist major spoilers.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote