Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 9 2013, 07:01 AM   #1
The Overlord
Captain

Why is DC so far behind Marvel in terms of movies?

It seems like in the last decade, Marvel has greatly surpassed DC in terms of success in the movie industry. There have been several Marvel franchises launched in the last decade, DC has made some great Batman movies, but that is it. Jonah Hex, Superman Returns, Green Lantern and Catwoman all failed to launch a successful film franchise in this past decade.

Why is DC so far behind Marvel in terms of movies?
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 07:37 AM   #2
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Re: Why is DC so far behind Marvel in terms of movies?

Because DC is owned by Warner Brothers and has zero say in what movies of their properties get made. Warner Brothers is a movie studio, not a "make DC comics into movies" studio. To them, the comic book movies are a small part of their overall movie business, whereas Marvel Studios was created to do nothing more than make movies of Marvel comic books. It sucks, but that's just the way it is.
Old April 9 2013, 07:45 AM   #3
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Marvel has a plan. WB/DC doesn't
Old April 9 2013, 10:57 AM   #4
Nightowl1701
Commander

It's also pretty clear the WB executives (and the filmmakers they hire to handle the characters, except for Christopher Nolan) don't have a clue what made the DC superheroes successful in the first place and aren't particularly interested in learning. (In fact, their general contempt for comic books is palpable.) This hasn't stopped them from blatantly meddling not only in the film adaptations but in the comics themselves, trying to recast the whole pantheon in the image of Nolan's Batman and in turn rendering the DC superheroes all but unrecognizable. Disney, on the other hand, has been mostly hands off with its Marvel properties: "You know these guys, we don't. We trust you. Just make us the best movies possible."
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 11:04 AM   #5
Relayer1
Commodore

The above posts are pretty bang on, but I also think that DC have less top flight characters. Admittedly Superman and Batman are as big as it gets, but after that they are very much 2nd division.

Wonder Woman may be an exception, but no-one has a clue what to do with her...
Old April 9 2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I wrote a Wonder Woman script.

Well half a page.

But I meant to finish it.

It started with President Luthor Hanging Jimmy Olsen with Diana's golden lariat on the white house lawn.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 12:12 PM   #7
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
The above posts are pretty bang on, but I also think that DC have less top flight characters.
I don't think that's much of an excuse though. Part of Marvel's success has been taking second-tier heroes (by necessity, seeing as almost all of Marvel's headliners were already taken by various studios) and making them household names. Nerds knew Iron Man, but he sure wasn't particularly well known before his movie. Or Thor.

Can you believe we'll be seeing an Ant-Man movie before too long? And D̶̶C̶ WB can't even get a Wonder Woman movie off the ground.

Edit: No, you're right. I was thinking purely the 'Marvel Cinematic Universe', but the OP talks about all the other franchises too, so apologies for that. All that typing just to make myself look foolish.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 12:21 PM   #8
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It just seems weird to me that regular people wouldn't know who Iron Man or Thor were.

I mean you try to explain Moon Knight and they just go blank, that's off on the fringe, but Iron Man has had several Saturday Morning Cartoons.

The only reason any one knew who Spider-Man was before the Rami movie was becuae of the Electric Company. That fucker taught me how to read and write.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 02:32 PM   #9
The Overlord
Captain

The Lensman wrote: View Post
Because DC is owned by Warner Brothers and has zero say in what movies of their properties get made. Warner Brothers is a movie studio, not a "make DC comics into movies" studio. To them, the comic book movies are a small part of their overall movie business, whereas Marvel Studios was created to do nothing more than make movies of Marvel comic books. It sucks, but that's just the way it is.
I wonder why WB can't give DC their own studio, sure that is expensive, but considering how much money Marvel studios has made for Disney, it might be a good investment.

Disney payed 4 billion dollars for Marvel and that investment seems to have payed off. It just seems Disney/Marvel are more willing to take risks, while DC/WB are just playing catch up, that is why a lot of the Green Lantern film feels like a poor man's Iron Man and why WB is only making an JLA movie now, after Avengers made a billion dollars at the box office.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Gaith
Rear Admiral

1) Marvel's characters are just plain better. Cue a pointed dissent from Christopher in 3... 2... 1..., but it's true.

2) Gotham aside (it gets a pass on grimdarkness), fictional cities are passé. Places like Metropolis and Star City were probably a lot more interesting and felt more real to suburban and rural kids around the country before decades of on-location movies and TV shows made real cities, and New York in particular, far more relatable than Generic Superhero Town #4. Indeed, the non-relatability of anonymous cities was superbly exploited in the Matrix films.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 03:00 PM   #11
jayceee
Commander

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
The only reason any one knew who Spider-Man was before the Rami movie was becuae of the Electric Company. That fucker taught me how to read and write.
I grew up watching the first Spiderman cartoon from the late 1960's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-...7_TV_series%29
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 03:03 PM   #12
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ Guy was joking.

The Overlord wrote: View Post
DC/WB are just playing catch up, that is why a lot of the Green Lantern film feels like a poor man's Iron Man and why WB is only making an JLA movie now, after Avengers made a billion dollars at the box office.
The Overlord, The Overlord... WB is not making a JLA movie.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 04:51 PM   #13
RoJoHen
Awesome

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
It just seems weird to me that regular people wouldn't know who Iron Man or Thor were.
Well, I think regular people may have heard of them, but there isn't any reason for them to know anything about them. Unlike Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, the X-Men, etc...Iron Man and Thor didn't really have much exposure outside of the comics.

I grew up watching Batman, X-Men, and Spider-Man cartoons in the 90s. The Hulk and Wonder Woman TV shows were before my time, and those character haven't really gotten a ton of exposure since then.

And maybe it's just me, but there is something inherently unrelatable about Superman and Wonder Woman. Any time I try, I just can't seem to care about them. In fact, the only DC character I've ever had any interest in is Batman.
Old April 9 2013, 04:54 PM   #14
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I started feeling old when my friend's wife told me everything she new about the X-Men came from the 90s cartoon when she was a kid. I was in my 20s when that cartoon first aired and I have never seen a single episode.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 04:56 PM   #15
RoJoHen
Awesome

Whereas I have only ever read one single issue of any comic book ever. Something about Juggernaut and Jean Grey wandering around a sewer and Onslaught coming back (and me going, "who the heck is Onslaught?").