Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 20 2013, 10:38 PM   #1
RoJoHen
Awesome

I could fix it if I just had the part!

I am full of domestic rage, and it is all directed at my dryer.

The drum stopped spinning. After some thorough investigation, I have learned that it needs a new belt and idler pulley. All of this I learned this afternoon.

What I also learned this afternoon is that you can't buy these parts anywhere. This should be one of the easiest DIY projects ever, but I can't do it because I can't get a hold of new parts unless I order them online.

I went to several hardware/appliance stores, and they all looked at me like I was an idiot. "Of course we don't sell those things, you fool! What were you thinking?"

And then an old man told me to look in the phone book for a company that doesn't exist anymore.

And yes, I know I can air dry my clothes. That is not the point.
Old April 20 2013, 10:47 PM   #2
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

Re: I could fix it if I just had the part!

HA-Ha!! I'm in that same boat except the heating element on mine is out. And the Dryer is ancient compared to what is out. Anywho, there's a few closeout outlets in the area.

If there are some in your area, they might be able to help. Or sale you one cheap.
Pondwater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 11:03 PM   #3
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

So just buy it online. What, a week to ship at most?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 11:20 PM   #4
RoJoHen
Awesome

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Also not the point.

It was just an anecdote about my day intended to spur conversation about DIY/home repair projects.
Old April 20 2013, 11:41 PM   #5
J.T.B.
Commodore

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I went to several hardware/appliance stores, and they all looked at me like I was an idiot. "Of course we don't sell those things, you fool! What were you thinking?"
Don't you have any local appliance repair places that sell parts? They usually have the common stuff in stock. I needed a new transmission for our washer a couple of months ago. I look up a part number online, make a couple of phone calls to check prices, stop by on my way home from work and before dinner the washer's humming with a new trans. It was $180, but the old one lasted 13 years and the washer is in fine shape otherwise, I expect it will go on another five years at least.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 12:30 AM   #6
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Shouldn't this be in the "first world problems" thread?
Old April 21 2013, 01:34 AM   #7
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

You need to become a hoarder. Next time you see your model of dryer on the side of the road for the hard trash you scoop it up and stack it in your garage so you will always have parts.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 02:02 AM   #8
Avon
Fleet Captain

get some chains and with minimal welding, rig it up to an old bicycle. so you can get sweaty as your clothes dry.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 02:23 AM   #9
marksound
Fleet Captain

I don't bother with local places unless I know for sure they will have what I need, which is not as often as I would like. It's much easier, faster, costs less in gas, not to mention frustration, to find a part number myself and buy the part online.

The hard part is diagnosing the problem and having the skills and tools to do the repair.

I've found parts for my 30+ year old oven on ebay, parts for an ancient riding lawn mower several states away, garage door parts a few towns over, etc. Even Amazon has listed some obscure stuff I needed in a pinch.

The days of driving all over town for parts are long gone.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 02:55 AM   #10
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Also not the point.

It was just an anecdote about my day intended to spur conversation about DIY/home repair projects.
And I replied to your anecdote. That's called a conversation. If you want more interesting replies from me than post less boring anecdotes.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 05:38 AM   #11
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

I am full of domestic rage, and it is all directed at my dryer.

The drum stopped spinning. After some thorough investigation, I have learned that it needs a new belt and idler pulley. All of this I learned this afternoon.

What I also learned this afternoon is that you can't buy these parts anywhere. This should be one of the easiest DIY projects ever, but I can't do it because I can't get a hold of new parts unless I order them online.

And then an old man told me to look in the phone book for a company that doesn't exist anymore.

And yes, I know I can air dry my clothes. That is not the point.
FWIW, I have a Whirlpool washer/dryer set for sale... cheap. I inherited a new Whirlpool Cabrio set from my dad. The other set is gathering dust in my garage.

Reader's Digest published a book for DIY over 30 years ago. I purchased it new and it was a Godsend. Using that book, I learned to fix mowers, washers, dryers, cars and more. Since I was just out of college and broke, it came to be my best investment. I am sure most of the information is outdated now, but for older items it is still useful.
Old April 21 2013, 01:35 PM   #12
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

sojourner wrote: View Post
My thoughts exactly.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 05:23 PM   #13
E-DUB
Captain

A while back my dryer started sounding like a cross between a stuck pig and a Martian war machine. I was able to locate the exact parts you're talking about at a "appliance service" place that turned out to be within walking distance of my home. For about $20 and a couple of days of perspiration I was able to effect a repair that would have probably cost more than replacing the unit outright had it been done by a "professional". Domestic trauquility restored. I've also replaced the ignitor a couple of times. Bottom line, if the guys who fix these things for a living can get the parts you can too. I don't know if you live in a city or in the boonies but look for appliace services rather than hardware or appliance stores. Of course, it might turn out that the parts aren't made anymore, like the fan for my dehumidifier, which I've also replaced twice and am listening to drone on even as I type this. Good luck.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 02:49 AM   #14
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
My thoughts exactly.
Since TrekBBS is an internet board, isn't everyone here having "first world problems"? Should the entire board be under the "First World Problems" thread?

In short, if you are against this thread, why are you here posting in it?

We now return to our regularly scheduled thread topic:
I agree that "appliance service" is the better place to look for such parts.
Old April 22 2013, 06:00 AM   #15
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
My thoughts exactly.
Since TrekBBS is an internet board, isn't everyone here having "first world problems"? Should the entire board be under the "First World Problems" thread?

In short, if you are against this thread, why are you here posting in it?

We now return to our regularly scheduled thread topic:
I agree that "appliance service" is the better place to look for such parts.
Sorry, I think you missed the point. Our comments were pointing to what we thought of the issue, not whether this thread should actually exist.