Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 27 2012, 06:56 AM   #1
Super55
Ensign

Topher Grace's Star Wars Prequel edit

I wish I could see this.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/tophe...els-int,70527/

AV Club wrote:
Topher Grace edited all the Star Wars prequels into a single movie and apparently it's pretty good

By Sean O'Neal March 7, 2012
There have been many after-the-fact edits of the Star Wars prequels made over the years—some without Jar-Jar, some where no one speaks but Jake Lloyd, whatever George Lucas did today—but few if any of these edits have been done by actor Topher Grace. Until recently, anyway, as self-proclaimed film geek Grace reportedly gave himself a crash course in editing by compiling his very own cut of the Star Wars prequels, combining footage from all three movies, a few scenes from the original trilogy, and even some dialogue and music from a Star Wars audiobook and episodes of The Clone Wars, then stringing them all together into one streamlined movie. Final run time: Around 85 minutes, or the approximate length of a single conversation about the Trade Federation.
And whaddayaknow, according to /Film writer Peter Sciretta (who saw a private screening), Grace’s Star Wars III.5: The Editor Strikes Back still manages to tell a complete, surprisingly moving story of Anakin Skywalker’s rise and fall even while making some severe cuts—namely, everything about blockades or taxes or whatever, that whole cloning subplot, the myriad debate scenes in the Galactic Senate, midichlorians, “Noooooo!” and pretty much the entirety of The Phantom Menace, including all of Jake Lloyd’s scenes and most of Jar-Jar, who’s here reduced to a single line of dialogue. As it turns out, many of these things were not entirely necessary.
Anyway, you can read a thorough description here of Grace’s version, which Sciretta proclaims “probably the best possible edit of the Star Wars prequels given the footage released and available”—and which, of course, you’ll probably never actually get to see, unless George Lucas goes on some sort of nitrous bender or something. Incidentally, this marks Topher Grace’s second appearance in Newswire today, which means that the Midwest can expect rain soon.
Super55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: Topher Grace's Star Wars Prequel edit

Interesting. Reminds me of the "Machete Order" (which removes TPM entirely) that we were all talking about here a couple of months back.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I have started and stopped my own version of the same thing several times. Often because I get to busy or plainly to bored of the prequals to even care about doing it. I too would be interested in seeing this.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Kegg
Rear Admiral

There's a dedicated fan community out there with around nine billion different re-edits of the Star Wars films and the prequels. (I remember once seeing an trailers made for a version that would edit the Anakin story to be something running simultaneously with Luke's story, in a kind of The Godfather II sort of way). I wonder how Grace's edit would compare to those, but if you really want to see 'improved' Star Wars, it's out there.
Old May 27 2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Vorta
Lieutenant Commander

Awesome! Wish we could see this.
Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
There's a dedicated fan community out there with around nine billion different re-edits of the Star Wars films and the prequels. (I remember once seeing an trailers made for a version that would edit the Anakin story to be something running simultaneously with Luke's story, in a kind of The Godfather II sort of way). I wonder how Grace's edit would compare to those, but if you really want to see 'improved' Star Wars, it's out there.
This. Fanedit.org lists dozens of SW prequel edits alone... but, in the end, imho, when it comes to Eps. I-III, the Only Winning Move is Not to Play.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Here is my Edit, I fixed your mistake

But, in the end, imho, when it comes to Eps. I-III, the Only Whining Move is Not to Play.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 09:49 PM   #8
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I just want to see a cooking show where Mace Windu shows the public how he can cook many different imaginary starwars creatures rectally with his purple light sabre.

Or a cook off?

Where mace Windu and Obiwan see who can bumfry more Womprats than the other in 2 minutes.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 10:02 PM   #9
StalwartUK
Commander

85 minutes, pretty good. Sounds about right. Anything that saves us from more Jar Jar must be good.
Old May 27 2012, 10:12 PM   #10
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

He has said he did not do this as a criticism. Just as a means to learn and practicing film editing.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 10:46 PM   #11
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I just want to see a cooking show where Mace Windu shows the public how he can cook many different imaginary starwars creatures rectally with his purple light sabre.
Only if Siri helps him.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2012, 02:11 AM   #12
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
He has said he did not do this as a criticism. Just as a means to learn and practicing film editing.
Riiiight.

Who is he trying to fool?
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2012, 03:00 AM   #13
Disruptor
Commodore

Sounds interesting.

Now if Topher could edit himself out of SPIDER-MAN 3 and PREDATORS, maybe those would be much improved.
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2012, 03:09 AM   #14
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

In other news Danny Masterson has made a killer playlist that he's shared with his girlfriend.

Last edited by Mr. Adventure; May 28 2012 at 05:31 AM.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2012, 05:03 AM   #15
Hawkeye92
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't see why he just doesn't put it up on YouTube.
Hawkeye92 is offline   Reply With Quote