Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 10 2014, 02:52 AM   #181
LordMudd
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Your own personal continuity

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Gojira wrote: View Post
Another personal continuity is that Star Trek Nemesis never happened. While I like to think Riker did Captain the USS Titan, but Data did not die.
I agree that Nemesis was pretty awful, but I can accept that Data died. For me however, the scene with Picard and B4 (where he starts to sing) doesn't happen, therefore keeping Data's death as a heroic and noble sacrifice without cheapening it by giving us Data 2.0.
I think the idea here was that Data had evolved as far as the writers could take him, and they wanted to create a tie in character in case there was a new series.

CCC.
LordMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 04:20 AM   #182
ensign caden
Cadet

hi my name is ensign caden im a huge fan and looking for people to share my love of star trek i just started collecting stuff i have a comic khan reining in hell a mug and the new movies i also have a few books so you can see i like all trek but know little so looking to learn
ensign caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 01:06 PM   #183
Robert Comsol
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Forbidden Planet is part of mine.
I have no problem with the United Federation of Planets being known at first by the colloquialism of "the United Planets," and then late as "the Federation."
Interestingly, though it may just be a rumor I heard, when it came to "Amok Time" some people pointed out that it couldn't be Altair IV because that planet had been claimed by "Forbidden Planet", so it was changed to Altair VI...

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 03:08 PM   #184
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Interesting topic.

Couple come to mind.

1. Uhura doesn't do a dance in STV.
2. Orion Slave Girls aren't part of Star Fleet in ST09.
3. Nero didn't have to wait 25 years for Spock to come through the super-wham-o-dine black hole.
4. nuUhura and nuSpock aren't a thing after ST09.
5. TATV doesn't exist.

Some more later probably.
Old June 10 2014, 10:01 PM   #185
LordMudd
Lieutenant Commander

I like several of the novels, especially the ones written by people who also wrote for the series. DC Fontana in particular comes to mind. She is responsible for most if not all of the Vulcan mythos, so I feel that you can pretty much take anything she writes as canon.

I had an Idea for an episode of DS9 with Harry Mudd. The basis for it was how Harry got off of the android planet. In my version he created androids of himself and used the confusion to slip away. So did an unknown number of the androids, all believing that they are the real Harry. So my story, which is the back story of the episode, starts with Odo watching Harry exit the airlock and walk into Quarks. He then goes into his office and begins a background check. Later we begin to see the results of that search as an arrest record longer than Odo's arm is revealed, and being a shapeshifter, Odo can have a pretty long arm. Then Odo notices that some of the dates conflict, putting Harry in 2 places at once, and some of them even come with confirmed execution dates. Then Odo finds a file that won't open, resulting in a conference with an Admiral at Starfleet about Mudd's World and the tech there that the Federation wants to keep out of the hands of it's enemies, like the Romulans and Cardassians who would have no moral objection to creating a disposable army to attack with. Odo points to Harry and says "I think you are a bit too late for that."
The point of this story is to open the door for as many Harry Mudd stories as people can imagine, which can end any way the writer wants because they don't have to be the same Harry. It could have even opened the door for a Voyager Harry story.

Now, before you say that's nice but Roger Carmel is dead, yes I know, but you obviously don't know me very well. Considering that I spent 3 years on the SE Texas convention circuit undefeated in my Harry Mudd costume, I figured that as long as I didn't have to say anything, I would be a perfect stand in, hence my ulterior motive in all of this, AND the reason for my screen name.

I also created my own character that I used in a short story I wrote for a college lit class. Got an A by the way.

CCC.
LordMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 05:09 AM   #186
Lucky
Commander

I consider all the shows canon, including TAS. There is also a part of me that wants to treat the Shatnerverse novels as canon due to Shanter's involvement in them.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 05:57 AM   #187
JRoss
Captain

All of TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9 and ENT (except TATV) happened. Voyager, ST V, Generations and Nemesis did not.

The Final Reflection is true, just a bit out of sync with ENT's official timeline. Those Neo-Nazis in TFR are the ideological descendants of Terra Prime.

Guinan is really a displaced Time Lord. Admiral Marcus was inspired to create the Vengeance by reading a trashy pulp adventure from the 20th century.

Picard is Wesley's father.

Last edited by JRoss; June 11 2014 at 06:12 AM.
JRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 12:21 PM   #188
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

JRoss wrote: View Post
Admiral Marcus was inspired to create the Vengeance by reading a trashy pulp adventure from the 20th century.
Dreadnought?

Old June 11 2014, 12:23 PM   #189
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
In the opening to the novelization of TMP, Roddenberry (writing as Kirk in the first person) calls TOS an exaggerated dramatization of the five-year mission.

There's also a quote from Paula Block in Voyages of Imagination (also here: http://www.canonwars.com/STCanon.html):
I got a 404 error message from this link.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 02:59 PM   #190
Robert Comsol
Commodore

In the opening to the novelization of TMP, Roddenberry (writing as Kirk in the first person) calls TOS an exaggerated dramatization of the five-year mission.
That's not what I recall. Wasn't it that he just expressed discomfort to what hero status he had been elevated to?

Alternately, we'd have to pinpoint a couple of TOS episodes with obvious and "exaggerated drama" to test the validity of such a claim.

Another thing: Surely there must be somebody who can say a few good things about ENT's "These Are The Voyages" (TATV), right?

Okay, I go first: It was the first and only time that we saw TNG footage reframed for 16:9 widescreen in the opening scene (with extra image information left and right previously unseen).

Next, please...

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 03:32 PM   #191
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

My copy of the novelization is miles away in storage, but as I recall Kirk was saying that it was his sexual adventures and the numbering of them that was exaggerated.

Old June 11 2014, 04:13 PM   #192
JRoss
Captain

Dreadnought?

Yup.
Old June 11 2014, 09:52 PM   #193
Tarheel
Lieutenant

View Tarheel's Twitter Profile

Timewalker wrote: View Post

There's also a quote from Paula Block in Voyages of Imagination (also here: http://www.canonwars.com/STCanon.html):
Looks like the link should be http://www.canonwars.com/STCanon.html
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 10:17 PM   #194
alpha_leonis
Captain

When the Enterprise left the galaxy in WNMHGB, they actually went either "up" or "down" relative to the galactic plane. Not "out" to the rim.
alpha_leonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2014, 07:34 AM   #195
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
That's not what I recall. Wasn't it that he just expressed discomfort to what hero status he had been elevated to?
T'Girl wrote: View Post
My copy of the novelization is miles away in storage, but as I recall Kirk was saying that it was his sexual adventures and the numbering of them that was exaggerated.

Gene Roddenberry, writing as James T. Kirk in the first person, pages 7 and 8:

Unfortunately, Starfleet's enthusiasm affected even those who chronicled our adventures, and we were all painted somewhat larger than life, especially myself.
Eventually, I found that I had been fictionalized into some sort of "Modern Ulysses" [...] Nor have I been as foolishly courageous as depicted. I have never invited injury; I have disliked in the extreme every duty circumstance which has required me to risk my life. But there appears to be something in the nature of depicters of popular events that leads them into the habit of exaggeration. As a result, I have become determined that if I ever find myself involved in an affair attracting public attention, I would insist that some way be found to tell the story more accurately.

In other words, the TOS we saw wasn't the real thing. Gene Roddenberry's little way of jettisoning everything he'd thought better of since the 60's.
Tarheel wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
Looks like the link should be http://www.canonwars.com/STCanon.html
Oops, didn't realize putting the link in parenthesis would break it. My bad.