Star Trek #42 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23

Trek Actors At The Oscars
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23

Retro Review: The Changing Face of Evil
By: Michelle on Feb 21

Star Trek-Themed Van Sold
By: T'Bonz on Feb 20

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 16 2013, 11:16 PM   #106
yenny
Captain

Re: new star trek trailer

marillion wrote: View Post
Jax wrote: View Post
6079SmithW wrote: View Post
Back on topic, Prime universe Starfleet built warships in the Defiant and Sovereign classes and there is no reason to believe Abrams-verse Starfleet can't or won't do the same.
Especially after their last fleet was decimated by a single ship, that had to leave the Federation extermely vulnerable to an attack from the Klingons or Romulans. Desperate officers at the top could lead to well warships and worse.
This is my thought as well... After getting pasted by the Narada, Starfleet knows there are bigger boys on the block and so they start developing bigger toys to play with them...

Much like the Defiant (tough little ship) was designed with the Borg in mind... The difference between the two being that to battle the Borg, Starfleet needed speed, manuverability and fire power... To face off against something like the Narada, they need size, armor AND fire power...
Starfleet didn't know about the Narada, starfleet haven't had time to built that ship in that short of time space. If it was built because of the reports from the Kelvin survivors? Then Why didn't they built the Enterprise and other starships like Harrison ship?
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 11:16 PM   #107
arch101
Fleet Captain

Would be cool if the new ship is Excelsior, several decades early. Hey, the timeline's screwed up already, why not?
Old April 16 2013, 11:29 PM   #108
RAMA
Vice Admiral

The poll at Trekmovie is showing 96% like or love for the final trailer.

RAMA
It's part of nature too
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 11:45 PM   #109
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Ok I've just had to watch it I wasn't going to but I have and OMG !!!! Lets see some fans were moaning about not enough space scenes for Star Trek oh wait that trailer was Awesome space battles red blue and gold shirts everywhere TOS Star Trek has never been so good !!! I've always wondered what a Star Trek movie with massive budget would be like and 2009 movie came out and I nearly screamed with joy..... But now this one holy crap even if your not a Star Trek fan this could be the best Sci Fi movie ever.... And I have to say this better than Star Wars...... Is it mad of me to say it !!!!
Old April 16 2013, 11:46 PM   #110
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

And we get Klingons !!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old April 17 2013, 12:08 AM   #111
StarMan
Vice Admiral

I'll just echo the collective nerdgasm. I think we have a winner on our hands.

I loved Kirk's 'I'm sorry' remark. Not the most inspiring comment your CO could make.
Old April 17 2013, 12:17 AM   #112
RAMA
Vice Admiral

StarMan wrote: View Post
I'll just echo the collective nerdgasm. I think we have a winner on our hands.

I loved Kirk's 'I'm sorry' remark. Not the most inspiring comment your CO could make.

Sometimes you have a to call a spade a spade..and bow to the awesome awesomeness before us.

Kirk is apologizing because he basically took the crew on his manhunt...makes sense to me.

RAMA
It's part of nature too
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 12:18 AM   #113
3chordboy
Commander

StarMan wrote: View Post
even Adama in nuBSG ended up saying "then that's it...it's been an honour" in Exodus Part II when it seemed like they were doomed.

i've watched the trailer several times and think it is a work of genius editing, designed to make us think Harrison is the big bad. i honestly don't think he is. yes, i think he is a terrorist so is a bad guy but something about the way the trailer is cut makes me feel like there is something much bigger going on. i do think the line about the "captain going down with the ship" is a reference to himself and not Kirk

btw, i will admit if i'm completely wrong in a few weeks but its just the vibe i got from the new trailer
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 12:42 AM   #114
robau
Lieutenant Commander

yenny wrote: View Post
Why is Carol Marcus is screaming and look frighten? It is in this trailer.
She looks annoyed to me.
robau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 12:45 AM   #115
WarpFactorZ
Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post
Kirk is apologizing because he basically took the crew on his manhunt...makes sense to me.

RAMA
Maybe. But it seems more like he's apologizing for the fact they're about to get their collective asses pummeled....

I still can't help but thing, however, there's some editing magic going on here.... I think the "story" told by the trailer is going to be radically different in the movie.

On edit: I noticed two posts above that 3chordboy thinks the exact same thing!
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 01:58 AM   #116
Capt_Pickirk
Fleet Captain

Maybe John Harrison is trying to start a war with the klingons? Pitching starfleet against the klingon empire for some reason.

RIP Doctor Who 1963-1996
Capt_Pickirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 02:12 AM   #117
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

Capt_Pickirk wrote: View Post
Maybe John Harrison is trying to start a war with the klingons? Pitching starfleet against the klingon empire for some reason.
Maybe he's trying to prevent war with the Klingons by killing all the corrupt Starfleet higher-ups who were gunning for war.
Old April 17 2013, 02:18 AM   #118
bullethead
Fleet Captain

6079SmithW wrote: View Post
Capt_Pickirk wrote: View Post
Maybe he's trying to prevent war with the Klingons by killing all the corrupt Starfleet higher-ups who were gunning for war.
I dunno, destabilizing Starfleet when the Klingons are in an expansionist phase (at least going by Countdown into Darkness) would probably encourage the Klingons to attack.
Old April 17 2013, 02:47 AM   #119
Dukhat
Commodore

yenny wrote: View Post
marillion wrote: View Post
Jax wrote: View Post

Especially after their last fleet was decimated by a single ship, that had to leave the Federation extermely vulnerable to an attack from the Klingons or Romulans. Desperate officers at the top could lead to well warships and worse.
This is my thought as well... After getting pasted by the Narada, Starfleet knows there are bigger boys on the block and so they start developing bigger toys to play with them...

Much like the Defiant (tough little ship) was designed with the Borg in mind... The difference between the two being that to battle the Borg, Starfleet needed speed, manuverability and fire power... To face off against something like the Narada, they need size, armor AND fire power...
Starfleet didn't know about the Narada, starfleet haven't had time to built that ship in that short of time space. If it was built because of the reports from the Kelvin survivors? Then Why didn't they built the Enterprise and other starships like Harrison ship?
1. Starfleet had twenty years to build that ship, from when that huge mysterious alien vessel destroyed the Kelvin. That's plenty of time.

2. The reason why the Enterprise doesn't look like that ship is the same reason why the TOS Enterprise doesn't look like the Excelsior: they were built for different reasons.

3. That dreadnought's design has John Eaves written all over it. While John is a very nice guy, his ship designs tend to all look the same no matter what time period the ship is from. So there's no reason to assume that this ship is from the future just because it shares characteristics with a 24th century ship designed by the same guy.
Old April 17 2013, 03:02 AM   #120
cbspock
Rear Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
This is the whole problem with modern movie audiences. Younger so-called "fans" don't respect Trek's history and are way too easily impressed by a movie being absolutely awesome!
What's that supposed to mean? I have been a trek fan since the 70s and I think JJ has done an awesome job capturing the spirit of the original series. The movies are like the "event" type episodes in Season 2... Doomsday Machine, Ultimate Computer, Immunity Syndrome, and I would even throw Tholian Web and Elaan of Troyus from season 3 in the mix. The character archetypes are all there, plus with the additional changes in the timeline like Vulcan being destroyed, and Pike acting as a mentor for Kirk has been really interesting.

There are some things I don't like about JJ Trek, like the design of the Enterprise, it is just ugly, and the brewery as the engine room, but that is just the style they decided to go with. I guess we can't have everything

When Trek 2009 came out and I heard about the reboot I went in not wanting to like it, but I think the scene that hooked me in, was when Bones and Kirk meet on the shuttle the first time.

It is also great to see Trek get back to it's roots and lose the pretentious stuffy TNG style.

-Chris