RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,670
Members: 24,197
Currently online: 618
Newest member: Trek's Offender

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 15 2013, 03:56 PM   #16
not
Lieutenant Commander

Re: First World Problems

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^But then what would we have to bitch about?
I'll give you my list ;-)
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 04:39 PM   #17
Garrovick
Commander

I've been watching episodes of ENT on Netflix and sometimes it can take up to 10 seconds to load an episode before watching. I hate that.
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 05:07 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I ate microwave popcorn for lunch since the refrigerator was another seven steps away and making a sandwich just seemed too complicated.
Old April 15 2013, 05:41 PM   #19
B.J.
Rear Admiral

not wrote: View Post
Collingwood Nick wrote: View Post
I have to flip my USB sticks three times before they'll go into the damn socket
Yeah...I know it's probably just confirmation bias, but it really does seem that I try the wrong side every fucking time. I do the exact same thing when I try to connect my insulin infusion set to my body.

Maybe there is actually something about a USB design that does cause people to attempt to put it in the wrong way up more often than not? Some quality that is on the bottom of the USB that we usually associate with being on the top of things.
A paint pen is your friend. A dot of silver paint or any color that contrasts will make your life less 1st world. I also mark what any connection device is used for.
Unfortunately, not all USB ports are oriented in the same direction. Pretty sure my home computer's ports are opposite from my work computer's. Then there's the ones sticking out from the sides of my monitors.....
Old April 15 2013, 06:28 PM   #20
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

I live right above the kitchen of a 24 hour coffee shop/cafe, I almost never turn my heater on (a few days every winter). However the apartment permanately smells like coffee, and I have become a coffee dependent freak. Rarely touched the stuff before I moved here.

I spend more on coffee in a year, than I ever would have to heat my apartment. Hardly a economical trade off.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 06:29 PM   #21
not
Lieutenant Commander

B.J. wrote: View Post

Yeah...I know it's probably just confirmation bias, but it really does seem that I try the wrong side every fucking time. I do the exact same thing when I try to connect my insulin infusion set to my body.

Maybe there is actually something about a USB design that does cause people to attempt to put it in the wrong way up more often than not? Some quality that is on the bottom of the USB that we usually associate with being on the top of things.
A paint pen is your friend. A dot of silver paint or any color that contrasts will make your life less 1st world. I also mark what any connection device is used for.
Unfortunately, not all USB ports are oriented in the same direction. Pretty sure my home computer's ports are opposite from my work computer's. Then there's the ones sticking out from the sides of my monitors.....
Edit: Colored paint pens are your friend. Dot match the male and female end!
Old April 15 2013, 09:31 PM   #22
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I don't think my job/friends would like me putting paint marks on their hardware.
Old April 15 2013, 09:48 PM   #23
not
Lieutenant Commander

sojourner wrote: View Post
I don't think my job/friends would like me putting paint marks on their hardware.
Hmm, I would tell them your paint pen inoculates the devices against viruses
Old April 15 2013, 10:54 PM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

T'Girl wrote: View Post
I live right above the kitchen of a 24 hour coffee shop/cafe, I almost never turn my heater on (a few days every winter). However the apartment permanately smells like coffee, and I have become a coffee dependent freak. Rarely touched the stuff before I moved here.

I spend more on coffee in a year, than I ever would have to heat my apartment. Hardly a economical trade off.

You now know the power of the caffeinated side.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 06:26 AM   #25
scotpens
Vice Admiral

I live in a second-floor apartment and I have a complaint about my downstairs neighbors. No, they're not noisy, they don't have parties all night, and they don't play loud music. In fact, they're very nice people. They do cook a lot, and the odors from their cooking waft up into my room. Usually it actually smells pretty good -- but the smell is invading my personal space, dammit! I use a lot of Neutra Air.

Collingwood Nick wrote: View Post
I have to flip my USB sticks three times before they'll go into the damn socket
Have you tried looking at the plug end of the stick to see which is the slot side and which is the thing-that-sticks-out side?
Old April 16 2013, 07:11 AM   #26
Third Nacelle
Captain

I'm all out of Keurig K-cups and had to make coffee in an old-fashioned drip machine. It took nearly SIX MINUTES! Plus I spilled grounds between the counter and the fridge and my cleaning lady doesn't come until Thursday. HELP!
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 07:23 AM   #27
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

tumblr's queue is NOT working! It failed to post and I had to post something MANUALLY!!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 09:22 PM   #28
ITL
Vice Admiral

Just had a mini power outage - one of those ones that lasts about five seconds. I had to turn my computer back on and reset the time on my digital clock. IT TOOK ME TWENTY SECONDS! Twenty precious seconds I'll never see again.
Old April 17 2013, 09:27 PM   #29
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Our cable company doesn't provide BBCAmerica in HD. I feel wronged.
Old April 17 2013, 09:29 PM   #30
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

scotpens wrote: View Post
Have you tried looking at the plug end of the stick to see which is the slot side and which is the thing-that-sticks-out side?
I hope nobody ever turns that into a "That's what SHE said" joke.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote