Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 29 2013, 10:28 PM   #31
Dream
Admiral

Re: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Great trailer. I'm looking forward to this movie as much as Thor 2!
Old October 30 2013, 05:59 AM   #32
JD
Admiral

Great trailer. Hopefully I'll finish the book before the movie comes out.
Old October 31 2013, 01:57 PM   #33
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

From what I've seen of the trailers so far, the movie looks great. It seems to be really faithful to the book, and they've definitely used the bigger budget to have much better visual effects (something that was lacking in the first movie), costumes and production design - there's a lot of attention to detail, but the emotional moments seem to be all there.

This is all, however, from a POV of a fan who's read the books. I wonder how the marketing for the movie looks from the perspective of people who haven't read the books. If there are non-book fans here, which of the three trailers (and two TV spots, if you've seen them) did you like best? Do they make people want to watch it? Do they make people want to see the movie even if they hadn't seen the first one or didn't like it that much?

The only thing I dislike about the marketing are some of the articles published in magazines and media sites, because they spoil so much.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 12:43 AM   #34
JD
Admiral

Yeah, even with the little bit I've read of CF, I'm already recognizing stuff in the trailers. That's a good sign if you ask me.
Old November 3 2013, 02:58 AM   #35
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
From what I've seen of the trailers so far, the movie looks great. It seems to be really faithful to the book, and they've definitely used the bigger budget to have much better visual effects (something that was lacking in the first movie), costumes and production design - there's a lot of attention to detail, but the emotional moments seem to be all there.

This is all, however, from a POV of a fan who's read the books. I wonder how the marketing for the movie looks from the perspective of people who haven't read the books. If there are non-book fans here, which of the three trailers (and two TV spots, if you've seen them) did you like best? Do they make people want to watch it? Do they make people want to see the movie even if they hadn't seen the first one or didn't like it that much?

The only thing I dislike about the marketing are some of the articles published in magazines and media sites, because they spoil so much.
Well, I haven't read the books and I enjoyed the first movie. Many of the people I know who have read them felt it was pretty faithful, and that some aspects that were changed for movie purposes (like the expanded role of the HG director and how he interacts with Snow and other characters) were generally good for narrative reasons. I hope that stays true of Catching Fire as well.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 08:25 AM   #36
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post

I think it was the first trailer where this guard beats up the old man for daring to speak up and Katniss comes to his aid and gets threatened.

I have spoiled myself about the general story via Wikipedia so i have an understanding of the general progression of the story but i liked how they showed how she becomes the nucleus and public figure of the emerging rebellion (they already showed it in the first movie with the riot). This i definitely look forward to see.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 02:19 AM   #37
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

Man, Katniss Everdeen just kills everyone!

Old November 13 2013, 02:50 AM   #38
Dream
Admiral

Early Reviews are coming in and they are very good

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_...catching_fire/
Old November 13 2013, 05:10 AM   #39
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I saw the first on DVD long after it was released. I had no real knowledge of it or the books. I had no expectations. I thought it was going to be aimed at teens and young adults only. I was completely wrong! I really loved. Not only is it entertaining but there are some real ideas here. I am seeing the sequel right away in a theatre.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 11:44 PM   #40
Dream
Admiral

Jennifer Lawrence comforts crying Hunger Games fan at Catching Fire premiere

The touching moment when Jennifer Lawrence spotted a crying fan in the crowd at the ‘Hunger Games: Catching Fire’ premiere in London has lit up the internet.

If you haven’t seen it (the footage is above), Lawrence is walking the red carpet in London when she spots a young fan crying.

The actress asked for the security barriers to be taken down, left the red carpet, and gave the youngster a big hug. What a lady.

Yahoo Movies UK got in touch with film company Lionsgate, who told us more about the young fan who met Jennifer.

She is Jessica Hambly, who is 15 years-old and from Bransholme near Hull. She suffers from Mucopolysaccharidosis Disease, a metabolic disorder that makes the joints of the body weaker, nerves less effective and the heart and lungs do not work as well as they should.

Jessica was at the premiere thanks to the Starlight Children’s Foundation, an organisation that grants wishes to seriously and terminally ill children and entertains youngsters in hospitals and hospices. Read all about their work here.

It was her Starlight Wish wish to meet Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson because she is a huge fan of the ‘Hunger Games’ and it has always been her dream to meet the stars.
JLaw is awesome.
Old November 14 2013, 01:22 AM   #41
JD
Admiral

That is an awesome story. I was already a fan of her's after X-Men: First Class, and the first Hunger Games, but this just makes me like her even more.
Old November 14 2013, 02:26 AM   #42
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Agreed.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote