Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 17 2013, 03:27 AM   #31
Ryva Brall
Commander

Re: Bad episodes you love anyway

I'm going to be honest; there are parts of "Threshold" I find pretty funny. Like when Tom is talking about his funeral -- "Here lies Thomas Eugene Paris, beloved mutant." Or when Janeway asks the Doctor if he can wake Tom, and he says, "I believe so," and then yells, "WAKE UP, LIEUTENANT!"
Old April 17 2013, 03:34 AM   #32
EnsignRedshirt
Lieutenant

Not an episode, but given how many people dislike The Motion Picture I usually end up defending it as it is one of my favorite pieces of Trek.
EnsignRedshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 05:00 PM   #33
LOKAI of CHERON
Fleet Captain

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

The Alternative Factor. To be honest, pre-internet, I would never have considered this to be a weak Trek instalment. Yet, it consistently comes up on "worst of" fan lists. As such, although I don't believe it to be a "bad" episode, I'll throw it in as my vote. In actuality it's one of my favourite S1 entries!
Old April 17 2013, 08:49 PM   #34
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
The Alternative Factor. To be honest, pre-internet, I would never have considered this to be a weak Trek instalment. Yet, it consistently comes up on "worst of" fan lists. As such, although I don't believe it to be a "bad" episode, I'll throw it in as my vote. In actuality it's one of my favourite S1 entries!
Lazarus stealing dilithium twice after telling Kirk he was going to take it always makes me laugh. My biggest gripe about TOS was always the security (or lack thereof) on the Enterprise.
Old April 17 2013, 11:45 PM   #35
Danger Ace
Commander

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
The Magnificent Ferengi always makes me chuckle, but I never liked that it seemed to undermine the seriousness of Empok Nor.
"The Magnificent Ferengi" was another one I enjoyed. It was a nice intermission from the intense war arc.

"Ay plegli ianectu flaggen, tupep like for stahn... " - Cloud William
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 12:02 AM   #36
Danger Ace
Commander

EnsignRedshirt wrote: View Post
Not an episode, but given how many people dislike The Motion Picture I usually end up defending it as it is one of my favorite pieces of Trek.
I so very much agree.

Sure, The Motion Picture was a mish-mosh of previous TOS episodes, but just remembering the communal excitement of fans on opening-day ... It was the culmination of a decades worth of aspirations and effort. I honestly don't know if any film could have met the expectations of such a diverse demographic but the magic of that December night in 1979 will forever give this premeire installement an advantage when ranking the Trek films ... Afterall, we are not Vulcans.

"Ay plegli ianectu flaggen, tupep like for stahn... " - Cloud William
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 12:03 AM   #37
Gojira
Commodore

Melakon wrote: View Post
TOS - "Patterns of Force", criticized in its day, still criticized today, it opened the door for Star Trek Space Nazis everywhere, and showed how Skip Homeier was still hounded by typecasting after playing a Hitler youth over 20 years earlier.
I never knew that was considered a bad episode either. Always loved that episode!
Old April 18 2013, 05:58 AM   #38
WisTrekFan
Lieutenant

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
TNG: "Genesis." C'mon, Barclay turns into a spider-monster. What's not to love?

TOS: "Gamesters of Triskelion." Even as a kid, I knew this one was corny and cliche, and Shawna's tin-foil bikini would embarrass Barbarella, but I still enjoy it occasionally, if I'm in the right frame of mind.

And I sometimes think I'm the only Trekkie in the world who always eagerly looked forward to "Catspaw." It's the one-and-only Star Trek Halloween Special for the Old Ones' sake--written by Robert Bloch, no less!
Genesis is the only Star Trek episode that made me want to hide behind the sofa with my eyes closed. My guilty pleasure is Spock's Brain.
WisTrekFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 03:38 PM   #39
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Spock's Brain -
It has some good parts. Kirk finally asks advice from someone else other than Spock.
I also like how seriously they all play it.
This episode just proves that Kirk cannot lose - ever
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 06:11 PM   #40
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I only rewatched it a year or so ago, for the first time since TNG was around. I just remember it being so bad it wasn't worth a rewatch.

Time... has improved it somewhat. While the effects are still needlessly drawn out and don't serve any purpose, the dialogue is actually hilarious in retrospect with the sexual puns. Spock announcing they've achieved full penetration as the Enterprise flies into a suggestively shaped hole, things like that.

Not enough to move it from it's position at the bottom half of the movies list, but enough to make it bearable to watch again!
Old April 19 2013, 07:15 PM   #41
Gojira
Commodore

I love The Motion Picture, it is one of my favorites and reminds me so much of the original series. Other than Trek 09 The Motion picture really felt like a large scalse grand event.
Old April 19 2013, 07:18 PM   #42
Third Nacelle
Captain

I unabashedly LOVE The Motion Picture. Sure the story is slow, and not much happens, but it's absolutely gorgeous. Two hours of wonderful eye candy. And there's something about 1970s sci fi that looks and feels much more futuristic than the sci fi in the decades after.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 07:45 PM   #43
sonak
Vice Admiral

TAF is televised NyQuil. One of the most boring and pointless episodes of TOS. I'd rather sit through "brain and brain, what is brain?" than sit through the tedium of TAF.
Old April 19 2013, 08:04 PM   #44
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

I've rewatched VOY: Muse and TNG: The Neutral Zone multiple times. The latter most recently. Although I am not sure bad is the proper title – it would have been a great episode if it wasn't for the immensely stereotypical cardboard characters in the cryopods and the if the crew did not act silly, particularly if Worf did not bump his head in doors like an idiot and Picard did not nearly dismiss people's lives like they were nothing in his exchange with Crusher. The concept and setting were solid.
Old April 19 2013, 10:29 PM   #45
LOKAI of CHERON
Fleet Captain

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

sonak wrote: View Post

TAF is televised NyQuil. One of the most boring and pointless episodes of TOS. I'd rather sit through "brain and brain, what is brain?" than sit through the tedium of TAF.
Ah well, each to their own. If memory serves, this isn't the first time our respective "Trek tastes" have radically diverged, sonak!!!