Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old April 14 2013, 01:11 AM   #1
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Aurora in the northern USA

If you're looking for some in-depth science details on the potential of seeing the Northern Lights across Central PA and Northeast tonight, check out this link.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/Aurora/.

Look north between 8-11 pm, and get away from city lights if possible to help better the view.
Old April 14 2013, 02:26 AM   #2
Pondwater
Commodore

Re: Aurora in the northern USA

Would be cool, if it was viewable from here.
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 04:17 AM   #3
Talosian
Lieutenant Commander

New Jersey's supposed to be prime territory for viewing the aurora.

So far, nothing has been seen. The word from people throughout the state is that nobody's spotted it yet.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 05:29 PM   #4
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I didn't see shit
Old April 14 2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Metryq
Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post
I didn't see shit
But did you see any auroras? <rimshot>
Old April 15 2013, 07:38 PM   #6
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Ive had bad luck with the last few meteor showers and this as well...which saddens me because my stepdaughter has taken an interest in astronomy and celestial happenings.

RAMA
Old April 15 2013, 07:38 PM   #7
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Metryq wrote: View Post
I didn't see shit
But did you see any auroras? <rimshot>

Old April 15 2013, 09:25 PM   #8
Metryq
Captain

Ive had bad luck with the last few meteor showers and this as well...which saddens me because my stepdaughter has taken an interest in astronomy and celestial happenings.
That's the US north-east coast. I'm in Massachusetts, and if there is anything cool going on in the sky, it will be overcast at least. Space probes and telescopes are now providing the most amazing views, yet there is still something magical about seeing planets and nebulae "live" through a backyard telescope. You need to find a "star party."

You probably know of the free, multi-platform space simulator Celestia. While it is not inherently designed for education, like many commercial variants, the Celestia Motherlode includes educational add-ons.
Old April 18 2013, 09:07 PM   #9
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

In Canada, I get to see them fairly often enough where I'm located. Sometimes the naked eye won't really see much other than a faint glow, something to keep in mind when looking for them. But cameras can capture some amazing views. The last time my Dad and I were out shooting, we had captured an aurora by accident. These were taken in March of last year.

Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 03:39 PM   #10
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Metryq wrote: View Post
That's the US north-east coast. I'm in Massachusetts, and if there is anything cool going on in the sky, it will be overcast at least. Space probes and telescopes are now providing the most amazing views, yet there is still something magical about seeing planets and nebulae "live" through a backyard telescope. You need to find a "star party."

You probably know of the free, multi-platform space simulator Celestia. While it is not inherently designed for education, like many commercial variants, the Celestia Motherlode includes educational add-ons.

Yes, Ive been to the local astronomy club meetings before as well as the local college viewings, thought its been some time since I have. I wanted to take my stepdaughter to the observatory, only to find that its been closed to the public for a few years.

Hale-Bopp was one of my favorite viewings with the club:http://www.bobthealien.co.uk/cometshalebopp.htm

I've used Celestia before though I plan on buying a new telescope with a drive and planetarium software of it's own.
Old April 25 2013, 03:41 PM   #11
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
In Canada, I get to see them fairly often enough where I'm located. Sometimes the naked eye won't really see much other than a faint glow, something to keep in mind when looking for them. But cameras can capture some amazing views. The last time my Dad and I were out shooting, we had captured an aurora by accident. These were taken in March of last year.

Yes i know you can, you bastards!

I've only seem them once, in late 1989 during a major flare. I even remember the episode of STNG that aired that week: "Booby Trap"