Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old April 28 2013, 11:16 PM   #31
admiralelm11
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to admiralelm11
Re: Naming A Ship

I like it but how do you explain a Bajoran in the 23rd century? And a Bolian? Because we didn't see either in canon Trek until TNG so I'm curious about how you're going to spin this.

This looks like this could be one of your more successful crews like Silverfin and Trident.
Old April 29 2013, 05:35 AM   #32
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Because it set in 2378.
Old April 29 2013, 06:05 AM   #33
admiralelm11
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to admiralelm11

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Because it set in 2378.
Oh, duh, I feel stupid. Why such an old ship? Anyways, great crew selection!
Old April 29 2013, 09:09 AM   #34
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

From my first post:
The ship is an Archer-Class scout, commissioned in 2264 but lost in a temporal anomaly in 2266. It emerged in 2364 but due to the radiation levels of the anomaly all fourteen crewmembers were killed. It was discovered by a Daystrom Institute research vessel, who then turned it over to Starfleet for a thorough investigation, after which it was released back to the DI, who upgraded it and put it to work as a light surveyor.
The ship may look old on the outside, but the DI has radically upgraded every system without losing any of the aesthetics or styling.
Old April 29 2013, 10:38 PM   #35
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Given that everyone except the CO and XO on an Archer-class ship apparently bunk in pairs/shifts, who gets to share a bedspace with a Gorn?

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 11:13 PM   #36
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

For the Hawkeye the accommodations are a little different than when she was first launched in 2264. Captain Bakare and Doctor Kenyon are the ones who occupy the single cabins (as the ship's CO and science team leader respectively), whilst all then other cabins have been fitted with bunkbeds so the rest of the crew share:
- Naavar and Sharma
- Jofe and Reese
- Kayden and Balen
- Rodahl and Ry-Vahn

Echo doesn't require sleep, instead she simply recharges in the lab or engine room when needed. Doctor Sissrook is a late addition to the crew and, as yet, I've still got to figure out exactly where he will be bunking.
Old April 30 2013, 02:29 AM   #37
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

Is your captain actually going to be a full four-pip Captain? That seems a bit excessive for such a small crew.

A lieutenant would seem a more appropriate CO for a ship that size.
Old April 30 2013, 06:33 AM   #38
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

The Hawkeye is a civilian ship so she doesn't work with the Starfleet rank system. For each crewmembers primary position I've tried to avoid using 'officer' to describe them, whilst the post of 'Captain' is more a title than a rank.

Since rank doesn't play much of a role on the ship (for the most part everyone is called by the first name) I haven't really spent time thinking up the Daystrom Institutes ranking structure--I will get to that sometime though. In the Vanguard series though they had a three braid Captain, as well as a Commander, Lieutenant Commander and six other officers on a ship with 14 crew, so they do seem to be ships that are somewhat disproportionate in their officer-enlisted ratio.
Old April 30 2013, 09:55 AM   #39
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Jill Reese (Helmswoman)
Really?

Has it really gotten so bad that we're using 'helmswoman' to describe a female helmsman?
Old April 30 2013, 10:19 AM   #40
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I usually don't have an issue using helmsman for female, neutral or multi-gendered personnel that handle the stick and rudder. I went with woman as I think it fits with the kind of character Miss Reese is.

It could have been worse, I could have gone with helmsperson. Originally I was going with the job title 'Pilot', but I always think that fits better with shuttles, rather than actual ships.

Currently trying to work on the pilot story now.
Old April 30 2013, 10:56 AM   #41
Tiberius
Commodore

Captain Nebula wrote: View Post
Is it 'Archer-class' as in someone who hunts with a bow or Jonathan Archer class?
Its the same Archer-Class as appeared in Star Trek: Vanguard, which I believe was named for Captain Archer, even though a lot of ships of the class are named after people associated with bows.
USS Katniss.

t_smitts wrote: View Post
I was thinking of NAR-1818, but that was just a random number I plucked out of the air.
I was thinking more for the initial NCC number. I assumed the NAR number would be different. I wouldn't even venture a guess on how THOSE work.
NAR registries tend to be for science vessels.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote