Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Rate episode 7x08 Cold War
Geronimo! 34 27.42%
NIce Warrior! 66 53.23%
lukewarm 21 16.94%
Will spring never come? 3 2.42%
Dive Dive Dive! 0 0%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 13 2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Lonemagpie
Writer

Poll: 7x08 Cold War review and discussion

Is it wrong of me - actually of both Lesley and me - that our main thought about tonight's upcoming DW isn't "ooh, Ice Warriors" or "oo, Gatiss", or even "Ooh, David Warner," but is in fact "Hey, Davos Seaworth - talk about typecasting!"

Anyway, only a couple of hours to go, and I wanted to post the above, so may as well open the poll thread!

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Re: Poll: 7x08 Cold War review and discussion

I am really looking forward to this. I love submarine movies, the claustrophobic situations are fantastic for drama. Add in Ice Warriors and it sounds like a fun episode.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Konata Izumi
Commander

Expectation's a well-constructed thriller with characterisation like in Victory of the Daleks but effective plot and not scary enough unless a kid.

Who knows what will happen.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 05:17 PM   #4
TommyR01D
Lieutenant

My only concern about this episode is that all BBC descriptions call the setting "a Russian submarine", whereas it should be "a Soviet submarine", which it so far seems only Wikipedia has amended.

That may sound like a nitpick, but it may be a sign that they are planning to do the whole episode -called "Cold War"!- pretending that there was no such thing as the USSR or communism, which would be really disappointing, as there are so many great angles you can take with the episode's premise which that would spoil.

I hope we see at least one Hammer & Sickle flag somewhere, or maybe a small Lenin statue.
TommyR01D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 06:07 PM   #5
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

concern unfounded. :-)
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Maybe "cold war" is more about the ice Warrior than the time period.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 06:12 PM   #7
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

It's clearly meant to taken both ways.
Old April 13 2013, 06:19 PM   #8
davejames
Vice Admiral

It could just be that they realize today's kids aren't as familiar with the term "Soviet" anymore.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 06:21 PM   #9
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
It could just be that they realize today's kids aren't as familiar with the term "Soviet" anymore.
The episode itself renders the conversation irrelevant.
Old April 13 2013, 06:52 PM   #10
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Wish the ending was a bit less Disney as I really liked the grittier, Saward-esque feel to most of the episode but it was a solid story.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 06:57 PM   #11
zarkon
Captain

Muuucccccchhh better then last week. Clear resolution based on what went on during the episode as opposed to an arsepull, and David Warner was (as always) great.

Also - Great Intelligence, Ice Warrior, HADS.

anniversary year is troughton year
Old April 13 2013, 07:05 PM   #12
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Not a bad ep, but did anyone else think the Sub was a little wide to what you normally see on TV?
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 07:09 PM   #13
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
Not a bad ep, but did anyone else think the Sub was a little wide to what you normally see on TV?
Yes, they discussed this in the Radio Times, it was because it would be hard to do some of what they wanted to do with a 'normal' sized vessel.
Old April 13 2013, 07:21 PM   #14
The Badger
Fleet Captain

Much better than last week. Very 'Alien' in places, hunting something nasty through a confined space, but Doctor Who has 'borrowed' ideas from other sources before. The redesign of the Ice Warrior looks even better on screen than in still pictures.

Good performances all round, good music (and not intrusive this week). Skaldak's face when seen was decent CGI, though not entirely convincing. The exterior shots of the sub were excellent.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 07:27 PM   #15
Wereghost
Commodore

Missed the start, but gave this a Nice Warrior! based on what I did see. This was a very good old-school romp and for my money the best of the 2013 batch so far. Good to see Warner and Cunningham on the show, and I thought I detected one or two minor nods to Warner's prior association with the franchise. Jenna-Louise Coleman continues to impress, too.

I thought of the HADS the moment the TARDIS started wheezing. Hasn't been used on-screen since The Krotons, if I recall. That and the setting gave this what I can describe as a Troughtonesque feel.

The Ice Warrior impressed. Great use of the voice, and nice to see Gatiss doing something new with the concept by having this one out of armour. Speaking of Gatiss, I think this is probably his most robust Who episode to date.

Did anyone take note when the Ice Warrior mentioned the "old times" and it seemed to put the Doctor almost off-kilter? It took me back to Lady Peinforte's conversation with the Doctor in the 25th anniversary story Silver Nemesis, which I think is being added to the iPlayer catalogue today. In that story Peinforte referred to the "Old Time" on Gallifrey, a time of chaos, and raised what we now think of as the First Question. Could be nothing, of course.

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Wish the ending was a bit less Disney as I really liked the grittier, Saward-esque feel to most of the episode but it was a solid story.
It did seem to have a bit of an Earthshock vibe with the confined setting and the hapless redshirts being essentially turned to mush/chunks.