TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old May 20 2013, 03:08 PM   #16
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek Continues posted solicitation on Facebook

i liked farragut precisely because the captain wasn't a larger than life kirk-like character. he seemed more like a regular guy that has to deal with extraordinary situations.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 05:01 PM   #17
TrekGirl
Ensign

View TrekGirl's Twitter Profile

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Loken wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
And their Kirk is such an excellent Shatner impersonation.
And I think that is the problem. You shouldn't be doing an impersonation of another actor. You should be interpreting the character in your own way. No James Bond actor ever tried to impersonate Sean Connery. Each actor brought their own vision to the roll.

Impersonations of Shatner are invariably caricatures.
I tend to agree. Obviously mileage varies, but personally I prefer to see a fresh take over someone just ageing another actor's performance.

I also think, and I'm sure plenty will disagree, that's why some people dislike other interpretations of Kirk. Because they want the person playing Kirk to just be a clone.

You just can't please everyone.
You certainly cannot. On other forums people have complained that he doesn't sound ENOUGH like Shatner, that his voice is "higher than Shatner's"...while others say he SOUNDS like him, but doesn't LOOK like him. Then still others say, he looks and/or sounds TOO MUCH like him...that he is simply doing an impersonation.

Just like so many complained about James Cawley's hair color. Again, comparing him to Shatner.

If I were Vic, James or anyone involved in producing a fan film, I'd steer clear of any forums. I'd just do it the way I think it should be done and have fun doing it. Because reading these forums would surely be a frustrating experience.
TrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 06:26 PM   #18
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

I will chime in and note that Jimm Johnson's Garrovick was an entirely different type of Captain than we have seen before. Obviously a brilliant officer, but cold and reserved (grim?) with massive emotional baggage. The dynamic Dennis Bailey created with the internal stresses and conflict of the command crew was a very interesting take on how professionalism can overcome personality conflicts.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 07:14 PM   #19
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Jimm Johnson gave me a lot of guidance on different aspects of the characters' histories, and I picked up on things that I particularly liked from "The Savage Empire."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 09:13 PM   #20
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Jimm Johnson gave me a lot of guidance on different aspects of the characters' histories, and I picked up on things that I particularly liked from "The Savage Empire."
The Exeter crew wasn't a big bunch of warm fuzzy teddy bears, but when the crunch came they could get the job done and I think that's a more real take on ship operations than many we've seen in the Trekverse.
Old May 21 2013, 07:31 AM   #21
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
The Exeter crew wasn't a big bunch of warm fuzzy teddy bears, but when the crunch came they could get the job done and I think that's a more real take on ship operations than many we've seen in the Trekverse.
That was the thing that appealed to me about it, and when I rewrote the sadly unfilmed "The Atlantis Invaders" my mantra was "these are professionals, and they should act it". For instance, I had a scene where Cutty popped off two phasers shots, at night, and took out two targets and long range because that's what he's trained to do. The characters could disagree, and even be catty in casual circumstances, but when the situation got serious, so did they.

I also liked that Exeter remembered what the original show was like: it wasn't a "family". It was a crew.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 03:02 PM   #22
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, the Exeter characters were each caught up in the trajectory of their own careers to a greater extent than the Enterprise crew have eventually been portrayed to be. Well, except for B'Fuselek; who knows what's going on with that guy?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 03:35 PM   #23
xortex
Commodore

Well, Pike was highly conflicted from the get go, and Kirk was conflicted as well. He questioned his command judgement when crew members died. I'm sure if the series had gone on his back story would had gotten more conflicted as it did with Carol Marcus.
When TNG premiered, my local paper pegged Patrick Stewart's Picard as a cold monolithic character that was half alive and that some people are actually content to go through life half alive. Wow, what a review right off the bat.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 04:45 PM   #24
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

Of course, that "half-alive" issue was addressed brilliantly in "Tapestry".
Old May 21 2013, 06:17 PM   #25
USS Intrepid
Commodore

I've always liked the Exeter characters, who really felt like a fresh take on things. I also have no problem with James Cawley as Kirk. I haven't seen enough of Vic's Kirk to know what I think.
Old May 22 2013, 05:22 PM   #26
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

I really want to see the new Continues episode before I make a full judgement on Vic's Kirk. From what I have seen, he's got the body language down pat but the voice doesn't work as well for me. I think part of it is that the look is so convincing that Vic's very different voice stands out more.

Another thing I like is that Continues and Phase 2 seem to be taking very different but complementary directions, with Continues following directly on from TOS and Phase 2 drawing from the unfilmed 70's series and even TAS.

Then again, I'll take all the TOS-era fan films I can get.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 04:20 AM   #27
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

I can't understand judging a series after only its first episode, (unless it's a one-shot) ... let alone after a few short films (I refuse to use that weird 'v' word)... when not even the first full episode has been released. geez louise... I'm not against judging, but judging requires EVIDENCE. Wait until Episode 2 of Continues ... THEN judge.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 10:09 AM   #28
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

^^^ I couldn't agree more. What I've seen is promising in several areas. Personality issues are not of any interest to me. I don't want to be friends with the cast members: I want their product to entertain me. It's wonderful if actors are warm, fuzzy teddy bears in real life, but that wasn't the case with a lot of the actors from the professional series and it didn't have any impact on my enjoyment of them. I don't see why a fan produced series should be any different.
Old May 24 2013, 06:32 PM   #29
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile

I thought I'd be able to get it done, but I won't be able to finish my entry in time. If I had seen this early and had the full amount of time I would have been ok, but a week just wasn't enough time. If anyone is interested, I may post my treatment when I do finish it.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 08:21 PM   #30
xortex
Commodore

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
Of course, that "half-alive" issue was addressed brilliantly in "Tapestry".
Except that he still came back half dead.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote