Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 14 2013, 12:08 AM   #16
Metryq
Captain

Re: Are All Universes Ultimately Connected?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Best "WTF?" moment in television history.
Didn't DALLAS pull this stunt, as well? (I never watched a single episode, but I remember hearing others talk about it.) "It was all a dream." What a cop out—the writers paint themselves into a corner, then wipe it all away with a lame excuse.

"Oh well, I guess it was just a TV show."
Old April 14 2013, 12:51 AM   #17
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Some of the universes could "overlap." For example the Robocop universe and the Star Trek universe could be the same one. We know that San Fransisco had "sanctuary district's" at one point, so maybe the city of Detroit was taken over by a corporation.

Given the way the real life Detroit is going, would that be so hard to believe?

Harry Potter could possible be in the Trek universe as well. We've seen beings with unusual abilities.

The Terminator universe and the Trek universe histories are too different to be the same.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 12:53 AM   #18
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ And not even that definitive, really. Just because Tommy might have dreamed of a thing, a place, an entire show, etc., doesn't mean it didn't "really happen".

And who's to say that the final scene itself wasn't the dream?
The scene really loses a lot that way because it doesn't have any bearing on every episode before it then.

Metryq wrote: View Post
Didn't DALLAS pull this stunt, as well? (I never watched a single episode, but I remember hearing others talk about it.) "It was all a dream." What a cop out—the writers paint themselves into a corner, then wipe it all away with a lame excuse.
Eh, characters coming back from the dead isn't all that surprising in soap operas, even primetime ones. What was perhaps more surprising (or disappointing, depending on your point of view) was how they brought the character back, IMO.
Old April 14 2013, 12:58 AM   #19
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

"Bobby in the Shower" was a modern classic.

Old April 14 2013, 01:55 AM   #20
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

They're probably all connected through Doctor Who I suppose, with its lead character's ability to travel anywhere in his TARDIS.

During 9th & 10th Doctor stories, Star Trek is a television show referenced by people as we would, because of its memorable pop culture status... and in a comic-book, presumably connected to the 11th Doctor, he and his companions will suddenly be rub shoulders with the TNG crew and the Borg.

In 1993, the Doctor flipped back and forth between different incarnations while trapped in Albert Square, with its residents getting old and younger too. That's the location of a fictious British soap opera, generally considered as such in-universe when the show was eventually revived in 2005.

No doubt Sherlock Holmes has been both the literary creation of Arthur Conan Doyle and a real person at various points in its 50 year history too.
Old April 14 2013, 02:21 AM   #21
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Spock make a verbal reference in TUC to the effect that Sherlock Holmes was one of his mother's actual ancestors.

Old April 14 2013, 04:06 AM   #22
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

^ Since Sherlock Holmes was clearly established in TNG to be a fictional character written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle even in the Trek universe, I interpret Spock's line to mean that Doyle, not Holmes, was his ancestor.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 06:43 AM   #23
t_smitts
Commander

Metryq wrote: View Post

"Oh well, I guess it was just a TV show."
Patrick Duffy's character had been killed off when he left the show. When he wanted to come back (or they convinced him to come back, not sure which), they decided the entire season since his death had been a dream.

The tricky part is, I read somewhere that the spin-off Knots Landing had acknowledged his death and even named a new baby after his character.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 09:10 PM   #24
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Some of the universes could "overlap." For example the Robocop universe and the Star Trek universe could be the same one. We know that San Fransisco had "sanctuary district's" at one point, so maybe the city of Detroit was taken over by a corporation.

Given the way the real life Detroit is going, would that be so hard to believe?

Harry Potter could possible be in the Trek universe as well. We've seen beings with unusual abilities.

The Terminator universe and the Trek universe histories are too different to be the same.

I don't think that any of these universes make up the same universe. I'm just wondering if all fictional universes could ultimately be part of one large multiverse. Obviously there's no proof for this, but I just thought it was an intriguing idea.
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 11:06 PM   #25
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

CoveTom wrote: View Post
^ Since Sherlock Holmes was clearly established in TNG to be a fictional character written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle even in the Trek universe, I interpret Spock's line to mean that Doyle, not Holmes, was his ancestor.
Or it could have been one of his Vulcan ancestors. It's a very Vulcan thing to say - that if you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains (however improbable) must be the truth. Isn't that logical?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:00 AM   #26
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

There is the thought that Sherlock Holmes is based on a actual person (or a composition of people) and that Arthur Doyle didn't really create him out of whole cloth.

Old April 17 2013, 11:13 AM   #27
Metryq
Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
There is the thought that Sherlock Holmes is based on a actual person (or a composition of people) and that Arthur Doyle didn't really create him out of whole cloth.

There's an excellent movie on that.
Old April 19 2013, 09:51 PM   #28
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
Do you think that all universes are ultimately connected? Not just the various Star Trek universes (e.g., the DS9 Mirror Universe), but all fictional universes, such as the Robocop universe, the Terminator universe, the He-Man universe, the DC and Marvel universes, etc. Even cartoon universes, such as the Looney Tunes universe.

Could someone theoretically travel to any of these fictional universes (all being a part of the multiverse), or are they not connected in any way?
I travel to them all the time... I think I'm in one now...
Perhaps in another I was born with a different name and died there...

I think Star Trek (2009) conclusively proves that anything can happen in Star Trek, even non-Star Trek can happen in Star Trek!

The TNG episode "Parallels" defines this for you...
It's also the only way to reconcile all the Trek novels and zine stories... There are different Trek universes, different Trek timelines... I'm not talking anything as drastic as "Mirror, Mirror" just slightly different Trek timelines...

Here's some popular ones...
The UFP is founded in 2127 and has thousands of different starship classes... ST-TMP takes place in 2267... That's classic Treknical fandom...
In another it's founded as early as 2087, with a 21st Century that's virtually a new Golden Age... No wars until the Romulans come along...
That's Spaceflight Chronology and FASA for you...
The 5-year mission starts as early as 2206 or 2207 here, too...
Then there's this horrible one with Xindi critters in the 22nd Century, the Federation doesn't get founded until 2161, Vulcans are just as emotional and illogical as Romulans (and by the time you finish up on the novels in this timeline you'll know that Everyone knows who the Romulans look like!), phasers are in use before or instead of lasers, and with TOS only starting around 2265 or 2266...

Then there's this Horrible one with Red Matter from the future, a supernova which can destroy the galaxy, Sulu who thinks he's a Ninja, Delta Vega that is no longer at the edge of the galaxy but in Vulcan orbit, and starships that are built whole On Planets and reportedly powered by water that flows through these huge glass pipes in an engine room resembling a brewery, and this thing called Transwarp Beaming which can transport people anywhere in the universe--even aboard starships at warp speed... In this strange universe, Star Fleet operates along different principles; for instance, rank and the chain of command is meaningless--instead, the kid with the biggest mouth commands and is, in fact, given captaincy of their newest and most powerful starship!

Last edited by Lenny Nurdbol; April 19 2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Supplemental
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 07:15 AM   #29
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

The absolute worst universe I've ever seen is the one where Star Trek is Serious Business.

I think it's called the Internet.
Old April 20 2013, 02:29 PM   #30
R. Star
Rear Admiral

CoveTom wrote: View Post
Yeah that was always how I saw it too.