Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 20 2013, 09:17 PM   #31
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

Re: The Official "Oblivion" Review Thread

All that means is that some (probably allot) will see it in a different media than in an overpriced movie theater.
Old April 20 2013, 09:27 PM   #32
stj
Rear Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
I've seen a few professional reviews that seemed off, like they were repeating from a script. That script is that Oblivion is totally derivative. This may seem plausible except that if you've seen Oblivion you haven't seen much of the movies it's supposedly ripping off.
Then I guess you've missed a lot of movies, because this is one time the paid reviewers got it absolutely right. I lost count listing all the movies it cribbed from in my head. (And cartoons. That blown-up moon looked like they took it right from Thundarr the Barbarian.)

Doesn't mean it was a bad movie. A good science fiction story and decent acting all around.
Or the destroyed Moon might have come from The Time Machine remake. The ultimate source is probably Arthur Clarke. Whether a few seconds of scenery constitutes cribbing is another question. I don't think that the supposedly unique images being ripped off by Oblivion are quite as original as assumed.

Love Affair, An Affair to Remember and Sleepless in Seattle are by far the movies Oblivion stole most blatantly from. Yet I don't think anyone could sensibly argue that Oblivion's Empire State Building experience is old hat and stale for that reason.

Yet another question is, why single out Oblivion when most movies do exactly the same thing? A recent example is Olympus Is Fallen. I too was thinking of previous movies and lost track of bits of movies it reminded me of. There was no chorus of reviewers singing in chorus about that. Singling out Oblivion on this issue like complaining one pot in the kitchen is black, when most of the others are too. The amount of borrowing in movies is so large that there are numerous movies that have taken nothing from real life at all.

In the sense of actually addressing the movie, I must still maintain that the blather about ripping off other movies is at best misconceived. It misleads attention, for instance, from the weakness of the female characters, which is a genuine criticism. In that sense, the paid reviewers most certainly got it wrong.

As to whether Oblivion is a good SF movie? I suppose it depends upon what standard you want to choose. It forthrightly declares that people are who they are because of their experiences, their memories. Bad news for Alzheimer's patients! But is this something true about people? Part of assessing Oblivion as a work of art means deciding whether you agree. If you do, I suppose you might think Oblivion is profoundly insightful. The movie also says that a true love can't be eradicated from a memory, which I think we can all agree is unfortunately not true. Does this mean Oblivion is sentimental hokum?

Again, the thing is, whatever you think of Oblivion, is that tripe about ripping off other movies isn't a real review. Maybe people think that a favorable review of a Cruise movie is supporting Scientology against Christianity?
Old April 20 2013, 10:25 PM   #33
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Review: Tom Cruise’s ‘Oblivion’ a sci-fi adventure to remember

Oblivion” has the ability to haunt you visually and, with an unanticipated love story, even emotionally. Written by Karl Gajdusek and Michael DeBruyn, this is a piece of futuristic fiction intended for adults, not their children, a film in which firefights and futuristic weapons feel more like afterthoughts than reasons for being.
Old April 20 2013, 11:10 PM   #34
Bisz
Rear Admiral

I have been looking forward to this movie for a while and saw it last night.

I enjoyed it a lot and think it is very entertaining. It certainly shares many of its plot elements with other movies/comics/books/etc but for me that didn't detract from it at all.

Critics call it copying, Kosinski calls it homage. Whatever. Its still a movie I enjoyed and would recommend.
Old April 20 2013, 11:15 PM   #35
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Can anyone tell me where Jack got the second intact life pod at the end? I thought only one was salvagable?
I would assume that their original international ship had enough pods for everyone on board. Since Jack and Victoria were in the command module their pods on the capsule would have been empty, and thus not destroyed by the drones when the capsule crashed to earth since the drones only attacked human occupied pods.
Old April 20 2013, 11:57 PM   #36
The Wormhole
Admiral

This was a pretty good movie. At first, I thought things rather cliched, set in the future where the main character is fixated on the time period in the past which coincidentally is the movie's release date (or near enough, in this case) and I totally had it figured out the "Scavs" were actually humans.

However, I was totally surprised where the story went prett much as soon as Jack Harper met the other version of himself. And when all is said and done, we even get a satisfactory explanation for why Harper is fixated with modern times.

Okay, but here's a though, are the various numbers assigned to the Harpers an indication of how many there are? Given the main one is 49 and the one he met up with is 52, does that mean there are at least 52? If so, what will happen to the other fifty? They can't all reunite with Julia and raise their daughter. Though I suppose there's no real reason why they can't continue their marriages with their respecitve Victorias.
Old April 21 2013, 12:26 AM   #37
Mr Light
Admiral

I enjoyed the movie, but it's long and slow pacing probably won't warrant a re-watch. It was visually gorgeous and the soundtrack almost sounded like Tron Legacy (this is a good thing!). I just can't believe it took an entire hour before the story really kicked into gear.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 12:34 AM   #38
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

I went to see it last night and I really enjoyed it. It kept me thinking throughout the story, and the visuals were fantastic. It is worth seeing in the theater.
Old April 21 2013, 01:22 AM   #39
antichristhill
Fleet Admiral

I thought it was OK, but I really felt it was so derivative, as if they took bits and pieces from several other good science fiction films, mixed them up and rearranged them into one screenplay.

I thought the actors were all very good and the visuals were stunning but I couldn't help thinking, "Wow, that reminds me of....
so the big reveal was a bit of a letdown.

I don't know what I was hoping for, but this just felt a bit hollow to me.
Old April 21 2013, 01:29 AM   #40
teacock
Admiral

It was definitely derivative but I was so happy to be watching sci fi and enjoying the visuals I didn't care. Also I'm the gullible person they write plot twists for, I had no idea what was coming.

They could lessen some of the glaring associations with other movies by not setting it in America for once. The torch bit, brief as it was, was completely eye rolling to me.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 11:59 AM   #41
Chris_Johnston
Captain

View Chris_Johnston's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Chris_Johnston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Johnston

Saw it in IMAX (my first time watching a feature film in the format) Friday night.
My biggest problem was with my eyeballs drying out, because I only blinked about once every three minutes! (Good thing I brought eye drops!)
However, I have to see it again, but this time I'm gonna make sure it's digitally-projected IMAX, because ours was 70mm film, and nowhere near the sharpness I've come to expect these days.
Old April 21 2013, 02:12 PM   #42
stj
Rear Admiral

If we insist that the derivative tag is useful, shouldn't we actually use it?

For example, if the presence of a potted plant means Wall*E is ripped off, what does it mean that Oblivion's potted plant is immediately destroyed?

Or, what does it mean that Oblivion's plot is far more like Impostor than Moon? (Impostor, a Gary Sinise movie where a heretofore unaware duplicate uses himself against the enemy.)

Or, how does the business with the ring and "seeing the future" resonate/metacomment on Love Affair/An Affair to Remember/Sleepless in Seattle?

Maybe we should try to get past the reviewers' effort to crush the movie and consider real questions instead. Why does 52 leave, just to spend three years searching for the woman who was about a hundred yards away? Was this a plausible route to a satisfying happy ending, or bad plotting for a wallow in sentimentality?
Old April 21 2013, 03:44 PM   #43
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

For example, if the presence of a potted plant means Wall*E is ripped off, what does it mean that Oblivion's potted plant is immediately destroyed?
It was in Wall-E as well. Or an attempt was made once the AI knew about it. The only difference in Wall-E is that the humans are on the Tet and not the planet. In fact I wounder how many humans are really left and where the aliens from the tet were. Did the AI kill them too like the Starchild in MassEffect?

Or, what does it mean that Oblivion's plot is far more like Impostor than Moon? (Impostor, a Gary Sinise movie where a heretofore unaware duplicate uses himself against the enemy.)

Or, how does the business with the ring and "seeing the future" resonate/metacomment on Love Affair/An Affair to Remember/Sleepless in Seattle?

Maybe we should try to get past the reviewers' effort to crush the movie and consider real questions instead. Why does 52 leave, just to spend three years searching for the woman who was about a hundred yards away? Was this a plausible route to a satisfying happy ending, or bad plotting for a wallow in sentimentality?
Who says 52 spent three years looking for anything. He looked perfectly happy doing his drone thing until 49 put a lock hold on him.
Old April 21 2013, 04:01 PM   #44
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

I posted this in the other Oblivion thread but this one seems to have taken over. There were a couple of things I was wondering -

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 07:24 PM   #45
stj
Rear Admiral

ThunderAeroI wrote: View Post

It was in Wall-E as well. Or an attempt was made once the AI knew about it. The only difference in Wall-E is that the humans are on the Tet and not the planet. In fact I wounder how many humans are really left and where the aliens from the tet were. Did the AI kill them too like the Starchild in MassEffect?
The plant serves as a MacGuffin for a goodly portion of Wall*E, which is quite a difference. Also, one important theme of Wall*E is people decaying within the techonological cocoon that saves them from the immediate consequences of destroying their environment. This theme is not present at all in Oblivion. If you insist that Oblivion's potted plant rips off Wall*E, so be it. That is the script apparently. But you aren't saying anything interesting or important about Oblivion.

Who says 52 spent three years looking for anything. He looked perfectly happy doing his drone thing until 49 put a lock hold on him.
It was 52 who said this, in narration. It was possibly 52 narrating during the whole movie, but any ambiguity on this only reinforces one of the movie's themes.

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
I posted this in the other Oblivion thread but this one seems to have taken over. There were a couple of things I was wondering -

49 is trained to reprogram devices as part of repairs. As when he reprograms the drone, he can use this skill to deceive Sally. Did this need to be shown?

Strictly speaking, only 49 and 52 know anything about J. Rusakova. 52's Victoria must have been out of contact or she would have tipped off Sally, making the rest of the action impossible. Did that need to be shown as well?