Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old April 14 2013, 03:16 AM   #16
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Re: Drex Files is gone!

Well crap. I downloaded a few images occasionally for research, so I still have those. John Eaves' blog is still active, and he sometimes does pinup photography with the girls in a familiar red dress.
Old April 14 2013, 04:40 AM   #17
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Wow. If this is permanent, it is a great loss for Trek tech fandom. I used to follow DrexFiles religiously. It would be absolutely horrible if it were dead due likely to nothing more than what seems to be an accidental misunderstanding.
Old April 15 2013, 12:46 AM   #18
timelord1010
Captain

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Wow. If this is permanent, it is a great loss for Trek tech fandom. I used to follow DrexFiles religiously. It would be absolutely horrible if it were dead due likely to nothing more than what seems to be an accidental misunderstanding.
I agree with you 100%. I have been going to Mr. Drexler's site for years and saved some of his Trek images for personal use, mainly for my desktop images.

He also had some incredible behind the scenes stories that were incredible. Like the story of a guy that came across the Enterprise TV show sets being destroyed and he tried to get a truck to pick them up but the person in charge had orders from "a high up CBS Exec" that hated Trek to have them destroyed.
This story was on Mr. Drexler's site, with pictures.

This truly was a incredible source of information that I hope can return along with the archived information.
timelord1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 01:02 AM   #19
SeerSGB
Admiral

If you were into modeling (CGI or physical) his blog was a invaluable resource. Not to mention the little technical articles he wrote up for the NX-01 explaing this or that bit of tech.

timelord1010 wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I agree with you 100%. I have been going to Mr. Drexler's site for years and saved some of his Trek images for personal use, mainly for my desktop images.

He also had some incredible behind the scenes stories that were incredible. Like the story of a guy that came across the Enterprise TV show sets being destroyed and he tried to get a truck to pick them up but the person in charge had orders from "a high up CBS Exec" that hated Trek to have them destroyed.
This story was on Mr. Drexler's site, with pictures.

This truly was a incredible source of information that I hope can return along with the archived information.
Didn't John Eaves have a similar story/report on his blog? Seemed like Paramount/Viacom/CBS really wanted to send a message to the "Save Enteprise" people/Fans in general that Trek was dead, done, get over, it's buried.
Old April 16 2013, 12:18 AM   #20
publiusr
Commodore

I hate it when bright people have falling outs, as with Thomas and Iverson and what not.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 01:42 AM   #21
Saul
Rear Admiral

Major suckage.

Not only do we lose so many cool images we would have never seen without Doug we also lose all those stories and behind the scene moments that give a real appreciation for his and others work on Star Trek.
The man has an Oscar, he has helped other artists too and got some people onto the Ships of the Line calendar. Whomever thought he was claiming their work are being ridiculous.
Old April 16 2013, 01:53 AM   #22
T J
Commodore

Pffffft! That figures! It's a site all Trek fans love. Some one complains and it's over. Frackin' stupid!
Old April 16 2013, 01:57 AM   #23
SeerSGB
Admiral

Drex TV (which had the Ships Of The Line:ACTIVE DUTY! shorts in it) was one of my favorite vlogs/webseries. Doug woud do great with a regular online series dedicated to classic hollywood and the behind the scenes "secrets" of the old school VFX gurus.
Old April 16 2013, 02:43 AM   #24
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

I really seriously hope he finds a way to come back!!!
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 03:21 AM   #25
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile

Well, this is no good.
For those interested though, Doug posts a lot of behind the scenes type things on his facebook page and seems to be generally accepting of friend requests from fans.
https://www.facebook.com/doug.drexler.7

"I'll come as fast as I can." Sheriff Walt Longmire
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 11:39 PM   #26
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

Well this sucks.

I oddly went to my bookmarks and opened The Drex Files for a browse and catch up from where I left off. Shame I didn't save that many images. Should've done really.

Such a great resource for casual fans and hardcore alike. I used it frequently for my art work, great for kitbashing ideas too.

I then came here to see if a thread was up about it.

Shame dude, we'll miss ya, Doug.

Hope he's back eventually.
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 12:15 AM   #27
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

I had saved quite a few images of ships and such way back when, but it was hardly comprehensive. Did anybody out there archive his site ever?
Old April 21 2013, 12:25 AM   #28
Avon
Fleet Captain

it's a sucky situation, but i can see where people are coming from if they objected to their work being posted with 'drex files' all over it

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 01:45 AM   #29
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

If you know how to use web.archive.org you can retrieve most of it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 01:59 PM   #30
NewHorizon
Captain

Unbelievable. I never once got the impression he was taking credit for anything. Did these VFX 'artists' actually read the bloody blog? If they had they would have realized he was promoting who did the work, not taking credit for it.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote