Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 16 2013, 04:11 PM   #16
Plain Simple
Commodore

Re: Children's scifi and fantasy: an appeal to your collective memory

publiusr wrote: View Post
There was an anthology book that had "All You Can Eat" and "An Evening at Lotha5r's" that I've misplaced.
I'm afraid I don't understand your post. Is this in reply to mine, or are you asking for the title of that anthology book?

It's Tolkien, not Tolkein.
Plain Simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 08:47 PM   #17
publiusr
Commodore

I was asking for the title, I'm sorry.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 07:21 AM   #18
Plain Simple
Commodore

publiusr wrote: View Post
I was asking for the title, I'm sorry.
I'm afraid I can't help out there. I'm sure you've tried Googling? I can't even find references to the two stories you mention, let alone an anthology in which they appeared. You don't remember the author(s), I suppose?

Old April 22 2013, 11:56 AM   #19
yousirname
Commander

Plain Simple wrote: View Post
The other is a fantasy novel (or possibly series of novels) about some children all around the world with some special powers, that have to come together to prevent something bad from happening. I think the story tracks some of the children on their search for the remaining children, while being chased or obstructed by the villain. Part of it might play in China, but I could be wrong about that. I'm less certain about the time of publishing here, but it can't have been later than mid nineties, I suspect, but again, probably earlier.
This wouldn't be Chocky, would it? I better remember the BBC series adapted from it - Chocky's Choice, Chocky's Challenge, Chocky's Children, not sure in what order.

Though in reading the summary, I'm not sure it's that close a fit at all.

If that's not it, then before you wander into the wilds of Google, you might give AbeBooks a try, massive database of children's books searchable by keywords, date, etc. My sisters and I were tracking down old childrens' books when my niece was born and we found it very useful.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:44 PM   #20
Dale Sams
Captain

I also need some help remembering the name of a novel. This is what I remember:

The protagonist is a baseball player, war starts with an alien race, he goes off to war, the aliens have the ability to shoot lasers from their stalked single-eyes, if a hole is punched in a spaceship the humans have a gun that shoots out a rapidly expanding sticky blob to seal it. Near the end the protagonist is face to face with an injured alien on the moon (?) the alien keeps blinking his eye at the guy, which the guy interprets as the alien trying to attack him. The guy saves the aliens life, then the guy falls unconscious.

When he comes to in a hospital, the war has ended and it was discovered that the aliens 'lasers' were actually signal beams and the war started over a misunderstanding.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:57 PM   #21
yousirname
Commander

Enemy Mine?
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 12:40 AM   #22
Plain Simple
Commodore

yousirname wrote: View Post
Plain Simple wrote: View Post
The other is a fantasy novel (or possibly series of novels) about some children all around the world with some special powers, that have to come together to prevent something bad from happening. I think the story tracks some of the children on their search for the remaining children, while being chased or obstructed by the villain. Part of it might play in China, but I could be wrong about that. I'm less certain about the time of publishing here, but it can't have been later than mid nineties, I suspect, but again, probably earlier.
This wouldn't be Chocky, would it? I better remember the BBC series adapted from it - Chocky's Choice, Chocky's Challenge, Chocky's Children, not sure in what order.

Though in reading the summary, I'm not sure it's that close a fit at all.

If that's not it, then before you wander into the wilds of Google, you might give AbeBooks a try, massive database of children's books searchable by keywords, date, etc. My sisters and I were tracking down old childrens' books when my niece was born and we found it very useful.
I don't think it's "Chocky", but thanks for the info and for the AbeBooks link!

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
I also need some help remembering the name of a novel. This is what I remember:

The protagonist is a baseball player, war starts with an alien race, he goes off to war, the aliens have the ability to shoot lasers from their stalked single-eyes, if a hole is punched in a spaceship the humans have a gun that shoots out a rapidly expanding sticky blob to seal it. Near the end the protagonist is face to face with an injured alien on the moon (?) the alien keeps blinking his eye at the guy, which the guy interprets as the alien trying to attack him. The guy saves the aliens life, then the guy falls unconscious.

When he comes to in a hospital, the war has ended and it was discovered that the aliens 'lasers' were actually signal beams and the war started over a misunderstanding.
Wish I could help here, but this doesn't sound familiar at all to me. Which is not saying much.

Old May 4 2013, 03:05 PM   #23
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Sorry I'm not much help here, but I was wondering if I could post one too. There are two stories. The first involved an alien who took the form of a cat or a dog. The second involved some kind of transporter system where your consciousness was transferred to a robotic duplicate. In the story, a kid visited his grandmother on mars.

Any of these stories sound familiar?
Old May 12 2013, 12:19 AM   #24
Plain Simple
Commodore

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Sorry I'm not much help here, but I was wondering if I could post one too. There are two stories. The first involved an alien who took the form of a cat or a dog. The second involved some kind of transporter system where your consciousness was transferred to a robotic duplicate. In the story, a kid visited his grandmother on mars.

They remind me of some Star Trek stories (except for the grandmother on Mars bit), but that's probably not what you're after. As for the grandmother, I understand it's the singer of Nightwish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Faq1k30zVy8

Old May 12 2013, 05:25 PM   #25
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Sorry I'm not much help here, but I was wondering if I could post one too. There are two stories. The first involved an alien who took the form of a cat or a dog.

The Cat from Outer Space? I think it was a Disney movie.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 12:18 AM   #26
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Could be. I suppose there was a novelization of the movie?