TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 1 2013, 01:28 AM   #76
Rick Sternbach
Fleet Captain

Re: Making the Intepid Class Prototype (Sternbach)

JES wrote: View Post
By the way, Mr. Sternbach, if you happen to read this, I want you to know that the Nova and the Prometheus are among my favorite canon Starfleet designs, up there with the Sovereign class.
Thanks! Those two were the beginnings of a design cycle that ended too soon for me. But that's okay; I'm actually fiddling with a lot of the hull details that worked, and you may see the results somewhere down the road.

Rick
Old May 1 2013, 09:26 PM   #77
calamity_si
Lieutenant Commander

Well Rick, I for one would be happy reading a thread with just your napkin doodles!

It's a crying shame that you never got to design any of the ships from Star Trek online. Some of those Klingon and Fed designs just don't look right!
Old May 2 2013, 12:01 AM   #78
HarryM
Fleet Captain

I do like his more realistic style. Very tired of gothic designs and "blade" nacelles.
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 01:33 AM   #79
Rick Sternbach
Fleet Captain

calamity_si wrote: View Post
Well Rick, I for one would be happy reading a thread with just your napkin doodles!

It's a crying shame that you never got to design any of the ships from Star Trek online. Some of those Klingon and Fed designs just don't look right!
Well, it's not for lack of trying to get involved, all the way back to talking to the Perpetual guys, which was like talking to a bunch of asylum inmates. Anyhow, I wouldn't be surprised if it really comes down to design and development folks wanting to play in the sandbox their own way, and I don't really have a problem with that. If game companies and others produce stuff that ticks the fan base off a bit, but still makes money, I suspect CBS won't yank on the reins. I think it's a bit like the Architect telling Neo "There are levels of survival we are prepared to accept."

Rick
Old May 5 2013, 09:36 PM   #80
calamity_si
Lieutenant Commander

Hi all,

I've just returned from a quick break and wanted you all to see my latest render. This is the ship all lit up!

Old May 6 2013, 08:26 PM   #81
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

She's a beaut, all lit up like that.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 12:53 AM   #82
HarryM
Fleet Captain

Looks great!
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 08:47 AM   #83
calamity_si
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys, here's a shot from another angle.
Old May 7 2013, 09:52 PM   #84
Bernard Guignard
Captain

Would it be possible for you to do Top, Side, Bottom, Bow and Stern views? Very nice work by the way
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trekno...yguid=89237652
Bernard Guignard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 11:54 PM   #85
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

I just saw on ebay the actual model of this for sale for 19K

search : "Star Trek Prototype" to see it
Old May 11 2013, 09:00 PM   #86
publiusr
Rear Admiral

Great work!
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 09:45 PM   #87
calamity_si
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks I've got another shot rendering as we speak. Is taken forever on my slow @$$ computer!
Old May 15 2013, 10:14 AM   #88
calamity_si
Lieutenant Commander

Finally got this shot done;

Old May 15 2013, 09:54 PM   #89
JES
Captain

Rick Sternbach wrote: View Post
JES wrote: View Post
By the way, Mr. Sternbach, if you happen to read this, I want you to know that the Nova and the Prometheus are among my favorite canon Starfleet designs, up there with the Sovereign class.
Thanks! Those two were the beginnings of a design cycle that ended too soon for me. But that's okay; I'm actually fiddling with a lot of the hull details that worked, and you may see the results somewhere down the road.

Rick
You're quite welcome. And if/when you do get anything else done, I'll be quite eager to look at them.

Rick Sternbach wrote: View Post
calamity_si wrote: View Post

Well, it's not for lack of trying to get involved, all the way back to talking to the Perpetual guys, which was like talking to a bunch of asylum inmates. Anyhow, I wouldn't be surprised if it really comes down to design and development folks wanting to play in the sandbox their own way, and I don't really have a problem with that. If game companies and others produce stuff that ticks the fan base off a bit, but still makes money, I suspect CBS won't yank on the reins. I think it's a bit like the Architect telling Neo "There are levels of survival we are prepared to accept."

Rick
Well, if Perpetual already had John Eaves and/or Ryan Denning on the design team at the time, then they probably felt that they qualified as being enough to get the job done well enough (though I can imagine that Eaves, Denning, and Sternbach would make a design dream team), and looking at the designs they were coming up with (and more importantly, the amount of work and detail that were going into them), they were probably right (though I'm still glad that Excalibur class didn't become the Enterprise-F; it would have made a fine alternate fleet command vessel/heavy cruiser/battleship, but not a fine Enterprise, though in the end, that is an opinion).

But Cryptic on the other hand is a completely different story. Now, before I go into how their first generation of designs were really quite badly designed, I should first say that I will say that without a doubt, their designs have drastically improved.

But Cryptic could have really used someone like you, especially to get them started with the first generation of designs. Many of the early designs were too chunky or had too many blocky design elements, which isn't really a good way to design a Starfleet vessel (this goes for many of the early variants and the Zephyr class and her blocky deflector module in particular), as opposed to being sleek looking like I expected, so I don't know what the designers were thinking when they went with those elements, and I wonder how long the conceptual process was, considering that I've only managed to find concept sketches for two Starfleet vessels, not counting the Enterprise-F/Odyssey class.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 02:16 AM   #90
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Kaiser wrote: View Post
I just saw on ebay the actual model of this for sale for 19K

search : "Star Trek Prototype" to see it
I'd be very skeptical about buying that without some kind of proof that it is in fact the original mock-up created for the show. There are a lot of talented scratch-build modelers out there.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote