Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old April 26 2013, 04:22 PM   #61
HarryM
Fleet Captain

Re: Making the Intepid Class Prototype (Sternbach)

I like that, makes it look less like the Ent-E as well with the nacelles inverted (but upright pylons). I never liked the Ent-E nacelles, they remind me of running shoes or something.

Nice work on the ship!
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 04:18 AM   #62
Rick Sternbach
Fleet Captain

calamity_si wrote: View Post
No problem Rick. As I thought of perhaps having the 'raised nacelles' version as a refit of this class, I added some extra impulse engines too. Kinda like the Excelsior, I thought the original impulse engines looked a bit weak on the original version. Anyways, here it is: What do you think? I think I still prefer the original...
I think it's an interesting variation. Thanks for indulging me.

Rick
Old April 27 2013, 05:40 AM   #63
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

I definitely prefer it with the pylons up. There's something about the pylons angled upward that suggests flight and speed that you don't get from downward pylons. That's just how I see it, anyway.

Does the ship have aft-facing torpedo tubes? If not maybe those could go in place of the center impulse engine now that you've added those extra engines.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 06:11 AM   #64
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I'd have to say I prefer it with nacelles down. It gives the ship a more individual look.
Old April 27 2013, 03:44 PM   #65
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
I'd have to say I prefer it with nacelles down. It gives the ship a more individual look.
Agreed. I would also add that I think that the nacelles-down configuration makes the ship look more sturdy overall. More of workhorse sort of design, which I like.
Old April 27 2013, 05:21 PM   #66
HarryM
Fleet Captain

It is good to get away from the standard Enterprise layout, good as it is (there's a reason they went with it originally after all). You can have downwards pylons work, a good example would be the Akira, D7, or Miranda. You can use certain tricks to make the design look less grounded. An example would be on the D7, the nacelles aren't vertical, they are angled inwards slightly, this gives a little "nervous energy" to the design, like someone on tip-toes. I think some refinement of the nacelles and pylons would help the design look a little less grounded.
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 02:37 PM   #67
calamity_si
Lieutenant Commander

This is the Intrepid Class starship prototype designed by Rick Sternbach. Many thanks to Mindless-Productions for the use of their Type 11 shuttle and simobassa for the use of his Nemesis Drydock.

Old April 28 2013, 09:37 PM   #68
publiusr
Commodore

I like the raised nacelles--what with the V for Victory stance.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 09:58 PM   #69
JES
Captain

I've always preferred the pointy nosed shovel-like primary hull shown in the concepts more than the blunt nosed spoon-shaped nose of the final version of the Intrepid class. I especially love the sketch where the primary hull looks flatter and wider, than what was chosen in the end.

I think it was a good thing that this design element was used for the Nova class and the Prometheus class.

By the way, Mr. Sternbach, if you happen to read this, I want you to know that the Nova and the Prometheus are among my favorite canon Starfleet designs, up there with the Sovereign class. They play a significant influence in my designs, and the amount of detail that you put into your sketches has influenced me to try to do the same in many of mine (well, at least the ones I post).

I'd have liked it better if the sharp nose and the wider looking stance of the saucer, like in the bottom concept sketch in the image below, and used that with the secondary hull that was used for the final design:

I also like how the secondary hull starts to become thinner in the top concept sketch, and how it transitions from thicker to thinner by a section of the hull curving, as opposed to having a section of the hull that has a faceted look.

I don't know if I like it as much as the simpler overall curves of the secondary hull of the final design, but it makes for an interesting design element.

And I like how the front edge of the bridge and the edge of the fan-tail is rounded and curves better than how they are blunt in what we ended up with, like what is shown in the top image, and Calamity_si's model.

I think that the first model that they did before starting all over might have looked better had they used some of these design elements. I also have never liked how the first model looks taller, as opposed to being flatter, and more splayed out, like something fast waiting to take off.

The final thing I can't help but notice is that most of the concepts are have better phaser arcs, with aft dorsal phasers on the secondary hull. This interestingly enough seems to have been remedied for the model used in STO.

Oh, and by the way Calamity_si, your model of Sternbach's concept looks fantastic! Your modeling skills have improved dramatically from what you had when you entered that Enterprise-F contest.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 12:36 AM   #70
Sarvek
Fleet Captain

Nice work. It is great to see the design realized.
Sarvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 02:39 AM   #71
QuinnTV
Lieutenant Commander

I'd hate to be the guy that has to use the lifeboat under the nacelle pylon!
QuinnTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 05:32 AM   #72
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Great ship. Would love to have seen it in action on screen.
Old April 29 2013, 01:37 PM   #73
calamity_si
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I'm still working on some renders. I'm basing them around the idea that this was originally going to be the Intrepid class but was abandoned at the last minute in favour of the existing design. The keel lay in drydock for almost a year and was going to be broken up. With the outbreak of the Dominion war, the sudden shortage of Federation ships meant that every keel that could be used, was. In keeping with the DS9 technical manual, many ships were fitted with the basic systems and rushed into service with large swathes of their internal volume left empty. This being one of those ships. It's basically gonna be a good excuse to render this beauty up against some Cardie and Dominion ships.
Old April 29 2013, 03:56 PM   #74
calamity_si
Lieutenant Commander

QuinnTV wrote: View Post
I'd hate to be the guy that has to use the lifeboat under the nacelle pylon!
Ha! Nice catch I may have to move that over a bit. Unless that escape hatch is reserved purely for redshirts lol!
Old April 30 2013, 08:30 PM   #75
CDR6
Lieutenant Commander

I'm a big fan of this design and this is great stuff! The only thing better is Sternbach's foamboard mock-up of the ship.

Regards,
Chuck